Used 2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Engine
By bennett

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

We have had the car in the shop for the same reason 4 times. They have replaced 6 ejectors, fuel pump and a gas line. We got it out of the shop on a Thursday we went on a trip on Sunday and it backfired and made a loud noise and smoke filled the inside of the car. By the time we got it stopped and out, the car was burning. It burned up. We did all we could to get it repaired.

Favorite Features

The trunk has lots of room.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders will not hold all drink sizes. The navigation system is hard to enter destinations.

2008 BMW 528i
By drao

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased this car as a commuting vehicle. It is a joy to drive on a day to day basis, very quiet to exterior sounds, quick, refined and luxurious. Previously I was driving a 2007 Mercedes C230 in which I had some recurring issues -- not so with the 528i -- absolutely awesome car!! This was the perfect choice for me and my (small) family. We do some trips once in a while and this car is perfect for our needs. If I had a couple more kids then I'd have opted for a minivan or SUV for sure with the additional space.

Favorite Features

Comfort Seats, Auto folding exterior Mirrors, Sports driving mode

Suggested Improvements

Standard fold down rear seats.

Fun to Drive--but has many issues
By Marty B

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This has been a recurring problem with the '08 535i where the engine light comes on: ENGINE MALFUNCTION-reduce power. I took it once to Palm Springs BMW, but they did absolutely nothing. I took it to Pacific BMW where they replaced the fuel pump back in Nov 08. Early April I took it to Alexander for the same problem--ENGINE MALFUNCTION- reduce power. It turns out to be a leaking high pressure pump and broken injector. Both were replaced, and now it's in working order. All at no cost. How soon will it be before the ENGINE MALFUNCTION--reduce power light appears? I was promised that everything is in working condition. Yes, but how long? We have a 353i coupe with the same problem.

Favorite Features

Miles per gallon highway, powerful 300 horsepower pick up, nice stiff and sporty drive, sport mode transmission, and yet comfortable, XM satellite, comfortable seats, hot design--black on black looks hot.

Suggested Improvements

Mechanical problem with the injector and high pressure pump (ENGINE MALFUNCTION--reduce power) needs to be addressed, one day tranny was stuck on D and couldn't shift--they replaced a part in the transmission and it's been OK since.

Power Sedan
By stingers

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

I disagree with the prior reviewer. I too came out of an Audio A6 3.2 into a 550i sport, but think the BMW is a better car in every respect. I have had no problems with my car after almost 2 years of daily use, hard use. I drive this car hard and it delivers! The engine is something to be reckoned with, from 0 to over 100 there is power to spare, just punch it and hang on. The interior is solid as a rock... no squeaks or rattles almost 20k miles. Where the A6 is plastic this car is leather, a true luxury sports sedan. (my A6, my 2nd , was in the shop many times)

Favorite Features

Engine, sport suspension

Suggested Improvements

cup-holders :)

Reliability??
By Jeff

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Update on reliability issues on my 535xi. I contacted my dealer with my concerns and they arranged a face to face meeting with the dealer CEO, Service Manager and BMW North America. I was very pleased with the outcome of the meeting. I am glad to report that BMW is standing behind its product. I posted the note below on "Reliability???" and only feel it it right to give props to BMW and my dealer for handling my issues in a very professional and respectful manner.

Favorite Features

20 way comfort seats, ride , handling, performance. The company is standing behind their product and although it took a while for me to figure out how to get to the right people, I am confident in the actions being taken by BMW.

Suggested Improvements

I could not get to the right person at the dealer or BMW to help me for the longest time. The dealer and BMW needs a one stop number to call to get you to the right person. Too many times I had to explain my story to find out I was talking to someone who couldn't help me.