Used 2007 BMW 5 Series 530i Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

No help from BMW
By brokenwings

2007 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

About 18 months ago we bought two Certified Pre-owned 2007 BMW 530i, automatic, from Vista BMW in south Florida. One gray and the other one (mine) in black. The gray one still have an excellent paint but as you see in the pix below my black car paint is fading. I've seen another 5 series black car with the same problem and another 7 series as well. One friend who works for BMW dealer told me that BMW knows about the problem but they don't want to admit it so they don't loose money on a recall. BMW North America and Vista refused to fix the paint on it. I've been looking around for paint shops and got some quotations ranging from $800 to $4000 for fixing it.

Beware! 2007 BMW 530i
By Chas6263

2007 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

The 2007 530i is an overrated, bloated car. I owned a 540i for many years and loved it. A genuine 'ultimate driving machine'. I made a terrible mistake to trade it in for a 530i. Don't be fooled by the namesake 'BMW' - the 530i can hardly get out of its way - 255 HP is a joke in this heavy tank. I'm convinced a VW Rabbit can beat this hyped vehicle. Most owners won't admit they own this piece of crap (too embarrassed to admit since most - I included - paid a fortune for an overrated car). Anyone out there want a 2007 530i?

New to BMW
By Leonberger

2007 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

After much research I made the plunge and bought a low mileage 530i. My observations: Ride: the car has a great tight ride. Either you like it or you don't - I love it. iDrive: reviews of idrive nearly caused me to buy another car. If you expect to get in and drive off and immediately operate idrive, you will likely be frustrated. If you will read the manual while sitting in your driveway for 20 minutes, it is not much different than Windows and a mouse. I'm 57 and computer literate. Climate control was the only part of idrive I did not master (without needing to look) in 24 hours. Fuel economy from FL to GA was an amazing 31 mpg @ 75-80 mph. I love the car.

Favorite Features

comfortable seats, performance, handling, braking.

Suggested Improvements

I have no complaints.

My first and last BMW
By phmokda

2007 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

On the advice of a friend, I ended a twelve year streak of Lexus ownership for a new BMW. The tipping point for me was the unlimited warranty for four years or 50,000 miles. The car rides great but the I control is maddening and the car is way too computerized. It drops my bluetooth settings regularly and the battery has died three times in the last 11 months. The tow truck driver today told the cars he has to jump the most are BMW's! I am convinced it is a computer problem and they really don't know how to fix it. The driver seat, despite what seems like 1,000 different settings, is uncomfortable and has no support between the shoulder blades. This will be my last Bimmer.

Favorite Features

Trunk space, audio, acceleration, and handling

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the I control. Give consumer an option for a full tire spare rather than the run flats. The car is too computerized-please return to basic mechanical engineering.

It's worth it
By markt

2007 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Wow - what fun to drive. I wish I had the extra power of the 550 or the 535, but this car has it when you need it. I like to drive it in Drive Sport as it really hugs the road, and gives me the extra boost of speed.

Favorite Features

Styling, road handling, seats, BMW quality.

Suggested Improvements

iDrive could be better thought out. Car lacks some of the bells and whistles you'd think would be in a car of this caliber. Internal storage is nil. I can't even find a place to put my sunglasses.