2008 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
My BMW 535XI Nightmare
By beinspired65 on 06/11/14 10:52 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I purchsed my 08 BMW XI used 60k miles on it, for the first 6 mos it was all good, while driving out of town the veh completely shut down (water pump), and since this happened there has been one repair after the other, I've always wanted a BMW, after repeated breakdowns and countless repairs, uless the veh is leased, do not waste your money you will end up spending more than anticipated. I've often heard you can drive a BMW for 100k miles with no issues....absolutely not true, and the worse part is you do not know there is a problem until the incator shows up on the dash or the vehicle shuts completely down. VERY FRUSTRATING EXPERIENCE!!!!!!

Fun to drive, poor reliability & expensive to fix
By mqc99 on 02/08/14 21:32 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This was my 1st and last BMW. Bought the car new, in the 6 years and 34K miles I've owned the car, I had a faulty battery, bad fuel pump, dead oxygen sensor, and a failed water pump. I was stranded 3 times (car completely died) and almost stranded twice. So, multiple trips to the shops and over 2 grand of repair bills later, I have finally gave up on this "ultimate driving machine". It was a fun car to drive while it worked. But, for a $60K car, I'd expect BMW to deliver something better. The worst part is that I totally lost my confidence in it and can no longer feel comfortable taking this car on any extended trips. This will be the LAST BMW I ever spend my money on.

Fun to drive
By david_welch on 01/05/14 10:44 AM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I was looking for an AWD sport sedan with a 6 speed manual transmission. The BMW 535xi is the only option in the luxury market. The car is outstanding. It handles extremely well at high speeds and tight corners. The brakes are fantastic and can stop reliably. I wanted a 6 speed manual and the transmission is superb. Shifting is smooth but can be done quickly if accelerating -- merging on the highway is no trouble at all. The AWD is great and I just took the car out for its first test in a New England blizzard. The plow trucks were all out and I only saw a few Audis and Subarus on the road. The BMW climbed icy hills with no trouble at all. Did some donuts too - good times.

Overcomplicated & Unreliable
By samarthvader on 12/08/13 19:55 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

My 2008 535xi has 50,000 miles on it. There always seems to be something going wrong with it every few months. It has been one of the most unreliable cars I've ever owned, but when it is working it is a blast to drive. Even the simplest repairs are ridiculously expensive, and you are often forced to going to the dealer as most independent shops cannot work with the BMW computer system. I don't know what they were thinking when they designed idrive. It takes an engineering degree to change radio stations through idrive. I guess over engineering is the BMW way. This will probably be my 1st and last BMW...

Bullet proof reliability in my 535i Sport Package
By jackspotnspike on 08/31/13 15:18 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought mine used with 40000 miles and with 65000 miles now. I am very happy with the performance and reliability. Nothing has gone wrong with it. I recently put brakes on at an independent BMW shop for $1200, complete. When I punch the accelerator the car is a rocket. It looks great (deep sea blue with natural brown leather seats and tints windows). The seven spoke alloys with the sport package are perfect.

Major Disappointment
By 535nomore on 07/24/13 09:21 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This was my first BMW and I was really excited about buying it. It worked fine for about 6 months and then the trouble started. First it was the "reduced engine power" message related to the turbo system. The result of multiple trips to the dealer consisted of: engine reprogramming, replacing the high pressure fuel pump, replacing injectors, replacing a fuel pressure sensor, and reconnecting a vacuum hose that the mechanic "forgot" to connect. The car has had three water pumps installed. I've also had the battery replaced two years after I bought the car (new), the auxiliary jack replaced (it only played through one channel when I got the car. And a couple of other minor items.

Loved it
By alxislife on 11/05/12 18:27 PM (PST)

2008 BMW 5 Series 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought the car with 40k miles and sold it with 75k miles. The car didn't give me any problems whatsoever and ran perfectly. The only maintenance required was tires, brakes and rotors. No problems with the fuel pump at all. Loved the exterior design and the interior as well. To me the car was the perfect size not to big and not to small. Would definitely recommend! I miss the car but got a great deal on an Infiniti and I needed a change.

Buy It!
By pcman on 10/14/12 14:55 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I've driven this car daily for 3 years and i still look for excuses to go drive it some more. Simply a blast. After testing all the other makes and models of Audi, Acura, Infinity, etc I still say this there's no comparison to how much better this car drives. The fuel pump issue people discuss is silly. BMW continues to cover this even out of warranty. My dealer replaced mine without me mentioning it when I was in for an oil change. I've had zero trouble with this car (knock on wood) and I drive it really hard.

Trouble Free-Call it the Intimidator!
By jcollum68 on 09/28/12 10:38 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

First of all, got this car in 2011 with 30K miles, stickered new for $69,500. It has $75K on it and is 100% trouble free. I have the sport backage in Carbon Black with tinted windows. What can I say, this car is beautiful yet intimidating. Blazing fast with amazing handling. Steering and brakes are A plus and the engine noise is a symphony. Those who look at numbers say a 535i is almost the same-no its not. Get a V8, a rare commodity nowadays. Plenty of room in the interior, high quality materials. I have driven many luxury cars, love teh E60 550i more than any and much more than the new F10 5 series--too big and bland. I want my cars with style, love it or hate it. Buy this car!

Fun car
By turnlund on 08/22/12 17:30 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

We have 140K miles on this car; only recurring issue has been the high pressure fuel pump. BMW replaced it twice, no charge and no questions. Very impressive car, we have at least 60K miles left in it.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.