Used 2007 BMW 5 Series 550i Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

550i-The Ultimate Driving Machine
By ck1246

2007 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

Bought the car used with 39k miles. It is a nicely refined German beast. Super fast and equally comfortable. But you must pay the cost to own such a machine. The 550i takes 8 1/2 quarts of full synthetic, which will run you around 110 bucks at the dealer. Breaks and tires are not cheap on the vehicle. I paid 800 bucks for the front two break pads/rotors. Had an electronic issue with the transmission at about 70k miles but the dealership covered it. If you are prepared to shell out money to maintain it, then I think you will enjoy this car. It is a dream to drive and the i-drive is easy to use although finicky at times. The dealership has been great and supply a new loaner free every time.

Favorite Features

The engine! 360 hp/ 360 ft lbs torque. The seats are super comfortable. Handling. Overall look. Engine sounds great getting on it. Blends muscle car performance with a luxury ride.

Suggested Improvements

The cup holders are atrocious but they fixed it in the new models. Break dust is terrible. Cant keep the wheels clean longer for a few days. Breaks squeal a lot.

Sublime
By Tim

2007 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

Great car bought it from a friend who upgraded to the M5 with the SmG. Has all options except heads up display. She now misses her 550i and I love it. Acceleration is smooth but stupidly fast. Can do 120 and not even break a sweat. Fuel economy is around 17 for city, but 27 for highway doing 80. Impressive. Love the interior, 20 way comfort are great. Idrive is useful I think older people just get confused with new technology (I'm 24). Can be finicky at times however. The styling works for the car depending on the color. Mines black with tan interior so it looks understated and all business. Keep making excuses to go drive somewhere. Car is so much fun.

Favorite Features

Instant V8 power, seats, harman kardon sound with 13 speakers, surprising large trunk, quietness.

Suggested Improvements

fuel economy could be better (improved for 2011 models), cup holders are retarded, get rid of the run flat tires (replaced them with Michelens). Climate control in the Idrive is a pain to use sometimes.

Great car if you're mentally prepared
By Paul

2007 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

I got this as a CPO in June 2010 and waited until now to write a review so I can report any potential problems. Well, this is a great car if you're mentally prepared for BMW(error messages can appear at any time, rattles could come and go, etc). I was prepared for all this before I bought this fully loaded 550i CPO(sport, premium sound, navi, cold weather, convenience, etc ). Coming from a Lexus, my intro to BMW was driving the car with a completely dead battery from the dealer lot. After being stranded, changing the battery, receiving the money spent on battery and cab ride from the dealer, the car has been trouble free and I smile every second I drive it.

Favorite Features

Premium seats, composure, braking, premium sound,amazing V8 performance and growling sound,amber night light interior scheme, perceived heft and quality of everything within reach inside except for cup holders.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders are a joke(they fixed it in the 2011 version), cooled seats (also present in the 2011 version) and MPG - I get 16 in city and 22 on highway - I was prepared for this when I got the car and see it as the price to pay for driving one of the top 10 engines in the world(sweeeet V8)

Great Car after 3 Years
By GD

2007 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

This is my 2nd BMW 530i (I also purchased a 2004) bought brand new each time. I really appreciated the 50K/4 year warranty for everything. Not that I really ever had any major issues with my cars. I'm writing this because after 3 years, I still love my car and plan on keeping this one. I'm about to purchase another new one, a 2011 535i as well. If you like to drive, you can't beat the BMW. I have two teenagers and the chance of driving my 2007 530i is exciting for them.

Favorite Features

Aesthetics, comfort, acceleration and looks cool.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders are not much to brag about.

Ridiculously Fun
By W. A

2007 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

I just purchase my first BMW (2007 550i) I test drove the 528 and did not like the lack of power. The 550i is a BEAST and is a dream to drive, I can't stay home, I take the longest way home and the acceleration is orgasmic. I will never drive another car other than a BMW. Worth every penny. Not sure what my gas mileage will be yet, but so far not bad for a V8 engine.

Favorite Features

Bluetooth, iDrive, the stylish design, sport package, the V8 360hp. Premium sound and navigation.

Suggested Improvements

Like everyone else, there is a lack of storage space. Otherwise hard to find fault with this vehicle.