Used 2008 BMW 5 Series 535xi Sedan Consumer Reviews - 44 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Not nearly enough bang for your buck
By Anthony

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Considering the steep price, this vehicle is mostly a disappointment. At 39k miles, the water pump went. Shortly afterward, three injectors failed. At 62k miles, the lower bushings needed replacing. While the vehicle is fun to drive, much of my experience has been quite pedestrian. Needless to say, my next vehicles will be a Mercedes and an Audi, as my wife will be getting a new vehicle next year as well. The Ultimate Driving Machine needs to be examined more closely, in terms of reliability.

Discouraged love for my BMW
By Roro Alphonse

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I had my 08 535xi for 2 years as 2nd owner at 67K. I enjoy that ultimate driving machine for about only 5 months then trouble happened. I took it to a BMW dealer they gave an estimate for $10,135 to have everything fix. Twins turbo, fuel injection, O2 sensors then water pump and thermostat etc. I thought that car will give a brake now my radio doesn't work, monitor display turn only when it feels like. I have an inspection reject that cannot resolve due of O2 sensors and others things still not ready after about 600 miles driving, no check engine light on but can't pass inspection. Now, they told me I have to change T.C. Unit which is also controls the radio. This car is just problem!

I love everything in the car. It has a very nice interior, the head display, audio sound, the chairs are wonderful.

Need a lot of improvements on computer electronics system command on those cars. Some other much cheaper cars like Hunday is doing a much better job for the money compare to those expensive car maintenance than BMW lately.

My BMW 535XI Nightmare
By beinspired65

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I purchsed my 08 BMW XI used 60k miles on it, for the first 6 mos it was all good, while driving out of town the veh completely shut down (water pump), and since this happened there has been one repair after the other, I've always wanted a BMW, after repeated breakdowns and countless repairs, uless the veh is leased, do not waste your money you will end up spending more than anticipated. I've often heard you can drive a BMW for 100k miles with no issues....absolutely not true, and the worse part is you do not know there is a problem until the incator shows up on the dash or the vehicle shuts completely down. VERY FRUSTRATING EXPERIENCE!!!!!!

handling is superb.

EVERYTHING

Fun to drive
By david_welch

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I was looking for an AWD sport sedan with a 6 speed manual transmission.
The BMW 535xi is the only option in the luxury market.

The car is outstanding.
It handles extremely well at high speeds and tight corners.
The brakes are fantastic and can stop reliably.

I wanted a 6 speed manual and the transmission is superb. Shifting is smooth but can be done quickly if accelerating -- merging on the highway is no trouble at all.

The AWD is great and I just took the car out for its first test in a New England blizzard.
The plow trucks were all out and I only saw a few Audis and Subarus on the road.
The BMW climbed icy hills with no trouble at all.
Did some donuts too - good times.

Twin turbo engine, 6 speed manual transmission, large trunk, room for 5 adults. All wheel drive is great.

Better cup holders and easier to use climate control. The iDrive system is a pain, but the climate control cryptography is simply ridiculous. I shouldn't have to pull over the car just to change the heat/AC settings.

Overcomplicated & Unreliable
By samarthvader

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

My 2008 535xi has 50,000 miles on it. There always seems to be something going wrong with it every few months.
It has been one of the most unreliable cars I've ever owned, but when it is working it is a blast to drive. Even the simplest repairs are ridiculously expensive, and you are often forced to going to the dealer as most independent shops cannot work with the BMW computer system.

I don't know what they were thinking when they designed idrive. It takes an engineering degree to change radio stations through idrive. I guess over engineering is the BMW way.

This will probably be my 1st and last BMW...

Great combination of performance and efficiency.

Reliability.