From Mercedes to BMW
By new bmw fan on
2006 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)
I have a black on black BMW 530i with smoked windows and a 6-speed stick tranny. This car is absolutely the coolest car I've owned. I get so many looks and glances in the parking lot and this car isn't even brand new. It was a CPO and I got a very good deal on it. It runs smooth all the way up to 125 mph (fastest I've gone in it) and handles like a dream. The steering is very quick around parking lots but not too quick out on the highway. It's also very quick. I was bored one afternoon and timed a 6.5 sec 0-60 run, w/o even launching it from a high rev. It feels much stronger than its somewhat unamazing 255hp and 220 lb-ft torque would suggest. The rear seats are huge and comfy
Favorite Features
The iDrive; it's sophisticated and NOT hard to use at all. Love the 6-speed (30k miles on the clutch and shifts are still smooth and crisp feeling). Love the active steering feature; quickens the steering a lot; VERY fun to drive and toss around. 29 mpg is also a pleasure.
Suggested Improvements
My one suggestion is to please fix the speedometer inaccuracy. When I drive past a highway radar sign on the side of the road doing exactly 80, the radar is claiming I'm only doing about 74-75. I think in a car this costly they should at least know how to build a simple speedometer.