2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Fun to drive, poor reliability & expensive to fix
By mqc99 on 02/08/14 21:32 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This was my 1st and last BMW. Bought the car new, in the 6 years and 34K miles I've owned the car, I had a faulty battery, bad fuel pump, dead oxygen sensor, and a failed water pump. I was stranded 3 times (car completely died) and almost stranded twice. So, multiple trips to the shops and over 2 grand of repair bills later, I have finally gave up on this "ultimate driving machine". It was a fun car to drive while it worked. But, for a $60K car, I'd expect BMW to deliver something better. The worst part is that I totally lost my confidence in it and can no longer feel comfortable taking this car on any extended trips. This will be the LAST BMW I ever spend my money on.

Bullet proof reliability in my 535i Sport Package
By jackspotnspike on 08/31/13 15:18 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought mine used with 40000 miles and with 65000 miles now. I am very happy with the performance and reliability. Nothing has gone wrong with it. I recently put brakes on at an independent BMW shop for $1200, complete. When I punch the accelerator the car is a rocket. It looks great (deep sea blue with natural brown leather seats and tints windows). The seven spoke alloys with the sport package are perfect.

Major Disappointment
By 535nomore on 07/24/13 09:21 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This was my first BMW and I was really excited about buying it. It worked fine for about 6 months and then the trouble started. First it was the "reduced engine power" message related to the turbo system. The result of multiple trips to the dealer consisted of: engine reprogramming, replacing the high pressure fuel pump, replacing injectors, replacing a fuel pressure sensor, and reconnecting a vacuum hose that the mechanic "forgot" to connect. The car has had three water pumps installed. I've also had the battery replaced two years after I bought the car (new), the auxiliary jack replaced (it only played through one channel when I got the car. And a couple of other minor items.

Buy It!
By pcman on 10/14/12 14:55 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I've driven this car daily for 3 years and i still look for excuses to go drive it some more. Simply a blast. After testing all the other makes and models of Audi, Acura, Infinity, etc I still say this there's no comparison to how much better this car drives. The fuel pump issue people discuss is silly. BMW continues to cover this even out of warranty. My dealer replaced mine without me mentioning it when I was in for an oil change. I've had zero trouble with this car (knock on wood) and I drive it really hard.

Fun car
By turnlund on 08/22/12 17:30 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

We have 140K miles on this car; only recurring issue has been the high pressure fuel pump. BMW replaced it twice, no charge and no questions. Very impressive car, we have at least 60K miles left in it.

CPO Bmw 535i 2008
By bilalch on 09/08/11 20:39 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I have had this car for about 1 year now. I bought this as a CPO it had about 30,000 miles on it. Considering all the comparative models (Audi, Merc)I found this to be the most fun car to drive. I also liked the interior better then others (yes even better then 08 A6) I think it is more of personal preference, the interior is clean, high quality and purposeful. Built quality is great, offcourse drives awesome. Not much to complain about this car. Prob would buy a 5 series after this one (although am not so sure of the new model, the Bmw seems to have gotten soft on their design and the new 2011 one is more like a Merc, cant say much about drive though as have not driven it)

Great When Everything Works - Over Designed
By timbo52 on 07/22/11 11:24 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Exhilerating and fun when everything works! Love to drive my 2008 535i with Sport package- when it is not in the shop. Lots of power and totally responsive. Many problems which has been worked on under the factory warranty.1) entire head lamp module (less than 1 wk after delivery), 2)fuel pump, 3)fuel injectors, 4)car suddenly went into limp (lower power) mode when entering hwy- no solution yet from BMW(fortunately I was not in heavy traffic), 5)new gear shift handle, 6) iDrive goes crazy-dead black screen. Hopefully, nothing else shows up. I love the way the car handles but the trips to the service department has become too aggravating! Selling before warranty ends!Bitter/sweet experience.

One fine auto.
By jpcoregon on 02/23/11 18:36 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought the 2008 535i certified, including the maint. program to 100K miles 10/08. Outside of the horrendous experience with the lack of honesty and integrity of the BMW dealer, the car is superb. Too bad the certified program still makes one visit a BMW dealership. The car's comfort, ability to handle as well as it's outright performance is just plain fun. I quickly dumped the run-flats on this Sport model and bought high end Michelin UHP tires. The difference is a better ride and performance all the way around. Huge lack of space for change, eyeglasses and little things. Cupholders are poor, but one forgets as this thing gets up and runs.

BIG Disappointment
By mbarrio1 on 11/11/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Just got the 535 back after the recall- -engine malfunction--and got stuck on the side of the freeway. This is the third time, and it's the second replacement of the high pressured fuel pump. So it's the third fuel pump on this 5 series. I love the drive, but am concerned about the reliability factor since I've been stuck on the side of the road three times--NOT FUN! If I get another BMW, maybe one without the turbo, since that seems to be the cause of the engine malfunction.

Too many problems
By S on 10/17/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Fun car to drive, great performance, good fuel economy-but- way too many major mechanical problems. In three years there have been a major oil leak- had to carry a quart of oil with me to get it to the nearest dealer-battery failure, compressor failure and most recently high pressure fuel pump failure 400 miles from home. On several occasions BMW has been less than cooperative in addressing the warranty repair.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.