2008 BMW 5 Series Wagon - Consumer Reviews

535xi 3.0L 6-cyl. Twin-turbo AWD 6-speed Manual - (10 reviews )
UBER WAGON
By AM on 04/25/10 19:51 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series Wagon 535xi 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Got rid of XC90 for this wagon. I-drive is simple, can set buttons on wheel for fast control. hands free is excellent, much better than my wife's '10 MDX. Comfort seats are unbelievable - makes the purchase. I am now a cornering demon and still get better mileage then my XC90 or the MDX even though they are driven more conservative. The car is also the quietest I've ever owned. My brake pads started squealing and I did not hear until I opened the windows. Plenty of room for 4 adults and a big dog. The cargo cover also has a pet partition built in. Ride quality is superb and unexpected for such a capable sport machine. Price if too high so buy used.

Wait a second - it's a wagon
By goodmaj on 04/09/10 20:28 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series Wagon 535xi 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

You won't believe you're driving a wagon. It drives just as well as the sedan. Sport seats are completely the way to go, very, very comfortable for long trips. Performance is great, next thing you know you're driving 80. Perhaps too many commands/too much functionality in iDrive, I would probably prefer a bit of a mix though in 2008 this got better - Audi MMI is probably better. But, that said, if you're familiar with computers, even at a basic level, you'll be just fine. Tight steering, decent suspension. Neat wagon-y features in the back too such as cubbys for groceries.

535XI Wagon w/Dinan Stage II
By njtriguy on 04/01/10 15:24 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series Wagon 535xi 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Stuck with the basics (sport Package, upgraded stereo, premium package), did not get run flats - and am VERY happy with the car. Have had no mechanical issues. Added Dinan Stage II upgrade and the car is scary fast while still getting 25+mpg on the highway. I love the exclusivity (under 900 2009's sold) and the ability to fly under the radar and behind large SUVs on the highway. Now that the 2011 wagon will not be brought into the US, I am glad to be "stuck" with this beautiful car for many more years.

Long time Mac user loves iDrive
By ebenson on 01/30/10 09:36 AM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series Wagon 535xi 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Not sure what all the gripping is about the 5-Series (circa 2008) iDrive. With NAV, very easy to use while driving. As easy as a Mac to learn and use! Some issues with comfort access misfires and turbo lag at lower speeds.

Simply a Pleasure
By NY, NY on 09/09/09 09:42 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series Wagon 535xi 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

The car is fantastic. Looked/test drove numerous luxury SUVs and crossovers - none compare. The car is incredible to drive never reminded you are driving a WAGON. Have all avail packages and most options aside from heads up display and performance tires. Comfort seats are unbeatable for long drives. Find the interior space is perfect. front and rear seats are very comfortable and incredibly supportive, and storage space is plentiful. Finally, have to say my wife and I found the iDrive to be far easier to master than expected having read the poor reviews. X-drive is great especially in snow in rain conditions. Have had some silly QC issues that should not take place in a car of this caliber,

Uber Wagon 18 Months Later
By Ian T on 09/03/09 05:26 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series Wagon 535xi 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

2nd Review. Everything I wrote in 6/08 same except for one recurring power delivery problem. The car has small power interruptions at intermittent intervals. Very annoying but not disabling. Only set a "code" once. 3 trips to dealer to fix plus 1 with a factory engineer in attendance. Never fixed. Destroyed driving experience. Finger pointing between BMW and Dinan. Removed Dinan software but problem remained. 6SM no longer notchy. No other problems but this one caused me to Lemon Law. BMW made a deal for new 2010 w/me instead. My 535i sedan 6sm to be delivered soon. Fingers crossed. The wagon is still beautiful inside and out. It is a piece of art but this aggravation isn't worth it.

Uber Wagon
By Ian T on 06/09/08 17:45 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series Wagon 535xi 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Nav, Cold Wx Pkg, Premium Pkg. I traded a 2005 Acura TL 6sp to get more space and still get a manual. So nice not to have squealing tires when damp. This car can put the power down in all wx with it's smooth clutch. No drama. Space for gear and people are great (my 6'4"son rides comfortably in back). IDrive is a pain but learnable. Lots of over-engineering. NOT intuitive on many levels. Seat memory where you can't see it. Door unlock button on dash (not on doors). Honda has sensibilities sewn up. Still, I got what I asked for. Best upgrade was Dinan chip reflash for 384hp and 421 torque and removes top speed limit. Good power before. Now, the Ultimate sleeper! MPG:20/25 driven carefully.

Great Car, but needs real sport package
By Anon3 on 01/29/08 12:31 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series Wagon 535xi 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I "downgraded" from a 2007 X5 4.8i to a fully loaded 2008 535xi wagon to get away from the SUV stigma of poor mpg and pollution. Very happy with this vehicle, except that the wagon's sport pkg does not include sport suspension or wheels. So this car has a little too much lean in corners and the steering is too light. Performance is excellent for a 6 cyl. and the drive train is extremely smooth, almost too smooth and Lexus-like. This 6 cyl wagon costs as much as a well equipped 8 cyl X5. The vehicle is top notch in nearly every aspect but I have to question what makes it worth almost $70k. Without the sport suspension, it doesn't have the BMW performance edge that justifies the price premium.

A wagon that's a sport's car
By jimg on 12/01/07 06:26 AM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series Wagon 535xi 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Previously owned a Mercedes E class wagon and this is a totally different experience. I do find myself still comparing the two vehicles. I think the Mercedes seats have more support and my biggest disappointment with the BMW is the turning circle which is not nearly as tight as the Merc. Getting used to the iDrive but I still think there's too much confusing and unnecessary engineering in these new-age vehicles.

Great... but
By Greg on 08/17/07 14:31 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series Wagon 535xi 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought the wagon after waiting till 08 model came out. All good things in it but the seats are not as comfortable as the, for example, old 525 of 2001 (I had one). Seems that seats are now smaller(?). Lines are beautiful, got it in Titanium silver and black interior. really nioce. Got the navigation system. I still have to decide whether I like it or not (it is a bit distracting). Should have a "beep" something to alert about animals, etc. Don't think I would order it again. The iDrive is OK, but quite frankly if it didn't have it, things would be easier. Do not like the run flat tires. MPG is disappointing (highway is a challenge to stay at 24 MPG).

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.