Used 2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Great improvements!
By Jack

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I used to have a 95 525i and found it was getting to be time to upgrade, so I traded up to a 2006 530i with manual transmission and navigation. Wife really wanted the manual, great gas mileage (30 hwy) and the car can really go with 6-speed transmission. Interior is great, iDrive is easy, if you have patience. No need for Tokyo lights, great to have cleaner lines. Bigger room in back seat for 2-3 people and truck is nice in size. Very happy to have the car!

My old 525i had NO cupholders, so these new ones are great! IDrive is great, works well, wife LOVES the phone integration with blackberry. Love the acceleration and ability to zoom around objects.

None.

'06 550i sport
By bluebimmer

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

Love my Bimmer! The sport package is a must! Drives and handles very well. I heard things about the iDrive but realized that it is not complicated at all, I can even input on navi while driving, cup holders do not bother me either. Heads-up display is awesome, it even shows directions from navi. Very comfortable. Overall the car makes a statement!

Heads-up, navigation, satellite radio. Looks great!

GPS instead of DVD navigation

Very Pleased
By Car Nut

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

We purchased CPO, the same as our long term 2002 5 series, and didn't think I could like it more than what I already had. Well, I do. These cars feel as if they are carved out of one solid block of steel and drive/handle like nothing else. It is luxurious, incredibly sporty and awesome. Probably the absolute best value there is in a high end car.

Beautiful in and out. Love the iDrive (what was the talk about this being complicated - I think it is great!). It is like driving a race car that purrs like a kitten and turns heads everywhere it goes. The black leather and wood are incredible.

Perhaps slightly larger ext. mirrors?

The good and the bad
By squadless

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

I've had this 550i for about a year, the car is awesome. Very fun to drive, turns heads (especially those people who rev up their engines in their G35 or the equivalent). Reliability - not so good. In 1 year I went through 5 tires and 2 cracked rims. Note I do live in New York City where the roads are NOT the best but before this I had a Lexus LS430 since 2001 and I only went through 1 tire so do the math.

SPEEEED! ACCELERATION! I-Drive! and the whole interior + exterior

Cupholders are awful. They're made to be broken at which point you crazy clue those bad boys back into place. Tires - RFT is the only plausible solution? Rims - why are they so weak on this years 5 series?

From Mercedes to BMW
By new bmw fan

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have a black on black BMW 530i with smoked windows and a 6-speed stick tranny. This car is absolutely the coolest car I've owned. I get so many looks and glances in the parking lot and this car isn't even brand new. It was a CPO and I got a very good deal on it. It runs smooth all the way up to 125 mph (fastest I've gone in it) and handles like a dream. The steering is very quick around parking lots but not too quick out on the highway. It's also very quick. I was bored one afternoon and timed a 6.5 sec 0-60 run, w/o even launching it from a high rev. It feels much stronger than its somewhat unamazing 255hp and 220 lb-ft torque would suggest. The rear seats are huge and comfy

The iDrive; it's sophisticated and NOT hard to use at all. Love the 6-speed (30k miles on the clutch and shifts are still smooth and crisp feeling). Love the active steering feature; quickens the steering a lot; VERY fun to drive and toss around. 29 mpg is also a pleasure.

My one suggestion is to please fix the speedometer inaccuracy. When I drive past a highway radar sign on the side of the road doing exactly 80, the radar is claiming I'm only doing about 74-75. I think in a car this costly they should at least know how to build a simple speedometer.

• SUV