2008 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
An awesome car
By Frank on 02/06/08 12:24 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I was interested in AWD, coming from a Benz SUV, and looked at Audi, Acura, Infinity, Lexus, Mercedes, and Cadillac. The 535xi was simply the best car that I drove. It also was the most expensive of the group that I tested. In fact, like others have said, it is the best car that I have ever driven! The technology is not intrusive, it is helpful and with a little practice and reading the manuals, the navigation system and communication systems are your best friends. The fit and finish of the interior is impressive. The combination of pure driving capability, speed when needed, technology, and creature comforts in the cabin, made me covet the car.

BMW 535xi - Its a Keeper
By Steeler Fan on 02/01/08 18:33 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

After nearly a year and 12k miles, this car has proven to be even better than the initial write-ups. It is fast and fun to drive, gets around great in the snow and is wonderfully intuitive and responsive to the driver. This car is a keeper.

Great Car, but needs real sport package
By Anon3 on 01/29/08 12:31 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series 535xi 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I "downgraded" from a 2007 X5 4.8i to a fully loaded 2008 535xi wagon to get away from the SUV stigma of poor mpg and pollution. Very happy with this vehicle, except that the wagon's sport pkg does not include sport suspension or wheels. So this car has a little too much lean in corners and the steering is too light. Performance is excellent for a 6 cyl. and the drive train is extremely smooth, almost too smooth and Lexus-like. This 6 cyl wagon costs as much as a well equipped 8 cyl X5. The vehicle is top notch in nearly every aspect but I have to question what makes it worth almost $70k. Without the sport suspension, it doesn't have the BMW performance edge that justifies the price premium.

Hi-tech is great
By yeahim40 on 01/21/08 02:35 AM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

When I was shopping for a car, it was the technology that sold me on the 5-series. I was a little negative about iDrive, but I've found it to be easy to live with. I love how integrated everything is - my iPod and phone are a part of the car. The heads up display is excellent, especially with directions from the navigation system on the windshield. The night vision camera is just plain cool. It's an easy car to drive with confidence. I recommend driving a sport vs. non- sport package car before buying the sport because the ride is pretty firm.

What a dream!
By Chris, Wheeling WV on 01/16/08 09:44 AM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Just picked up my 08 535xi with Nav, Logic 7, SAT Radio, IPOD, Premium Pkg, PDC, Cold Weather & sport wheels. Handles great, fast as a rocket and the most comforable seats i've ever been in. IDRIVE is simple. Also the best headlight around. I dare you to drive it, you'll love this car. It screams luxury inside!

Simply Awesome!
By Greg on 01/15/08 19:43 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This is truly an amazing vehicle to drive. Excellent handling, super fast, acceleration is as smooth as silk, very little cabin noise. The iDrive takes no more than 1 hour to learn. Hands down the best sedan in its class. Bravo BMW!

2008 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan
By skippydrvr on 01/14/08 17:04 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This is the third BMW 5 series I've owned, and they've all been great cars. This is my favorite one, nudging out my 1995 540 6-spd. I got the sport package with automatic on this one to satisfy my wife. The twin turbo 6 cylinder is terrific, and the new 6-spd automatic works very well with quick decisive shifts. It's fast and gets very good mileage, averaging 23.5 mpg on my daily commute. The car handles like a sports car while being comfortable and rattle free. Despite car mag complains about the Bangle looks and the iDrive, I love them both. With the sport package and wheels, the car has a low aggressive look. Oh, and no problems in 8 months! This will be a long term keeper.

Blend of luxury and performance
By rndymn16 on 01/12/08 20:09 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

The 535i has enough power to make it a performance car. They don't give you a lot (compared to Cadallac and Infiniti, etc) and the options are borderline ripoff, but what they do give you - fantastic. The 20 way sport seats and iPod adapter are worth it!!!

2008 BMW 535xi
By magic frog on 01/05/08 19:58 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I owned a 2007 BMW 530xi so I can tell you from experience that the new car is light years above the previous year in all areas. It out-performs it, it is built better, it handles better, and although most of the changes were subtle, they were in the right place, such as the window controls on the dirvers side. This vehicle is a veritable rocket for a 6 cylinder car this is amazing. I also own a late model Mercedes with a 382hp 8 cyl that can barely stay in the same room with the BMW performance wise.

Almost Perfect
By Bagwhan on 01/05/08 19:56 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

This is an unbelievable car. I test drove the 535 with the twin turbo, but it's no match for the smoothness and sheer grunt of the V8. I had a Mustang GT before this and this is faster, smoother and more fun. Mine is optioned to the max, with HD radio, Satellite radio, HUD, sport package, cold weather package, heated steering wheel, heated rear seats, Nav and so on. The 19 inch wheels look very cool! I also have the sport transmission, with paddle wheel shifters. So far, I have not used these that much. All in all a great car, that I highly recommend.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.