Used 2006 BMW 5 Series 525i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Amazing
By EricJohn

2006 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Wow... I had wanted a BMW for years, and finally pulled the trigger on a 525i CPO. I didn't see the need for the 530, as I believe the 215 HP on the 525 was enough. Amazing handling, feel, and I love the iDrive. I understand the griping, but all it takes is a few minutes of studying, and I love it.

Favorite Features

Handling, Rear Wheel Drive, suspension. Sport mode is fantastic, as well as the manual mode. I love it.

Suggested Improvements

Radio speakers stink...and I mean stink. Thicker steering wheel as well would be nice.

Dissapointing 524i
By Ben Bimmer

2006 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This car first and foremost is weak. It is a big car with no wow factor. Do not purchase premium package because you'll get bored quickly. There is no exhilaration factor, nothing that stands out except good steering. The weird curves on this car make it somewhat confusing when backing up as it is very bloated. Electronic throttle makes the car seem not connected with the driver, there seems to be a delay. The looks are not impressive, I thought this was a car and not a spaceship. This car is a huge disappointment as I have compared it to my brothers 2001 BMW 525i which looks better and somehow feels more reliable and nicer to drive, has some more oomph to it. Do not be fooled.

Favorite Features

Steering feel is decent with the prem. package, safety features, good for trips and highway driving.

Suggested Improvements

Weak stereo, better design, loose the bloated look, give us something decent in terms of power. Fix front seat - they look and feel cheap. No more iDrive. No more run-flats. Make the car a bit more sporty, feels more like a luxury car and change interior completely, it's horribly constructed.

Absolutely Perfect!
By femmedrive

2006 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Love this car more than any other. Purchased sports package, winter package and upgraded further to 19" special order BMW rims w/new michelins (handles even better than with stock), had dealer tint windows (hot in NC during summer). Handling is perfect. Also negotiated for iPod hook up which is now a necessity. iDrive & bluetooth easy to use if you spend a few minutes with it. Less buttons on dash is good - hate a cluttered console. Haven't had a single problem with anything. This car is absolutely gorgeous. I can't count the number of compliments I get on it and mostly from men who are surprised it's driven by a woman :-)

Favorite Features

iPod hook up, heated seats, handling, bluetooth, overall aesthetic, drivability, comfort on long trips, adjustable seats for more the more petite, room in back seat.

Suggested Improvements

none

A whole different level
By Jim W.

2006 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This car is a real pleasure to drive. Dead quiet without a bit of mush. The 525i won't throw your head back into the powered headrest but it does get you onto the interstate just fine. Once there you can cruise at 70mph/2400rpm and watch your mpg gauge hover above the 30mpg mark. I often find myself seeking out corners to carve. If I was forced to complain... it takes a little bit more time to zip between radio bands and stations or ejecting and inserting CDs. IDrive would be rough on the techno challenged among us. I'm not used to a car without a dipstick either. Don't let any of this stop you from experiencing the craftsmanship and engineering excellence of this car. Even if it's a test drive

Favorite Features

Built in rechargeable flashlight w/logo, passenger mirror automatically tilts down to view curb when in reverse. Cruise control indicator mark magically appears on the perimeter of the speedo in a most cool way.

Suggested Improvements

A few discreet buttons for radio presets or band. Easier vent and heat routing changes.

05 325 upgragde
By Autobahner4

2006 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bought this for my wife to replace her 05 325i. Wow, what a great decision. This car is the most fun we've had in yaers. Both of us can't find much excitement in autos from past industry work. This car has awakened the romance of vehicle ownership!

Favorite Features

bluetooth, idrive, interior, everything, ride quality. NO WIND NOISE!!

Suggested Improvements

a lower pricepoint for the 525i and a few more horses.