2006 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
buy one if you can
By icwl on 01/21/06 23:14 PM (PST)

2006 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Probably my 15th car over 25 years of driving. Definitely the best so far. Fun to drive, aggressive styling, few on the road, lots of looks. Gas mileage is acceptable (24 to 27 mpg depending on driving style). At the limit of what I would spend on a car but great size for 4 adults, long trips, safe and solid. The short 6 automatic gears create fun acceleration for a large sedan. And yes, it does go 155 mph.

Killer Car
By bobgs on 10/15/05 18:02 PM (PDT)

2006 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I considered many cars before deciding on the 525 but none live up to the 525. I get excited every time I step into this car. Handling, comfort, transmission, and styling (in my opinion) are best in class. 525 power is adequate and even deceptively strong. I don't think the 40hp upgrade to the 530 is worth the money. Overall the best car in the 40-50k range.

It's OK, but too slow...
By Jerry Kadash on 09/20/05 19:44 PM (PDT)

2006 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've had two problems, I can live with them till service. One is annoying with the sun roof. It operates, but BANGS/pops closing most times. Close once, bang, open close again, less bang. Seems most awful when hot, car parked. Anyway, I've had 530s previously...very nice. My 525, I thought the quicker 6 spd autotrans, it would have more zip. Seems very anemic on the highway and byway! Bodystyle I've grown to appreciate and like. The competition is copying it. Also I now know if I pass my bodystyle on the road, it's an '04 or later.

HUGE disappointment
By jw on 09/09/05 20:59 PM (PDT)

2006 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This car is highly overrated and I'm very sorry I purchased it. I will never purchase a BMW again. It's not comfortable, and even at 3000 miles hasn't been reliable. I intend to sell it and purchase a true luxury car. The ride and drive aren't smooth or what you should be able to expect from a car at this price. Most disappointing is that it isn't fun to drive. It feels like my father's car with a little more hp. The cup holders are hysterical---the driver's and passenger's are both on the passenger side---very uncomfortable to access and dangerous to use lean over to use when driving. The leg room is worse than most cars this size. My first and last BMW.

Fantastic Five
By Robert Nance on 09/07/05 21:44 PM (PDT)

2006 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

We love our new 525i. It has great pickup and spectacular fuel economy. On a recent trip we averaged over 31 miles to the gallon and went almost 500 on one tank of gas. We recommend the Navigation with voice activation. It is great.

2006 5 Series is great
By DP on 08/10/05 15:59 PM (PDT)

2006 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

As a former owner of a 2001 BMW 3 Series and 2001 & 2003 C240, I have to say that my 2006 525i is awesome. The design is trailblazing, handling sensational and the ride is exceptional. My gas mileage is better with the 5 series than it was with the 3 series or the C240. I would recommend this car to anyone who loves the driving experience and wants to maximum how their money is spent in the luxury market.

Ignition lock up
By Sree on 07/29/05 13:57 PM (PDT)

2006 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I got my new 06 525i last week. The ignition locked up this morning. The key will not go in at all. Road side assistance told me to wait 30 minutes since this could be an anti-theft protection. However, even after 1 hr the ignition was locked up. I called up the dealter and I was told that to have the road side assistance tow the car in. Not good for a one week old car. Otherwise, the car was driving great..

Am I Alone
By Mona on 07/14/05 14:25 PM (PDT)

2006 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I am currently driving 5 series 06 model & it is an absolute joy & delight to drive. It is indeed the Ultimate Driving Machine. Here is my dilemma: One month after I got the car, I got a Check Control Message & the IDrive indicated "High Battery Drain!" As per the dealer, I need to drive the car more often because the car has a lot of power & it not good to keep it parked for a long time. I was driving it twice a week & still got the message. I called the dealer again took it twice to the dealer in less than a week. Conclusion: There is a software problem that makes this message pop up & the problem is being worked on in their main office in New Jersey.

fun
By great car on 07/10/05 08:40 AM (PDT)

2006 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This by far is the best car I have ever driven! The handling and comfort is incredible. It is a lot of fun to drive and looks great the body style catches everyone eye!!!

2006 525i
By cw on 06/04/05 13:53 PM (PDT)

2006 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

The 3.0 liter engine provides plenty of power. This car is lots of fun to drive. However, everything is electronic. There is not even a oil dipstick; you'll have to use iDrive to check oil level.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.