Used 2008 BMW 5 Series 528xi Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Bmw 5-series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Issues and bad design for very basic features
By msimps

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought a CPO 2008 528 xi a year and half ago and have had quite a few issues that I think I shouldn't have for a car that is 4 years old. The driver side sport seat stopped working correctly. A couple months ago my battery died. $460 to replace that. You cannot do it yourself. It needs to be paired with the electrical devices in the car. This week my AC went out. Turns out there was a leak in the AC system and while my car was getting repaired they discovered a leak in my transmission. The tires that don't go flat cannot be repaired. Be prepared to buy a new tire and hope they have one in stock or you are out of commission until they get one.

Favorite Features

The car is very fun to drive and corners amazingly. The acceleration is great and the brakes are really good. I feel very safe driving this car. It's extremely responsive. It is also a very nice looking car. Everyone comments on what a gorgeous car it is.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability is a huge issue. A car this new that costs this much should not have these kinds of problems. The car has been over-engineered. Towing this car because of a dead battery required a special tow hook that needs to be screwed into the front bumper and you also need to locate a special tool that is kept in the trunk to use to disengage the transmission. This car allows notifies you when it needs service by a small message that is displayed briefly. Of course nothing needs service at the same time. The AC/heat controls are separate for the driver and passenger. There is no way to adjust both at the same time to be the same temp. iDrive is very confusing to very simple tasks.

Glad I leased and didn't buy- be careful
By djl

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This was my first BMW and likely my last. Was initially excited about the ride, performance, and interior (except cup holders) until it stranded me twice. One engine failure at 75 mph! Have been through 3 thermostats, computer reprogramming, and more. Had hoped to buy it initially after lease end, now I'm glad I leased so I can walk away.

Favorite Features

Ride, exterior, comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Make a reliable vehicle, especially at the high price. Cup holders were meant for a Kia.

Back to Mercedes
By cowboy693x

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

We have had the car for a year. It has been in the shop for six weeks in total. The engine light comes on when the car gets hot. The main problem is we live in MT. BMW does not take care of there customers, I am trying to get a buy back. I have had three Mercedes in the past, they are not as fun to drive, but they are miles ahead in quality and customer service.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

build quality, fit and finish, customer relations

Just love it!
By Sufi

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Finally took the plunge and bought 528xi with Premium Pack (comfort access, xenon, usb audio integration, etc.). I must say I absolutely love it. Also test drove the GS350 AWD, and it gave good competition to the 528xi but in the end, just the sheer driving pleasure swayed me towards the 528xi. Features for features, the GS350 had more toys, but it doesn't come close to the performance and the drive that 528xi offers. No lack of power. Just awesome!

Favorite Features

The drive, handling, quietness, usb audio integration

Suggested Improvements

Offer comfort seats, active steering in this model!

Terrible transmission trouble
By Andrew

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my 4th BMW and I love the car with one major exception. There is a programming glitch in the transmission software which BMW has not been able to correct. The car slams down into first gear quite violently when I accelerate from low speed (such as when turning a corner onto an uphill grade) or slowing for a light and then re-accelerating without coming to a complete stop. The car has been back to the dealer twice - they have been superb, spending lots of time to try to solve the problem - but BMW corporately has no solution at this time. They say they hope to have a software upgrade sometime in September, but make no real promise that this will correct the problem. We shall see.

Favorite Features

The heated seats/backrests are superb, the iPod connection, and after some fiddling with it, I like the iDrive.

Suggested Improvements

Resolve the transmission software issue.