2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Issues and bad design for very basic features
By msimps on 03/30/12 09:34 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought a CPO 2008 528 xi a year and half ago and have had quite a few issues that I think I shouldn't have for a car that is 4 years old. The driver side sport seat stopped working correctly. A couple months ago my battery died. $460 to replace that. You cannot do it yourself. It needs to be paired with the electrical devices in the car. This week my AC went out. Turns out there was a leak in the AC system and while my car was getting repaired they discovered a leak in my transmission. The tires that don't go flat cannot be repaired. Be prepared to buy a new tire and hope they have one in stock or you are out of commission until they get one.

Glad I leased and didn't buy- be careful
By djl on 02/28/10 16:08 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This was my first BMW and likely my last. Was initially excited about the ride, performance, and interior (except cup holders) until it stranded me twice. One engine failure at 75 mph! Have been through 3 thermostats, computer reprogramming, and more. Had hoped to buy it initially after lease end, now I'm glad I leased so I can walk away.

Back to Mercedes
By cowboy693x on 08/12/09 13:03 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

We have had the car for a year. It has been in the shop for six weeks in total. The engine light comes on when the car gets hot. The main problem is we live in MT. BMW does not take care of there customers, I am trying to get a buy back. I have had three Mercedes in the past, they are not as fun to drive, but they are miles ahead in quality and customer service.

Just love it!
By Sufi on 08/31/08 03:52 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Finally took the plunge and bought 528xi with Premium Pack (comfort access, xenon, usb audio integration, etc.). I must say I absolutely love it. Also test drove the GS350 AWD, and it gave good competition to the 528xi but in the end, just the sheer driving pleasure swayed me towards the 528xi. Features for features, the GS350 had more toys, but it doesn't come close to the performance and the drive that 528xi offers. No lack of power. Just awesome!

Terrible transmission trouble
By Andrew on 08/26/08 13:33 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my 4th BMW and I love the car with one major exception. There is a programming glitch in the transmission software which BMW has not been able to correct. The car slams down into first gear quite violently when I accelerate from low speed (such as when turning a corner onto an uphill grade) or slowing for a light and then re-accelerating without coming to a complete stop. The car has been back to the dealer twice - they have been superb, spending lots of time to try to solve the problem - but BMW corporately has no solution at this time. They say they hope to have a software upgrade sometime in September, but make no real promise that this will correct the problem. We shall see.

A Driver's Car
By Driver on 08/24/08 06:30 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I now have 1500 miles and can say this was the best 1500 miles I've every driven. This is a driver's car not a typical American or Japanese built car. Don't complain about the cup holders, BMW doesn't expect you to drive the autobahn with anything but two hands on the wheel. Focus on the quality of the ride beyond the seat and gadgets, it is amazing. If you really want the power go for the 535 or to tour the country side with a 550. I find the 528 gives me what I need in power with a little economy unexpected, I'm averaging 22.4 mpg in the greater DC area.

Fun to Drive
By x021627 on 06/15/08 09:07 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've been driving my 528xi for a few months now and I still love getting in the car and taking a drive. It is truly amazing and so comfortable. While not as much of a "beast" as the 535, it is still quick on acceleration and has that luxury/comfort/sports combo so missing with other cars. iDrive isn't the best, but it is quick to learn and makes stuff easier. iPhone integration is seamless. I have premium, cold, navi, xenons and iPod adaptor. No complaints. BTW: this was my second BMW. 2003, e39 was the first.

BMW 528xi
By Steve on 11/23/07 21:04 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This car is great! A very comfortable ride. I have owned a 3 series, 740i, two X5s and now this. The comfort is great, performance is great and it has good gadgets. The iPod adapter and navigation system are fun and work very well.

Wow! BMW Does It Again
By Alexander on 07/26/07 20:35 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

What an outstanding value. This car provides the perfect combination of acceleration and handling you'd expect from BMW. Fuel economy is good and the manual transmission ties it all together. The comfort seats are just simply unbelieveable. After 1600 mls of both highway and city driving, its clear that the 528xi has more than enough power to deliver the performance I need. I passed on the twin turbos and don't regret it a bit. Frankly, the 528xi is just plain fun to drive! The hot buttons on the iDrive dramatically simplify the system. The navigation system has the best display I've seen. The HUD is awesome.

Great Choice
By back to BMW on 07/01/07 16:07 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

The 528xi handles like a champ and is fun to drive. It has plenty of pep, especially in the sport mode. The iDrive is pretty easy to use, the seats are great, and the car has a muscular but refined look. I left BMW for years when the 7 series repair bills rivaled the cost of my mortgage. The siren song of Lexus lured me for a bit, but life is too short to compromise.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.