Used 2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

BMW's Worst
By Bill Richter

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I'll start with the positive: the car is fun to drive. Now the negatives: There are several fatal design flaws that make ownership a real pain. For example, the six disk changers cartridge is at the back of the glove box and only accessible from the passenger seat (with all the glove box contents emptied). The center consoles is hard to access, provides limited space and lacks a power outlet or ipod connection. Unexplainably, there are two power outlets for the back seat passengers. idrive is useless. For a simply function, like shifting the air vent from the dash to the feet, it takes a dozen clicks. The 3 series is a classic and the 7 is luxury, but the 5 is downright useless.

Handling, cornering and blue tooth phone integration.

Redesign interior as suggested above, eliminate idrive.

Worth the patience
By LiftThis

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

Ya know how you never buy a 1.0 release of software. Consider that for a car. While the dealership was wonderful, and we would definitely buy a car from them again, it took several trips back and forth to the dealership to work out some of the bugs in the cars firmware. Once that was fixed, WOW! I love this car. It's faster, handles better than my 2001 Porche 911 cabrio, and is quite the sleeper. I have also driven a 2005 E55 Mercedes Benz AMG, and I will take my 550 any day. The handling and braking are superb. Most folks won't be disappointed in the acceleration either. After a few M3s and Porsches, as a car lover, I can tell you that I love this car.

Handling, braking, acceleration. If you like to drive, you will love this car.

Quality assurance!

Awesome car
By frankie

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This car is one of the best on the market. I love having my comfort access system in the winter because I can turn my car on and have it be warm when I get in it. Or you can just have a smart key, it opens the trunk, locks and unlocks the doors. The only thing it doesn't do that comfort access does is start the engine when you are not in the car. The handling on this car is awesome. My sister has a 525xi and it slips very rarely. The added horespower on the 530xi is worth it if you get stuck. If you have one or two kids then maybe you should get it for your wife but when they want to have friends in the car it gets kind of cramped. But for a working man it is perfect. Bluetooth is great.

I love iDrive. It is so cool. It is not hard to use. Heated front, rear and steering wheel make the ride very comfortable. Also the comfort seats with massage are good. The active steering on the xi models is awesome. The key memory is good because it automaticaly adjusts to your personal settings.

I live in upstate New York and I wish I could switch from all wheel drive to rear wheel drive in the summer. It makes me mad that I am paying for extra gas for all wheel drive in the summer. You can only fit two people comfortably in the back.

Thats the Radio for 50K
By Andy

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

The car is one of the most sure footed cars I have ever driven. I have two concerns - first there is a rattle in the back deck that the dealer fixed for a few day - it will be going back and second is the radio. I can't believe the tinny distorted sound I get from the radio. I brought it back to the deal and was told it was working as designed and I can't upgrade it. Looks like aftermarked to fix it. Listen well to the radio before you buy.

The ride, the lighting package and the heated seats.

Fix the radio - please!!!

My review.
By Patrick Bond

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I just recently purchased the 2006 BMW 530i from a dealer in Phoenix drove it back to Canada and the whole time I was driving it I never was once bored. Two and a half days of straight driving and I wish I were still driving it. Driving through the mountains was great - it handled the turns perfectly. I love this vehicle.

Everything this car has is my favorite thing, the looks are awesome it handle perfectly.

I like everything about this vehicle. I guess some of the electronics are a little hard to learn but that will just take some time.