Used 2008 BMW 5 Series 535i Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

poor reliability & expensive to fix
By Mike

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Great car when it is work. 77 kmiles, second owner bought at 50 k. so far I replaced, water pump, turbo,shift assembly,, battery , one bearing , low pressure fuel pump. If you have the money for this buy it if not...no. The only way I will buy an other BMW will be only if has CPO warranty ...

Fun to drive, poor reliability & expensive to fix
By mqc99

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This was my 1st and last BMW. Bought the car new, in the 6 years and 34K miles I've owned the car, I had a faulty battery, bad fuel pump, dead oxygen sensor, and a failed water pump. I was stranded 3 times (car completely died) and almost stranded twice. So, multiple trips to the shops and over 2 grand of repair bills later, I have finally gave up on this "ultimate driving machine". It was a fun car to drive while it worked. But, for a $60K car, I'd expect BMW to deliver something better. The worst part is that I totally lost my confidence in it and can no longer feel comfortable taking this car on any extended trips. This will be the LAST BMW I ever spend my money on.

Nice handling. It drives very well when things are working.

Improve product quality and reliability. Quality is not just about handling, it is also about driver confidence. When you can't build customer trust in your product, you loose the customer. Learn from how Acura and Lexus on how they have built customer loyalty. If you don't improve your product quality, you will loose to your competitions. Take a page from the lessons learned by the American auto makers in the 80's and 90's. They took some hard hits before they wised up and got their act together. Today, they have much better products. BMW, if you don't take care of your product quality, you will face the same hardship GM, Ford and Chrysler did 20 years ago.

Bullet proof reliability in my 535i Sport Package
By jackspotnspike

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought mine used with 40000 miles and with 65000 miles now. I am very happy with the performance and reliability. Nothing has gone wrong with it. I recently put brakes on at an independent BMW shop for $1200, complete. When I punch the accelerator the car is a rocket. It looks great (deep sea blue with natural brown leather seats and tints windows). The seven spoke alloys with the sport package are perfect.

High performance engine, decent fuel economy, no reliability issues.

Major Disappointment
By 535nomore

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This was my first BMW and I was really excited about buying it. It worked fine for about 6 months and then the trouble started. First it was the "reduced engine power" message related to the turbo system. The result of multiple trips to the dealer consisted of: engine reprogramming, replacing the high pressure fuel pump, replacing injectors, replacing a fuel pressure sensor, and reconnecting a vacuum hose that the mechanic "forgot" to connect. The car has had three water pumps installed. I've also had the battery replaced two years after I bought the car (new), the auxiliary jack replaced (it only played through one channel when I got the car. And a couple of other minor items.

It's comfortable. It's also quick and fast, when it runs properly.

BMW solved the problem by discontinuing the engine that can in the 2008 model and a couple of years before and after. Anyone considering this car, do yourself a favor and pass on it. The turbo/engine problem is fairly common. You can read about it on BMW owner's forums and boards.

Buy It!
By pcman

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I've driven this car daily for 3 years and i still look for excuses to go drive it some more. Simply a blast. After testing all the other makes and models of Audi, Acura, Infinity, etc I still say this there's no comparison to how much better this car drives. The fuel pump issue people discuss is silly. BMW continues to cover this even out of warranty. My dealer replaced mine without me mentioning it when I was in for an oil change. I've had zero trouble with this car (knock on wood) and I drive it really hard.

powerful engine, comfortable seats, Logic 7 Audio

IDrive system is relatively cumbersome to use.