2007 BMW 5 Series 525i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Sort Reviews by

550i-The Ultimate Driving Machine
By ck1246

2007 BMW 5 Series 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

Bought the car used with 39k miles. It is a nicely refined German beast. Super fast and equally comfortable. But you must pay the cost to own such a machine. The 550i takes 8 1/2 quarts of full synthetic, which will run you around 110 bucks at the dealer. Breaks and tires are not cheap on the vehicle. I paid 800 bucks for the front two break pads/rotors. Had an electronic issue with the transmission at about 70k miles but the dealership covered it. If you are prepared to shell out money to maintain it, then I think you will enjoy this car. It is a dream to drive and the i-drive is easy to use although finicky at times. The dealership has been great and supply a new loaner free every time.

Favorite Features

The engine! 360 hp/ 360 ft lbs torque. The seats are super comfortable. Handling. Overall look. Engine sounds great getting on it. Blends muscle car performance with a luxury ride.

Suggested Improvements

The cup holders are atrocious but they fixed it in the new models. Break dust is terrible. Cant keep the wheels clean longer for a few days. Breaks squeal a lot.

Exterior molding is of very low quality
By beemaman

2007 BMW 5 Series 530xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've owned my car for about three and a half years. I bought my 2007 530xi in the beginning of 2010 and it has been a great car. Handles great. Never stuck in snow. Pretty reliable till about two months ago. First I noticed that it takes about 3-4 seconds for it to start after pressing the 'start' button. In addition, the exterior of this car is built with very cheap quality materials. The BMW logo from the hood fell off (just the emblem, the silver part is still on the hood - the dealership said, that its 'normal' to fall off after 5 or so years) The Windshield molding on the front and the back have started to deteriorate to the point that water have started to seep thru a bit.

Favorite Features

This car handles corners great!

Suggested Improvements

BMW needs to have better quality finishing materials for windshield molding and the BMW emblem on the hood of the car. Cheaper cars seem to have more durable finishing than this car.

No help from BMW
By brokenwings

2007 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

About 18 months ago we bought two Certified Pre-owned 2007 BMW 530i, automatic, from Vista BMW in south Florida. One gray and the other one (mine) in black. The gray one still have an excellent paint but as you see in the pix below my black car paint is fading. I've seen another 5 series black car with the same problem and another 7 series as well. One friend who works for BMW dealer told me that BMW knows about the problem but they don't want to admit it so they don't loose money on a recall. BMW North America and Vista refused to fix the paint on it. I've been looking around for paint shops and got some quotations ranging from $800 to $4000 for fixing it.

Fun to Drive! 2007 530XI (6speed manual)
By 5pack

2007 BMW 5 Series 530xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have wanted a BMW for 20 years. I purchased my first BMW a year ago. It is a CPO. I bought the all inclusive warranty and the tire warranty. The car preformed great this past winter with the snow. I have absolutely no complaints. The handling is unbelievable. I am a person that uses the warranties. I have taken it twice for a service. I have also have had to put 2 tires on it. I highly recommend the tire warranty. One tire was for a pot hole, and the other is a nail. I am very satisfied with my purchase. I was extremely worried before hand, if someone feels the same way I do, then I recommend you go for it. Driving this car is about the joyment of driving, not getting from point A to B.

Favorite Features

My favorite features: manual, idrive system, ipod, and most of all the handling.

Suggested Improvements

I would like the seats to a little more softer. I came from top of the line luxury large suv. It is the only thing I liked better. The seats are still very nice.

Great Car
By rsochaj

2007 BMW 5 Series 530xi 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought the car special order from Germany with a 6 speed manual. The car has been exactly what I've been expecting, sporty, spacious and with all the luxury you expect with a BMW. The car has been exceptionally reliable with 60k miles without any mechanical or electrical issues. I only wish NA would have the choice for a M5 6 spd Wagon. I am quite sad to see the wagon discontinued when the GT model came to Canada. The car is a perfect family mover.

Favorite Features

Handling and the seats with the sports package are the most worthy option I've chosen. It comes withe the sports seats, M steering wheel, upgrades rims, trim kit/skirt, fog lights. The other main reason for the purchase was that this car was the only high end wagon/large car that had a option for a manual transmission.

Suggested Improvements

With the addition of the sport package a roof rack cannot be used. This is typically not a problem since it is a wagon with plenty of space. The pass through allows for skiis but will eliminate the option of a 5 passenger.

Time to Say So Long
By hoosierbmw

2007 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is an update to my earlier review. While I love my 525xi and how it drives... it is time to go. I had to replace a headlight BULB..xenon at $200 installed, then a backup bulb.. had to take entire light assembly out...$41 dollars. All my other cars don't ding me for small fixes.. can't afford to keep up payments + repairs.

Favorite Features

How it drives. Comfortable seats. High quality interior

Suggested Improvements

Reliability. I love the car. But I had to go back to Honda. Even a indy mechanic wasn't cheap enough to make economic sense.

An economical BMW?
By Anonymous

2007 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

We bought a base '07 525i with 19k miles through the BMW CPO program in May 2008. We liked the looks, practicality, and BMW performance at a reasonable price. The scheduled maintenance program and warranty were icing on the cake. Over the last two and a half years, we have found that the combination of reliability, low maintenance costs, and amazingly good fuel mileage (consistently 20 city, 33 highway MPG) has made this a very economical car. It's a typical German cruiser on the interstate(autobahn) -- fast, smooth, and tracks beautifully. As a result of our experience, we have designated this car our secret "economy car" in luxury car clothes. I will consider BMW CPO again.

Favorite Features

Driving precision and feel. Practicality (four doors). Low operating costs. CPO program features. BMW looks and panache.

Suggested Improvements

A fold down rear seat should be standard equipment. This feature would greatly enhance the cargo flexibility of this car.

Realistic Review
By Autoluver

2007 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought it cpo with 21,000 miles on it about a year ago I have the awesome extended warranty which was one of the final selling points for me. I have had a few small issues and BMW has fixed them on the spot no questions asked. The best thing about this car is driving it if you want a sports car but want four doors and some room this is your car . Handling is exceptional. It is so much fun to drive plus 32 mpg highway. The quality on the interior is good. I am 6,1 and a decent size guy I still have a little room left over. Cup holders awful everyone says it but hey it's really the only thing bad I can say about it. I like the idrive. Radio is not bad. Buy one with the warranty you will luv it!

Favorite Features

idrive, handling, adaptive xenon headlights.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holder fixed in 2011.. oh and whoever thought of putting the radio input jack in the backseat area. HELLO! And now its hidden in the arm rest! Really? c'mon! you don't need to hide it is just a little hole.

I lover my BMW
By nelson Martinez

2007 BMW 5 Series 525xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

My first German car and the moment I test drove this car i felt how the handling was so tight. On a open highway I feel free as a bird. Cold weather pkg makes this care a breeze to use on those cold days. Heated seats, steering wheel dual zones meant no fighting between me and my wife who is always cold no matter what type of weather it is in New York. I purchased this car as an early retirement gift but I keep getting in it despite own 2 other vehicles for commuter cars. All I can say over all this BMW is off the hook and a attention getter on the road or parked.

Favorite Features

iDrive system 7 speaker prologic stereo system interior lighting

Suggested Improvements

gas mileage is respectable but can be better

Sublime
By Tim

2007 BMW 5 Series 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

Great car bought it from a friend who upgraded to the M5 with the SmG. Has all options except heads up display. She now misses her 550i and I love it. Acceleration is smooth but stupidly fast. Can do 120 and not even break a sweat. Fuel economy is around 17 for city, but 27 for highway doing 80. Impressive. Love the interior, 20 way comfort are great. Idrive is useful I think older people just get confused with new technology (I'm 24). Can be finicky at times however. The styling works for the car depending on the color. Mines black with tan interior so it looks understated and all business. Keep making excuses to go drive somewhere. Car is so much fun.

Favorite Features

Instant V8 power, seats, harman kardon sound with 13 speakers, surprising large trunk, quietness.

Suggested Improvements

fuel economy could be better (improved for 2011 models), cup holders are retarded, get rid of the run flat tires (replaced them with Michelens). Climate control in the Idrive is a pain to use sometimes.