Used 2008 BMW 5 Series 528i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Excellent car!
By btr08

2008 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bought a new 528i, and had it for 2 years and drove only 8K miles. The bad: the pressure pump light came on initially (a relatively common issue addressed by several other BMW reviewers). This was promptly fixed by the dealership without any charge. The good: everything else! One of the best, if not the best, car I've ever driven. Great handling!!! Definitely unique! Seats are awesome! Stereo very good! 21 mpg (85% city- 15% hwy). Extremely quiet cabin, etc. In summary, it gives you that rich person car drive felling. Then I traded it in, as I got a great deal on a Volvo XC60, which is also great. If BMW were overall more reliable, the competition would really suffer.

Favorite Features

handling and seats.

Suggested Improvements

cupholders.

5 SERIES DEATH TRAP SEE NHTSA.GOV!
By avpgsp2

2008 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I was not aware there were SO many engine issues with these models. While accelerating into high speed traffic, my vehicle stopped suddenly. The engine stalled. Power steering quit. Car was rendered useless. I barely made it off the road when my car finally came to rest. After doing research into safecar.gov I've found that this is an unfortunate problem that BMW will not officially recall, it seems as if it's because they can't offer a permanent fix for the issue. I'm reading that dealerships keep bandaging up major engine failure because BMW NA is not giving them further help regarding this particular engine. Praying that no one must die for the gov't to intervene & for BMW to fix this!

Favorite Features

Interior is divine.

Suggested Improvements

Replace the engine ENTIRELY. Save lives.

Love my 528i so far..
By kalicat

2008 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

After reading all of the reviews, I opted for the 528i instead of the 535i. Bought certified pre-owned (not impressed - had a couple of issues that should have been caught by this supposed 180 point inspection) The car is a blast to drive, luxury and performance at a reasonable price- at least for the pre-owned. I look forward to every drive! I wanted a bigger car for safety and cause I have a young child - but with this car you dont have to compromise style and performace for a practical family sedan. Love the 30 mph on road trips too.

Favorite Features

The DRIVE! Get the sports package - the car handles better and looks much sportier (sits lower, better rims/tires)

Suggested Improvements

CPO dealers need to keep up the quality standards people expect when buying these cars.

Love, Love this car
By ladybryant

2008 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

this is my first BMW and i absolutely love it. it's very stylish and comfortable. a head turner. the gas milaege is average but overall i love it. my next car will definately be another beemer. i chose the 2008 premium model with idrive and could not be happier. it has all the bells and whistles

Favorite Features

design, handling, look, safety features

Suggested Improvements

gas mileage

1st BMW
By Diane Martinez

2008 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Well, I had been driving a 1991 Volvo, so the 2008 528 is a major treat!!! Unbelievable in the workmanship, performance and handling!! I hope to always drive a BMW. It just hugs the corners when driving. Cant wait to try it on a Calif hwy like Hwy 1 in Half Moon Bay!

Favorite Features

the contour seats that hug you in the right places, the ipod connector, the gorgeous natural brown leather seats!

Suggested Improvements

jeez, can they do better with the cupholders?