2008 BMW 5 Series 528i Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Bmw 5-series - Consumer Reviews

2008 5 Series Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Sort Reviews by

Blend of luxury and performance
By rndymn16

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

The 535i has enough power to make it a performance car. They don't give you a lot (compared to Cadallac and Infiniti, etc) and the options are borderline ripoff, but what they do give you - fantastic. The 20 way sport seats and iPod adapter are worth it!!!

Favorite Features

Optional 20 way seats. Engine.

Suggested Improvements

A few more memory (radio and phone) buttons and allow start engine button to not require fob in steering column (a $1000 option). It's awkward and most cars of this class already have it std.

2008 BMW 535xi
By magic frog

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I owned a 2007 BMW 530xi so I can tell you from experience that the new car is light years above the previous year in all areas. It out-performs it, it is built better, it handles better, and although most of the changes were subtle, they were in the right place, such as the window controls on the dirvers side. This vehicle is a veritable rocket for a 6 cylinder car this is amazing. I also own a late model Mercedes with a 382hp 8 cyl that can barely stay in the same room with the BMW performance wise.

Favorite Features

The same engine. New window controls, more powerful engine, tighter and stiffer body.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders stink, and the iDrive is a pain.

Almost Perfect
By Bagwhan

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

This is an unbelievable car. I test drove the 535 with the twin turbo, but it's no match for the smoothness and sheer grunt of the V8. I had a Mustang GT before this and this is faster, smoother and more fun. Mine is optioned to the max, with HD radio, Satellite radio, HUD, sport package, cold weather package, heated steering wheel, heated rear seats, Nav and so on. The 19 inch wheels look very cool! I also have the sport transmission, with paddle wheel shifters. So far, I have not used these that much. All in all a great car, that I highly recommend.

Favorite Features

IPOD integration is excellent, as is the HD radio, although it seems to echo sometimes. I'm not sure why. I love the bluetooth simplicity. The iDrive is not as awful as professional critics would have you believe.

Suggested Improvements

Gosh, it would be amazing to get this performance and be able to get 3 plus mpg!

BMW 550i Sport
By Peter B

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

Just traded my 2005 545i for the 2008 550i and it feels like a completely different car. Interior is more luxurious and the car handles much better than the 2005. Automatic transmission is much smoother. This is my fourth BMW and it is by far the best one I have owned.

Favorite Features

Sport package, power folding mirrors, voice activated controls.

Suggested Improvements

Replace ashtray with a coin holder, Logic 7 stereo system could be better, more interior color choices/color combinations.

Best all around
By wdt

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Had a 911, have 3 kids, needed something comfortable for the family. Looked at the 550i sport and thought I'd get too many tickets. The 535i sport is just a little more "real world", but still handles like a proper sport sedan. The xi models understeer more than I'd like, and the sport package on the i model is a true bmw sport package (suspension). The twin turbo motor gives you v8 torque and horsepower, I suspect that the ratings of 300 each is understated. Saving 10 grand over the 550 sport was worth it.

Favorite Features

IDrive(it's easy), base stereo is very good, sport seats, 6spd tranny w/ paddles. Car is very luxurious coming out of a 911. They should offer M suspension on the 535i. A thoroughly enjoyable car all the way around.

Suggested Improvements

M suspension option w/ 535i engine... 535i wagon w/ sport. I think x drive takes away from the cars handling.

Great Luxury Car
By fm

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

We had a 2006 325i which we traded for the 528i. The 3 series is a fun car to drive but the 5 series is truly a luxury automobile. The ride, comfort, workmanship & engineering is outstanding. My wife & I were somewhat apprehensive about the iDrive, but we both actually like it & it is not that difficult to use. This is our second BMW & would recommend the BMW brand to anyone looking for luxury.

Favorite Features

Ride, handling & the great looks of this automobile

Suggested Improvements

More storage & better gas mileage even though the gas mileage is better than most comparable autos.

BMW 550i
By TX Buzzard

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

After carefully considering the 535i, I drove this 550i. WOW! This vehicle is exactly what "The Ultimate Driving Machine" is all about. The mid-size with the large V8 motor, M/T and Sports Package make this vehicle simply a blast to drive. The best car I have ever owned!

Favorite Features

The M/T, Sports Package, the motor and the thrill it gives you to oower through the gears. One can get into a lot of trouble with this car if they are not careful!

Suggested Improvements

Maybe relocate the iPod connection to the glove box and redesign the center storage area.

Fantastic!
By 528 fan

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Great car. I purposely don't listen to the radio just to hear the sweet sound of the inline 6. Comfortable, fast, safe.

Favorite Features

engine, ipod adapter, interior, solid build quality

Suggested Improvements

cupholders

One Awesome Automobile
By Tom

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

First BMW I've owned and I'm hooked. Tested the Infiniti M35 and Acura RL and the 535i blows them away. The car is rock solid, fast, and handles like a sports car. The interior is comfortable and quiet and the ride is perfect. The twin turbo inline 6 is a phenominal engine. Very smooth and plenty of power when you want it while providing better than expected milage (I'm averaging 20-22 mpg city and 28- 30 mpg highway). Simply the best car I've ever owned. You just want to keep taking it out for a drive.

Favorite Features

The solid feel, the ride, handling, and the response when you step on the gas. Bluetooth, upgraded sound system and the Ipod interface. Heated seats don't just warm the seat cushion but also the backrest

Suggested Improvements

Okay, the cup holders could be a little better.

The Perfect Middle Aged Car?
By 1Cannuck

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Had the 08 535i for over a month. Took me an hour to configure the iDrive. Other than the climate module, it is actually real easy to use. The car is solid, quite luxurious and now actually looks great. I am driving this like a 50 yr old because I am babying this car and also the higher level of luxury and insulation from the raw elements. By comparison, I am Mr. Hyde behind my M Coupe. The couple of occassion when I had to make more energetic manoeuvre, the car was very stable and responsive. Mind you, I swapped out the OEM tire with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S which in my opinion, the best (Z rated tire with a 400 treadwear and can be driven all year round in Toronto).

Favorite Features

Steptronic, power/torque curve, seats, headlights, warranty, handling.

Suggested Improvements

Better OEM tires than the pathetic Goodyear, Dunlop, Bridgestone (lesser extent). Steering wheel texture (why leather in premium model only). Centre 2-layer 'Glove Box'. No anchors points for rubber matts (like old 330i). Get rid of Run Flats (for all BMWs).