Used 2007 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

550i-The Ultimate Driving Machine
By ck1246

2007 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

Bought the car used with 39k miles. It is a nicely refined German beast. Super fast and equally comfortable. But you must pay the cost to own such a machine. The 550i takes 8 1/2 quarts of full synthetic, which will run you around 110 bucks at the dealer. Breaks and tires are not cheap on the vehicle. I paid 800 bucks for the front two break pads/rotors. Had an electronic issue with the transmission at about 70k miles but the dealership covered it. If you are prepared to shell out money to maintain it, then I think you will enjoy this car. It is a dream to drive and the i-drive is easy to use although finicky at times. The dealership has been great and supply a new loaner free every time.

The engine! 360 hp/ 360 ft lbs torque. The seats are super comfortable. Handling. Overall look. Engine sounds great getting on it. Blends muscle car performance with a luxury ride.

The cup holders are atrocious but they fixed it in the new models. Break dust is terrible. Cant keep the wheels clean longer for a few days. Breaks squeal a lot.

Exterior molding is of very low quality
By beemaman

2007 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've owned my car for about three and a half years. I bought my 2007 530xi in the beginning of 2010 and it has been a great car. Handles great. Never stuck in snow. Pretty reliable till about two months ago. First I noticed that it takes about 3-4 seconds for it to start after pressing the 'start' button. In addition, the exterior of this car is built with very cheap quality materials. The BMW logo from the hood fell off (just the emblem, the silver part is still on the hood - the dealership said, that its 'normal' to fall off after 5 or so years) The Windshield molding on the front and the back have started to deteriorate to the point that water have started to seep thru a bit.

This car handles corners great!

BMW needs to have better quality finishing materials for windshield molding and the BMW emblem on the hood of the car. Cheaper cars seem to have more durable finishing than this car.

No help from BMW
By brokenwings

2007 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

About 18 months ago we bought two Certified Pre-owned 2007 BMW 530i, automatic, from Vista BMW in south Florida. One gray and the other one (mine) in black. The gray one still have an excellent paint but as you see in the pix below my black car paint is fading. I've seen another 5 series black car with the same problem and another 7 series as well. One friend who works for BMW dealer told me that BMW knows about the problem but they don't want to admit it so they don't loose money on a recall. BMW North America and Vista refused to fix the paint on it. I've been looking around for paint shops and got some quotations ranging from $800 to $4000 for fixing it.

Fun to Drive! 2007 530XI (6speed manual)
By 5pack

2007 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have wanted a BMW for 20 years. I purchased my first BMW a year ago. It is a CPO. I bought the all inclusive warranty and the tire warranty. The car preformed great this past winter with the snow. I have absolutely no complaints. The handling is unbelievable. I am a person that uses the warranties. I have taken it twice for a service. I have also have had to put 2 tires on it. I highly recommend the tire warranty. One tire was for a pot hole, and the other is a nail. I am very satisfied with my purchase. I was extremely worried before hand, if someone feels the same way I do, then I recommend you go for it. Driving this car is about the joyment of driving, not getting from point A to B.

My favorite features: manual, idrive system, ipod, and most of all the handling.

I would like the seats to a little more softer. I came from top of the line luxury large suv. It is the only thing I liked better. The seats are still very nice.

Time to Say So Long
By hoosierbmw

2007 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is an update to my earlier review. While I love my 525xi and how it drives... it is time to go. I had to replace a headlight BULB..xenon at $200 installed, then a backup bulb.. had to take entire light assembly out...$41 dollars. All my other cars don't ding me for small fixes.. can't afford to keep up payments + repairs.

How it drives. Comfortable seats. High quality interior

Reliability. I love the car. But I had to go back to Honda. Even a indy mechanic wasn't cheap enough to make economic sense.