Used 2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews - 178 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

The Dream Wedding of Vehicles...
By Blondeinabmw

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Every time you take this car in for service, it costs $1,000...except for when it costs far more than $1,000.
Bought my gorgeous 535i (with the sport package and premium sound) as a special order, and it arrived with 3 miles on the odometer. Since I bought it, I have been plagued with problems. Admittedly, the first 4+ years were pretty much covered under free maintenance with the warranty, but since it went off the maintenance agreement, it has more than made up for the savings.
My car is 8 years old and has 107K miles. During the time I've owned it, it has required:
- Three complete sets of tires plus two sets of rear tires (roughly every 20-30K miles)
- A valve replaced in the engine (towed)
- All six fuel injectors (limped in to the shop)
- Walnut blasting of the intakes
- A water pump (towed)
- Computer software reinstalled (twice, took more than a week each time at the dealership for the reinstall to "stick") (towed)
- Three fuel pumps (towed)
- And now, the CCC is bad. This is a fancy acronym for the iDrive computer system that includes navigation, radio, bluetooth and all the car's controls. It also needs the hydraulics in the hood replaced, the xenon headlight has a malfunction (which requires the entire headlight assembly to be removed from the body of the car to change a LIGHTBULB, and if god forbid the ballast is bad, the bumper must be removed as well). For a change, it is actually driving fairly well, but this repair is gonna cost more than all the others yet!
I've not added it up, but I think this car has cost me at least $1,800 a year in maintenance costs since it went off warranty in 2012, sometimes more.
I will say that the cupholders in this car are the stupidest thing ever designed. It also does not hold car seats very well - infant carriers have to go in the middle back seat or the passenger seat will have to be on the dash, and convertible front-facing seats don't leave a ton of room either.
It drives beautifully. Handles like a dream. Is so comfortable. Feels like a beast when you want it to. Rides gracefully. Looks pretty. Has an amazing sound system. Gets pretty good gas mileage all things considered. SUCKS THE LIFE OUT OF ME.

I might have gotten a lemon, but a money pit
By DHecker

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

The most telling example of the problems I've had with this car is the following. The BMW has warning signals for many different things, including that the outside temperature is now 37°. However, it does not have a warning signal to say that for whatever reason a seal in the transmission has blown and all of the fluid is leaking out. Leading to the need for a new transmission. I have had innumerable problems with the engine, electronics, lights, you name it. There is now once again an engine warning light on. I bought the car in 2011 with only 25,000 miles on it. If I have not spent $15,000 in repairs since then, I would be shocked. Don't waste your money.

On the positive side, when it is working and especially on the highway it is a lot of fun to drive. It gets mediocre mileage around town (it is quite heavy). But it gets somewheres around 33 miles per gallon on the highway.

Enjoyable drive
By Don

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Check on maintenance costs before buying. A battery replacement cost me about $300. The covered maintenance program is great. Road noise is quiet. It's a great machine to drive. The electric seats are very comfortable once you figure out all the controls...

My 2008 535i
By B.K.

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I got a great deal buying a used 535i for $9000 cash. The car is great in terms of performance. Turn off traction control in the rain and the machine is a blast to have all sorts of fun with! However, things seem to go wrong electrically. My adaptive headlights, rear brake light bulb and reverse light bulb all went out in the same week. Also the fuel pump was leaking when I bought it but I was aware of this. I live in the Philadelphia area so there is a repair shop that specializes in German cars. They were able to get me a reasonable price for the repairs. However, if I had to take this to a BMW dealer, I would've gone insane with the prices.

Great Performance Sport Sedan
By Tomas Olivo

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

This car performs amazingly well given the facts that is a heavy midsize sedan. The look is great! Definitely a head turner with the Sport package. If you are looking for gas mileage stay away from the V8 but if you are mostly looking for performance and power, this is definitely the car for you. I have owned different cars, but this car is very special. You feel in control and you feel like you own the road when you are driving it. It is definitely a joy. I have owned the car for about 2 years now and I bought it with 73,000 miles. Currently at 104,000 miles and no major problems so far. The only major issues was resolved under warranty after a few days I bought the car at the BMW dealer it had an oil leak and a rattle in the engine but they fixed it. Also the car's transmission would malfunction sometimes but they reprogrammed the computer and the problem was gone. Other little things that I have done myself are the angel lights that went out, fog lights, brakes, etc. Something that does bother me is the transmission at low speed, it is a bit jerky especially when you drive it first time during the day. I've been thinking about upgrading to the F10 version but reading about all the mechanical issues they have, I think I'm sticking with this one for now since it has been such a great car so far.