2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Fun to drive
By david_welch on 01/05/14 10:44 AM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I was looking for an AWD sport sedan with a 6 speed manual transmission. The BMW 535xi is the only option in the luxury market. The car is outstanding. It handles extremely well at high speeds and tight corners. The brakes are fantastic and can stop reliably. I wanted a 6 speed manual and the transmission is superb. Shifting is smooth but can be done quickly if accelerating -- merging on the highway is no trouble at all. The AWD is great and I just took the car out for its first test in a New England blizzard. The plow trucks were all out and I only saw a few Audis and Subarus on the road. The BMW climbed icy hills with no trouble at all. Did some donuts too - good times.

Overcomplicated & Unreliable
By samarthvader on 12/08/13 19:55 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

My 2008 535xi has 50,000 miles on it. There always seems to be something going wrong with it every few months. It has been one of the most unreliable cars I've ever owned, but when it is working it is a blast to drive. Even the simplest repairs are ridiculously expensive, and you are often forced to going to the dealer as most independent shops cannot work with the BMW computer system. I don't know what they were thinking when they designed idrive. It takes an engineering degree to change radio stations through idrive. I guess over engineering is the BMW way. This will probably be my 1st and last BMW...

Loved it
By alxislife on 11/05/12 18:27 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought the car with 40k miles and sold it with 75k miles. The car didn't give me any problems whatsoever and ran perfectly. The only maintenance required was tires, brakes and rotors. No problems with the fuel pump at all. Loved the exterior design and the interior as well. To me the car was the perfect size not to big and not to small. Would definitely recommend! I miss the car but got a great deal on an Infiniti and I needed a change.

Great Car!
By sanjay8 on 01/10/11 18:19 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought this car used about 1 year ago with 35000 miles and I have put on another 10,000 miles in the past year. The drive is amazing. It has had no problems as yet. After reading the reviews I am not sure if should keep this car past its warranty, which is up in 6 months. Sounds like the twin turbo is a problem. There is a recall in Canada to correct the high pressure fuel pump.

Great When Not in for Service
By Ed on 11/14/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Comfortable, fun to drive and looks great. It's loaded with the Premium, Cold Weather and Sports package. I really do enjoy driving this to work and longer distances. My only complaint is how many times the car has been in the shop. Although I enjoy the car, this will most likely be my last BMW purchase. I can't justify all the service visits even though I'm not paying a dime. My previous car, which was a Nissan, was much better in this area.

Awesome when it runs
By Tom on 08/29/10 17:54 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Great car to drive when it runs. Can has been in the shop 8 times in 6 months. Fuel injector, fuel pump, electrical problem, don't trust the car anymore. Go figure buy a dream car and it is junk.

Great Off Lease Purchase
By hman on 08/23/10 15:54 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Shopped for 2 months on numerous online sites and through local dealers to find exactly the configuration and price I was looking for. This car was $61,500 new 3 years ago, and I purchased for $36,000 with 35K on the odometer, about the same as I paid for my last car - which was a new Avalon Limited. The Avalon was pretty high tech and comfortable, but this car is an incredibly better value for many reasons. It is about as fun to drive as any car under $100,000 could be. The integrated IPod connection through the I-Drive combined with the Logic 7 sound system (highly recommended!) is superb. Premium (only) gas mileage has been about 17.5 in town and 26.5 highway.

Great Sports Car
By Loving it! on 06/20/10 22:08 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

My first BMW. I drove all the competitors and settled on the 535xi because of its performance. It is a blast to drive I've had it now for three years and still enjoy getting into it every day. I live in the Rockies and it is unbelievable on mountain roads. Excellent in the snow with AWD. My only negatives are, the seats are not real comfortable on longer drives and the cup holders are a joke.

Fuel System Problems
By Tom on 04/04/10 10:52 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Great car, amazing when running well. My 535 is having a lot of problems with the car running very rough and has had several engine malfunctions. The dealership has put in a new module, high pressure pump (HPP), and several new injectors. Problem is routine to N54 engine. BMW acknowledges the problem is a design fault. Check out and have good warranty if purchasing. Love the car when it works.

Great power, Poor ergonomics
By danimal on 03/10/10 17:43 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Have had this car for 2+ years and my lease is up in May, 2010. I was thinking about doing a buy-out but I just can't get past the interior ergonomics. There is zero storage space to put anything. The cup holders are cheap and pop out from the dash. There is nowhere to put sunglasses, maps, coins, receipts, over-sized bottles, etc. There is also no rear seat leg room. The car itself is undeniably the best performance vehicle in its class. The twin turbo is an absolute joy to drive with unmatched power. I will miss it but, again, I can't deal with the interior anymore. BTW, the I-Drive system is easy to figure out but it's slow as molasses.

1 2 3 4 5 next »

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan in NJ is:

$261 per month*