Used 2008 BMW 5 Series 550i Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Trouble Free-Call it the Intimidator!
By jcollum68

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

First of all, got this car in 2011 with 30K miles, stickered new for $69,500. It has $75K on it and is 100% trouble free. I have the sport backage in Carbon Black with tinted windows. What can I say, this car is beautiful yet intimidating. Blazing fast with amazing handling. Steering and brakes are A plus and the engine noise is a symphony. Those who look at numbers say a 535i is almost the same-no its not. Get a V8, a rare commodity nowadays. Plenty of room in the interior, high quality materials. I have driven many luxury cars, love teh E60 550i more than any and much more than the new F10 5 series--too big and bland. I want my cars with style, love it or hate it. Buy this car!

Engine, accleration, handling, steering feel, 20 way seats, 19 inch wheels are gorgeous, quality leather and interior materials. Intimidating look-don't kid yourself, this car (the way mine is configured) is meant for a man. Logiic 7 stereo has nice sound, large trunk, I actually like idrive (not many seem to). This is really a 4 door sports car. Don't let the 4 doors fool you, this is a serious machine and if you are off public roads and can see it capabilities it will blow your socks off.

Almost no console storage space or interior storage space, crappy cupholders. I know what I was getting buying a V8, but...I get 19.5 miles per gallon with about 80% highway driving. Fuel tank is way to small, this things has no range (get used to stopping for gas). Give me a bigger tank, better gas mileage (or both). The tradeoff for amazing handling is a (lets say) "controlled" ride. You will know the street surface-wouldn't mind a bit less firm ride. Be prepared for expensive maintenance costs. I had an E90 3 series, this car is in another world with routine maintenance costs. Why does an basis air filter cost $26 at the auto parts store when a Ford is $13? It is the same thing?

Too Many Problems
By kblack1

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

Just to start, this is not my first car or my second. I understand there are no guarantees in life and cars are finnicky. Sometimes you just get a bad apple. But for the $$$ a 550i costs those apples should be fixed properly and the owner satisfied. I have owned quite a few vehicles in my now 17 years of driving. 2 of which were a 2003 325xi and a 2006 330i sport. Both of which had no problems. I purchased the 550i in 2010 with 33k miles. It was a CPO, which gave me comfort purchasing a used car. Not any more!!! I seriously doubt this car was properly inspected. Which is what I told BMW, and they passed the buck to the dealer who basically told me F off. Consistent problems!

I have had the vehicle for a year and a half now. It spent 3 of the first 4 months I owned it in the dealer trying to fix the Idrive/Nav/climate system, and in total 5 of the first 16 months. climate control would go on , on its own. The Nav screen would blank out while driving. The radio wouldnt turn on. Other than that here is a list of other repairs: power steering pump, battery, wiper motor, climate vents wouldnt open, CD stuck in radio, transmission needed recalibration, water pump, brake issues, and the Idrive system still takes way too long to load at start. All that being said the performance and handling of the car are great. It is also a gorgeous vehicle with the M sport pac

I think maybe BMW should stick to what they do best and make good performance vehicles, and leave out all the bells and whistles until they are sure they work properly. I understand people want those options and they want to compete, but the negativity that what I have gone through brings is I'm not sure I would ever purchase another BMW, which is sad because they make cars that perform well and look good. I know I am one person and they sell millions of cars, but I doubt I am the only one with these issues. And as I said earlier this is my 3rd BMW and I planned on buying them for the rest of my life until this happened.

Poor reliability and dealer experience
By hooch999

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

I guess my expectations were set too high - dealer sold me this CPO car with a bent wheel, no floor mats and various missing bolts and accessories (as discovered later). Overall car handles quite well, but does not shine in any area: braking is good, but touchy and not progressive acceleration is good but vibrations coming form V8 are way too much for a luxury car, plus there's not much torque below 2000 rpm. Leather on seats wears off way too quick, sport seats are not super comfortable, front leg room is surprisingly small In less than 1 year I had to visit dealer for repairs 6 times! And car still has issues with leaking wiper system, shuddering on idle and jerky transmission.

Exterior look with M-sport package

Better reliability overall, better ergonomics, better quality leather in seats. BMW needs a huge effort to be on par with Japanese cars i terms of reliability, service and electronics.

A Great Car-Almost
By gruderian

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

Great all around highway cruiser. Curves do not exist at practically any speed. Brakes are first class in every respect. Gas mileage averages around 12.5, all city driving; 15.5 combined; and 22.7 highway at any speed below 100 mph ( I know what you are thinking but that is how it works out ). Easy to live with and drive under any conditions. Front seats are very comfortable on long drives. Rough ride over road imperfestions. Extremely large and useful trunk. Not a single problem of any kind for the three years I had it. Some repetetive adjustments on the I drive are ridiculous. Heater will not warm your feet no matter how you adjust it. Throttle control is managed by computer.

Driving performance from outstanding engine and transmission. Cornering and breaking. Front seat comfort. Large and useful trunk. Total realibility for three years. Beautiful sound from stero system. Rear tail light disign, especially at night. Service I received after purchase from Beverly Hills BMW. Seat heaters are beyond great on cold days. Close proximity warning system worked flawlessly. High speed ride ( From 80 mph to 140 ) is about as good as you could ask for in a car you can drive with reasonable comfort around the city. Excellent tires (Continentals) under all conditions. Low road noise at high speed. Tire to road connection transmitted through steering wheel.

Improve ride over rough road surfaces, particularly at low speeds. Change heater design so it will actually warm feet and so the temperature does not have to be set at the thermostats and at the I drive. Increase the gas mileage. Get rid of those soft metal wheels that distort so very easily. Coordinate the gas pedal input and the computer response so the time lapse between them is not felt as a decision making process. Put a multple disc player in. You need something useful like an oil temperature guage in place of that silly gas mileage indicator in the dash board. Design a more modern looking instrument cluster with the speedometer in the center and the techometer inside it.

Rocket Ship Performance, Stellar Comfort
By Mo

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

Just bought this car to replace my 2003 BMW 745Li. Got it with a short shift manual transmission, sport package and aero kit. The car is stellar in performance and handling - a breath of fresh air from my trusty 745. This is my eleventh BMW and is just as reliable if not better than the others. Brings back memories of my 1990 535i 5 speed. The comfort seats are very supportive and provide enough bolstering to encourage spirited driving

Sport package, 6 speed short shift transmission, throaty exhaust sound, comfort..

larger gas tank please - 18.5 gallons seems small, would prefer 20-22 gallons.