2008 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Trouble Free-Call it the Intimidator!
By jcollum68 on 09/28/12 10:38 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

First of all, got this car in 2011 with 30K miles, stickered new for $69,500. It has $75K on it and is 100% trouble free. I have the sport backage in Carbon Black with tinted windows. What can I say, this car is beautiful yet intimidating. Blazing fast with amazing handling. Steering and brakes are A plus and the engine noise is a symphony. Those who look at numbers say a 535i is almost the same-no its not. Get a V8, a rare commodity nowadays. Plenty of room in the interior, high quality materials. I have driven many luxury cars, love teh E60 550i more than any and much more than the new F10 5 series--too big and bland. I want my cars with style, love it or hate it. Buy this car!

Too Many Problems
By kblack1 on 01/12/12 10:10 AM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

Just to start, this is not my first car or my second. I understand there are no guarantees in life and cars are finnicky. Sometimes you just get a bad apple. But for the $$$ a 550i costs those apples should be fixed properly and the owner satisfied. I have owned quite a few vehicles in my now 17 years of driving. 2 of which were a 2003 325xi and a 2006 330i sport. Both of which had no problems. I purchased the 550i in 2010 with 33k miles. It was a CPO, which gave me comfort purchasing a used car. Not any more!!! I seriously doubt this car was properly inspected. Which is what I told BMW, and they passed the buck to the dealer who basically told me F off. Consistent problems!

Poor reliability and dealer experience
By hooch999 on 07/11/11 14:53 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

I guess my expectations were set too high - dealer sold me this CPO car with a bent wheel, no floor mats and various missing bolts and accessories (as discovered later). Overall car handles quite well, but does not shine in any area: braking is good, but touchy and not progressive acceleration is good but vibrations coming form V8 are way too much for a luxury car, plus there's not much torque below 2000 rpm. Leather on seats wears off way too quick, sport seats are not super comfortable, front leg room is surprisingly small In less than 1 year I had to visit dealer for repairs 6 times! And car still has issues with leaking wiper system, shuddering on idle and jerky transmission.

A Great Car-Almost
By gruderian on 06/17/11 16:53 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

Great all around highway cruiser. Curves do not exist at practically any speed. Brakes are first class in every respect. Gas mileage averages around 12.5, all city driving; 15.5 combined; and 22.7 highway at any speed below 100 mph ( I know what you are thinking but that is how it works out ). Easy to live with and drive under any conditions. Front seats are very comfortable on long drives. Rough ride over road imperfestions. Extremely large and useful trunk. Not a single problem of any kind for the three years I had it. Some repetetive adjustments on the I drive are ridiculous. Heater will not warm your feet no matter how you adjust it. Throttle control is managed by computer.

Rocket Ship Performance, Stellar Comfort
By Mo on 11/11/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

Just bought this car to replace my 2003 BMW 745Li. Got it with a short shift manual transmission, sport package and aero kit. The car is stellar in performance and handling - a breath of fresh air from my trusty 745. This is my eleventh BMW and is just as reliable if not better than the others. Brings back memories of my 1990 535i 5 speed. The comfort seats are very supportive and provide enough bolstering to encourage spirited driving

The Best Car For A Man
By Jake on 10/05/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

The 550i is amazing. It handles beautifully. The power is so amazing. It just pulls you into the seat. The headlights are awesome. The sound system is A+. There is nothing that I could think of that needs to be changed in the 550i. The seats are also a huge deal. They are super comfortable. The only thing is it eats fuel but the highway fuel economy is really good. But it's worth paying extra for fuel because the power is a great feeling.

Fun, fun, fun
By Ron on 07/24/10 11:45 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

A fun car to drive. Integrated an amazing sport car into a sedan body. Very responsive and safe. Very comfortable front seats and a great sound system. The rear seat is comfortable for 2 adults and one smaller adult in the center.

No substitute for a V8
By tjdjr on 05/18/10 15:10 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

You will not be disappointed with the 550i Sport Package. You must order the sport package with the sport transmission which includes the "wow" button and paddle shifters. You also must order the Logic 7 audio with the USB iPod adapter. Finally Heads up display should be on your option list along with NAV. This car is very comfortable at 90 miles per hour on the interstate. At a steady 75 MPH you will get 24-25 MPG, about 17 MPG around town. I have owned a 2006 750LI, a 2004 Porsche C4S Cabriolet, a 2003 540i Sport Package and other than the open air motoring of the Cab this car takes the best pieces of each and puts them in a single package. Find a good used one with low miles!

Power Sedan
By stingers on 03/04/09 12:58 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

I disagree with the prior reviewer. I too came out of an Audio A6 3.2 into a 550i sport, but think the BMW is a better car in every respect. I have had no problems with my car after almost 2 years of daily use, hard use. I drive this car hard and it delivers! The engine is something to be reckoned with, from 0 to over 100 there is power to spare, just punch it and hang on. The interior is solid as a rock... no squeaks or rattles almost 20k miles. Where the A6 is plastic this car is leather, a true luxury sports sedan. (my A6, my 2nd , was in the shop many times)

Smooth power
By BMW4D on 12/08/08 14:38 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

Just came off a Audi A6 3.2 quattro lease and decided to try the BMW 550i. I had a 2003 BMW 530i previous to the Audi. There is no doubt that the Audi quality and solidity is better than the BMW. The interior design of the Audi is superior as well. Where the BMW comes into its own is how it drives. The 550i is powerful for sure. The motor and suspension dynamics make the car despite is not being as solidly made as the Audi. We will have to see how the reliability of the car goes as the months progress. I never had any problems with either my 2003 530i or my 2006 Audi A6 quattro.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.