Used 2008 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews - 191 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

2008 BMW 5 Series

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

The Dream Wedding of Vehicles...
By Blondeinabmw

2008 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Every time you take this car in for service, it costs $1,000...except for when it costs far more than $1,000.
Bought my gorgeous 535i (with the sport package and premium sound) as a special order, and it arrived with 3 miles on the odometer. Since I bought it, I have been plagued with problems. Admittedly, the first 4+ years were pretty much covered under free maintenance with the warranty, but since it went off the maintenance agreement, it has more than made up for the savings.
My car is 8 years old and has 107K miles. During the time I've owned it, it has required:
- Three complete sets of tires plus two sets of rear tires (roughly every 20-30K miles)
- A valve replaced in the engine (towed)
- All six fuel injectors (limped in to the shop)
- Walnut blasting of the intakes
- A water pump (towed)
- Computer software reinstalled (twice, took more than a week each time at the dealership for the reinstall to "stick") (towed)
- Three fuel pumps (towed)
- And now, the CCC is bad. This is a fancy acronym for the iDrive computer system that includes navigation, radio, bluetooth and all the car's controls. It also needs the hydraulics in the hood replaced, the xenon headlight has a malfunction (which requires the entire headlight assembly to be removed from the body of the car to change a LIGHTBULB, and if god forbid the ballast is bad, the bumper must be removed as well). For a change, it is actually driving fairly well, but this repair is gonna cost more than all the others yet!
I've not added it up, but I think this car has cost me at least $1,800 a year in maintenance costs since it went off warranty in 2012, sometimes more.
I will say that the cupholders in this car are the stupidest thing ever designed. It also does not hold car seats very well - infant carriers have to go in the middle back seat or the passenger seat will have to be on the dash, and convertible front-facing seats don't leave a ton of room either.
It drives beautifully. Handles like a dream. Is so comfortable. Feels like a beast when you want it to. Rides gracefully. Looks pretty. Has an amazing sound system. Gets pretty good gas mileage all things considered. SUCKS THE LIFE OUT OF ME.

SAAAAAADDDD BMW owner
By Annie

2008 BMW 5 Series 535xi 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought this car used with a clean car fax in 2010 with less than 15000 miles. I bought an extended warranty just in case. I spent 8 month researching vehicles i would like to own and keep for 10 years. I have made a very poor decision. The maintenance cost on this vehicle will exceed its worth. It's been fun to drive, a very comfortable car with decent gas mileage. However, when I've taken it in for service, it's like sleeping with the devil. Goodbye emergency fund and hello credit card debt. It's the most disappointing feeling to love a car so much and be saddled with such repair bills. Fuel injectors replaced, water pump, thermostat, numerous hoses and vacuum hoses, and now replacing turbos and catalytic converters all before 90,000 miles. Not good resale either!!!

Fun to drive, but unreliable
By lindy62

2008 BMW 5 Series 535xi 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I have owned many German AWD cars, after the Audi S4, this is the most fun to drive. That being said, it is not the most fun to own. I have had numerous mechanical issues and even more electronic issues. I have heard a few complain about the battery. I have switched to an Optima battery, which is cheaper and lasts longer. I have heard that BMW knew about his battery draining issue before they release it, but decided to replace the batteries instead of fixing the issue. The VANOS system had a glitch out east, oiling system out west, sparkplug in the Midwest, and a constant brake issue. I am afraid to open the sunroof for fear that it will not close properly and I’ll have to take it apart and manually close it. The parking assist doesn’t work at all and when it had worked it was over sensitive. Our front windshield was replaced and I still can’t get the intermittent wipers to work properly. The transmission seems to be slipping and I am not willing to spend the money to replace it. If it was repaired at a BMW dealer, it would total the car. Nothing is cheap to replace on the car and local shop don’t have the tools or electronics to work on it, so I have to drive 6 hours to fix something and spend big money on labor and parts.
On the bright side, it gets good mileage for the performance. It rides well, but I feel it is too soft. The backend wiggles on slick roads when it hits a bump at speed and that can be a bit unnerving. There is a lot of room in the back with the seats folded down and have used it as a makeshift tent in bad weather (as long as the sunroof doesn’t leak). The interior has held up well and the body hasn’t rusted. Would not buy one again, because of the reliability issues.

I might have gotten a lemon, but a money pit
By DHecker

2008 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

The most telling example of the problems I've had with this car is the following. The BMW has warning signals for many different things, including that the outside temperature is now 37°. However, it does not have a warning signal to say that for whatever reason a seal in the transmission has blown and all of the fluid is leaking out. Leading to the need for a new transmission. I have had innumerable problems with the engine, electronics, lights, you name it. There is now once again an engine warning light on. I bought the car in 2011 with only 25,000 miles on it. If I have not spent $15,000 in repairs since then, I would be shocked. Don't waste your money.

On the positive side, when it is working and especially on the highway it is a lot of fun to drive. It gets mediocre mileage around town (it is quite heavy). But it gets somewheres around 33 miles per gallon on the highway.

Enjoyable drive
By Don

2008 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Check on maintenance costs before buying. A battery replacement cost me about $300. The covered maintenance program is great. Road noise is quiet. It's a great machine to drive. The electric seats are very comfortable once you figure out all the controls...