2008 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Excellent car!
By btr08 on 01/06/12 19:56 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bought a new 528i, and had it for 2 years and drove only 8K miles. The bad: the pressure pump light came on initially (a relatively common issue addressed by several other BMW reviewers). This was promptly fixed by the dealership without any charge. The good: everything else! One of the best, if not the best, car I've ever driven. Great handling!!! Definitely unique! Seats are awesome! Stereo very good! 21 mpg (85% city- 15% hwy). Extremely quiet cabin, etc. In summary, it gives you that rich person car drive felling. Then I traded it in, as I got a great deal on a Volvo XC60, which is also great. If BMW were overall more reliable, the competition would really suffer.

5 SERIES DEATH TRAP SEE NHTSA.GOV!
By avpgsp2 on 05/25/11 22:43 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I was not aware there were SO many engine issues with these models. While accelerating into high speed traffic, my vehicle stopped suddenly. The engine stalled. Power steering quit. Car was rendered useless. I barely made it off the road when my car finally came to rest. After doing research into safecar.gov I've found that this is an unfortunate problem that BMW will not officially recall, it seems as if it's because they can't offer a permanent fix for the issue. I'm reading that dealerships keep bandaging up major engine failure because BMW NA is not giving them further help regarding this particular engine. Praying that no one must die for the gov't to intervene & for BMW to fix this!

Love my 528i so far..
By kalicat on 05/03/11 15:26 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

After reading all of the reviews, I opted for the 528i instead of the 535i. Bought certified pre-owned (not impressed - had a couple of issues that should have been caught by this supposed 180 point inspection) The car is a blast to drive, luxury and performance at a reasonable price- at least for the pre-owned. I look forward to every drive! I wanted a bigger car for safety and cause I have a young child - but with this car you dont have to compromise style and performace for a practical family sedan. Love the 30 mph on road trips too.

Love, Love this car
By ladybryant on 03/09/11 15:15 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

this is my first BMW and i absolutely love it. it's very stylish and comfortable. a head turner. the gas milaege is average but overall i love it. my next car will definately be another beemer. i chose the 2008 premium model with idrive and could not be happier. it has all the bells and whistles

1st BMW
By Diane Martinez on 02/28/10 18:25 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Well, I had been driving a 1991 Volvo, so the 2008 528 is a major treat!!! Unbelievable in the workmanship, performance and handling!! I hope to always drive a BMW. It just hugs the corners when driving. Cant wait to try it on a Calif hwy like Hwy 1 in Half Moon Bay!

Smooth
By Uncle Walt on 11/25/09 19:33 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bought this car as a CPO with 27,000 miles on. Like new condition. Of course it drives great; however, one surprise. 32.5 MPG!! I've had Cadillacs, Volvos and several other cars; none come close to this car.

Did anyone at BMW think about the inside
By Scott on 11/25/09 09:23 AM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

If someone had told me that I would ever be disappointed driving a BMW I'd have told them they were nuts. With all of the obvious thought given to the exterior design, the mechanical, electronics, etc. Why would they screw up on such no brainers like climate controls, storage, and the ridiculous cupholder arrangement. Did someone at BMW spill coffee on the plans and so the factory just winged it? Other than those minor irritations, it's a great car, quiet, responsive, fun to drive (although nowhere near as fun as my infiniti was), gets decent mileage, and gets a lot of appreciative looks from others.

Great car but iDrive is still ridiculous
By patrick on 11/11/09 22:17 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

The car handles incredibly well as a BMW should. It's quiet, fast, comfortable and fun. But if you are cold or hot...don't expect iDrive to help you out. It takes several minutes to get through the menus. Stupid. If you have an ipod...you better not have a lot of music on it...unlike the ipod scrolling function it takes FOREVER to get through the list. If you want to use the navigation to plot your route...don't use this system. It chokes on the simplest request. In short iDrive, if I had known how truly bad it was before I bought the car would likely have made me buy an Infiniti (and add Dynamat soundproofing). Better value. More intelligently designed user information and climate controls.

Sweet car
By Manny on 11/02/09 15:59 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Interesting to see all of the problems with the twins 535i. On BMW number 3, first 528i after two 3 series a '99 and a '06. Traded up from the '06 325i with 16" run flats, and could not stand the ride anymore, although it cornered like it was on rails. Chose the 528i because I did not want run flats tires on the next bimmer. Car runs great and has only needed one oil change thus far. Drove a 1200 miles round trip averaging 30 mpg at 80 mph. If not sure, stick with the aspirated inline 6s they are bullet prove. Ask any service center mechanic and they will tell you that the 5s are the most trouble free BMWs in the line up. Good solid car.

The BEST Car I Have Owned
By rsulliuvan on 09/14/09 17:26 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Sports and premium pkgs. This car is amazing. Handling is superb, wet or dry. Dunlop run flats hold the road as if you were on rails. The most comfortable seats you have ever placed your tail on. Design is flawless, in and out. Fantastic on long trips, 33 mpg., and a great way to commute. Why I waited so long to purchase THE ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE is beyond me. Of the dozen or so autos I have owned, this is by far the best. 100% class.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.