Used 2008 BMW 5 Series Wagon Consumer Reviews - 13 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 BMW 5 Series Wagon - Consumer Reviews

2008 BMW 5 Series Wagon

535xi 3.0L 6-cyl. Twin-turbo AWD 6-speed Manual - (13 reviews )

SAAAAAADDDD BMW owner
By Annie

2008 BMW 5 Series Wagon 535xi 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought this car used with a clean car fax in 2010 with less than 15000 miles. I bought an extended warranty just in case. I spent 8 month researching vehicles i would like to own and keep for 10 years. I have made a very poor decision. The maintenance cost on this vehicle will exceed its worth. It's been fun to drive, a very comfortable car with decent gas mileage. However, when I've taken it in for service, it's like sleeping with the devil. Goodbye emergency fund and hello credit card debt. It's the most disappointing feeling to love a car so much and be saddled with such repair bills. Fuel injectors replaced, water pump, thermostat, numerous hoses and vacuum hoses, and now replacing turbos and catalytic converters all before 90,000 miles. Not good resale either!!!

Fun to drive, but unreliable
By lindy62

2008 BMW 5 Series Wagon 535xi 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I have owned many German AWD cars, after the Audi S4, this is the most fun to drive. That being said, it is not the most fun to own. I have had numerous mechanical issues and even more electronic issues. I have heard a few complain about the battery. I have switched to an Optima battery, which is cheaper and lasts longer. I have heard that BMW knew about his battery draining issue before they release it, but decided to replace the batteries instead of fixing the issue. The VANOS system had a glitch out east, oiling system out west, sparkplug in the Midwest, and a constant brake issue. I am afraid to open the sunroof for fear that it will not close properly and I’ll have to take it apart and manually close it. The parking assist doesn’t work at all and when it had worked it was over sensitive. Our front windshield was replaced and I still can’t get the intermittent wipers to work properly. The transmission seems to be slipping and I am not willing to spend the money to replace it. If it was repaired at a BMW dealer, it would total the car. Nothing is cheap to replace on the car and local shop don’t have the tools or electronics to work on it, so I have to drive 6 hours to fix something and spend big money on labor and parts.
On the bright side, it gets good mileage for the performance. It rides well, but I feel it is too soft. The backend wiggles on slick roads when it hits a bump at speed and that can be a bit unnerving. There is a lot of room in the back with the seats folded down and have used it as a makeshift tent in bad weather (as long as the sunroof doesn’t leak). The interior has held up well and the body hasn’t rusted. Would not buy one again, because of the reliability issues.

CPO Purchase 'Paid off'.
By Mirquat

2008 BMW 5 Series Wagon 535xi 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Many visits to the dealership, all while under warranty. Repairs were done under both the original mfg warranty and the CPO warranty. Thankfully, since the warranty expired, there has been only one visit to the dealer in the past 2 yrs, approx 25K miles.
All struts were replaced at 75K, and well worth maintaining a new car ride. They weren't broken, just a bit worn. I find the combination of sport car performance and storage utility makes this car exceed any SUV on the road today. Unfortunately, import of the 5 series wagon ended, I believe, in 2010. Recently, I test drove the X5 as a replacement, but didn't find a discernible difference in ride, mpg, comfort or handling. Sooner or later........
Update at 100K miles. Experienced a trifecta of repairs with a month of each other. Water pump, starter and diversity antenna. Around 3 grand.

UBER WAGON
By AM

2008 BMW 5 Series Wagon 535xi 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Got rid of XC90 for this wagon. I-drive is simple, can set buttons on wheel for fast control. hands free is excellent, much better than my wife's '10 MDX. Comfort seats are unbelievable - makes the purchase. I am now a cornering demon and still get better mileage then my XC90 or the MDX even though they are driven more conservative. The car is also the quietest I've ever owned. My brake pads started squealing and I did not hear until I opened the windows. Plenty of room for 4 adults and a big dog. The cargo cover also has a pet partition built in. Ride quality is superb and unexpected for such a capable sport machine. Price if too high so buy used.

comfort seats, blue tooth, twin-turbo smile, cargo space, pet partition in trunk cover

navigation needs more features on point of interest and descriptions. Glass needs light tinting. Brake pads produce too much dust. Wheels need cleaning every few days. Build in rear seat recline like the X5. Reduce price to at least X5 level. Offer a diesel.

Wait a second - it's a wagon
By goodmaj

2008 BMW 5 Series Wagon 535xi 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

You won't believe you're driving a wagon. It drives just as well as the sedan. Sport seats are completely the way to go, very, very comfortable for long trips. Performance is great, next thing you know you're driving 80. Perhaps too many commands/too much functionality in iDrive, I would probably prefer a bit of a mix though in 2008 this got better - Audi MMI is probably better. But, that said, if you're familiar with computers, even at a basic level, you'll be just fine. Tight steering, decent suspension. Neat wagon-y features in the back too such as cubbys for groceries.

Engine. Road and steering feel. Car feels completely and perfectly balanced. Nice meaty steering wheel (sport package). Seats are incredible. Sunroof.

BMW already fixed it for 2009 - put buttons to quickly go to iDrive functions next to the wheel.