2008 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
BMW 550i Sport
By Peter B on 01/04/08 19:44 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

Just traded my 2005 545i for the 2008 550i and it feels like a completely different car. Interior is more luxurious and the car handles much better than the 2005. Automatic transmission is much smoother. This is my fourth BMW and it is by far the best one I have owned.

Best all around
By wdt on 12/23/07 11:30 AM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Had a 911, have 3 kids, needed something comfortable for the family. Looked at the 550i sport and thought I'd get too many tickets. The 535i sport is just a little more "real world", but still handles like a proper sport sedan. The xi models understeer more than I'd like, and the sport package on the i model is a true bmw sport package (suspension). The twin turbo motor gives you v8 torque and horsepower, I suspect that the ratings of 300 each is understated. Saving 10 grand over the 550 sport was worth it.

Great Luxury Car
By fm on 12/19/07 11:52 AM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

We had a 2006 325i which we traded for the 528i. The 3 series is a fun car to drive but the 5 series is truly a luxury automobile. The ride, comfort, workmanship & engineering is outstanding. My wife & I were somewhat apprehensive about the iDrive, but we both actually like it & it is not that difficult to use. This is our second BMW & would recommend the BMW brand to anyone looking for luxury.

BMW 550i
By TX Buzzard on 12/12/07 14:55 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

After carefully considering the 535i, I drove this 550i. WOW! This vehicle is exactly what "The Ultimate Driving Machine" is all about. The mid-size with the large V8 motor, M/T and Sports Package make this vehicle simply a blast to drive. The best car I have ever owned!

Fantastic!
By 528 fan on 12/08/07 17:34 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Great car. I purposely don't listen to the radio just to hear the sweet sound of the inline 6. Comfortable, fast, safe.

One Awesome Automobile
By Tom on 12/05/07 20:21 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

First BMW I've owned and I'm hooked. Tested the Infiniti M35 and Acura RL and the 535i blows them away. The car is rock solid, fast, and handles like a sports car. The interior is comfortable and quiet and the ride is perfect. The twin turbo inline 6 is a phenominal engine. Very smooth and plenty of power when you want it while providing better than expected milage (I'm averaging 20-22 mpg city and 28- 30 mpg highway). Simply the best car I've ever owned. You just want to keep taking it out for a drive.

The Perfect Middle Aged Car?
By 1Cannuck on 12/05/07 10:46 AM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Had the 08 535i for over a month. Took me an hour to configure the iDrive. Other than the climate module, it is actually real easy to use. The car is solid, quite luxurious and now actually looks great. I am driving this like a 50 yr old because I am babying this car and also the higher level of luxury and insulation from the raw elements. By comparison, I am Mr. Hyde behind my M Coupe. The couple of occassion when I had to make more energetic manoeuvre, the car was very stable and responsive. Mind you, I swapped out the OEM tire with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S which in my opinion, the best (Z rated tire with a 400 treadwear and can be driven all year round in Toronto).

A wagon that's a sport's car
By jimg on 12/01/07 06:26 AM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series 535xi 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Previously owned a Mercedes E class wagon and this is a totally different experience. I do find myself still comparing the two vehicles. I think the Mercedes seats have more support and my biggest disappointment with the BMW is the turning circle which is not nearly as tight as the Merc. Getting used to the iDrive but I still think there's too much confusing and unnecessary engineering in these new-age vehicles.

Dream Car for People Who Like to Drive!
By New BMW Fan on 11/25/07 18:16 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is one awesome car. Some of the other reviews say "fun to drive"; what an understatement! Even the 528 is fast, agile and responsive. The controls are in just the right place. This car fits like a glove. The seats are the best I have ever encountered in an automobile. I had read reviews stating the iDrive was too complicated prior to my purchase and was very concerned. Forget about it. The iDrive takes no appreciable time to get comfortable with and then you wonder why everyone doesn't use it. The sound and climate systems are terrific!

Absolutely Great
By Kamdog on 11/24/07 19:47 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Gobs of power. At 125 mph on the Autobahn, it was still strong and wanted to run. Power NOW at any speed from 10 mph on up. Smooth riding, quiet, comfort seats are great. I found iDrive very easy and better than a hundred buttons on the dash. I like the traffic information and think the navigation works very well. The headlights work great, corners light up great at night. The brakes are terrific too.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.