2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Truly Fantastic
By Fantastic Five on 03/17/06 21:24 PM (PST)

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

This car does so many things right, it's staggering how good it is. It is fast, comfortable, good looking, innovative, and handles better than 99% of all cars. The engine, transmission and suspension are so smooth, you quickly realize that you pay for refinement. Anyone can make a fast car, but no one can make a car that "feels" like this one. The features that this car has are unparalled. It does everything you ask. IDrive is awesome, and the people who bag on it are people who do not understand the logic behind computers. If you're good with a PC, you'll love iDrive. Great, great car.

550i
By Darrell Johnson on 03/13/06 10:41 AM (PST)

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

First BMW. Ex Porsche guy. Surprised at performance and balance - simply excellent. IDrive is nonsense. In and of itself it's not so hard to use, just plain silly. Can't even check oil accurately. Have yet to figure out how to store a radio station. Sat radio, though, is outstanding. Nav system w/ voice activation is almost useless as apparently German written instructions don't decipher into understandable English. The extra $240 for the 2nd year road assist is a waste. Got most options except heads up display & wish I had checked the headlight auto bright control option. Would have been nice to have. No real problems.

A dream car
By Downunder on 03/04/06 19:04 PM (PST)

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

Had a 1997 535i I loved and couldn't part with. Finally and reluctantly I bought my 550i - shouldn't have waited - it's a simply fantastic car. I look forward to the morning drive more than ever and my SL500 stays parked in the garage. Great performance, handling and comfort as well as all the hitec gismos to keep me happy - and they are useful too particulary headup and satnav. Great. IDrive is simply learnt in a few hours that motoring journos obviously don't give it. Simple - intuitive - and very easy to use regularly when needed.

the dream machine ?
By orcave on 02/25/06 07:29 AM (PST)

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

After years of owning Mercedes I decided to go for the bmw based on the good reviews and a very favorable test drive. I bought mine with the sport package. What was I thinking buying mercedes? This is so far the best driving experience I ever had. I regret not buying one before. Build quality and performance are outstanding, as well as confort. Once you get the hang og it, the I drive is actually helpfull. My first taste of BMW has left me already wondering about the M models. If you are thinking about a car in this price range.... think no more, this is it.

Best 4 Door Performance Car on the Marke
By Bill Tabalo on 02/12/06 21:29 PM (PST)

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

This car is truly a blast to drive. Fast, nimble, all the cool toys inside- -THe Ultimate Driving Machinge without question. The engine sounds great, feels smooth and never seems to hit the end of the power band. Interestingly, I get 26-27 mpg on the highway and combined of about 20--not much less than my 325. All in all, this is the best 4 door performance car on the market. After driving it, all the complaints about the I-Drive, styling or other small stuff sounds more like sour grapes from those that do not get to drive one to work each day.

More than expected
By DJP on 02/10/06 10:31 AM (PST)

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

This is, without question, the best 4 door sports car on the market. It is not too big like the 7 series or S class and it moves like the wind. It is a pleasure to drive everyday. Powerful but well mannered. The iDrive gets a bad rap, it is not complicated, nor do you have to use it often once you have things set to your liking. Surprisingly, the hwy mileage has been 26-27 mpgs, fairly close to my 325.

Muscle car for adults
By dg on 02/05/06 08:50 AM (PST)

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

This is the best balance of a pure performace car and respectable sedan available. It is a blast to drive, the 365HP engine is quiet and refined during normal driving, but hit the gas and it will nail you to the seat. The active suspension keeps it flat and traction control keeps the rear end in line. This car will make you take the long way home and send you looking for twisty roads. If you have to stick to the highway it will give you a smooth quiet ride and 26MPG.

Ultimate Sports Sedan
By Tony on 01/30/06 22:56 PM (PST)

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

Tried every sport sedan out and was a loyal Lexus buyer. Owned several BMW in past and missed the sporty drive in BMW. One test drive in the 550 was all it took. GS430 and Infiniti could not match the combination of both luxury and sport. Took one year to testing cars to finally buy BMW 550. HUD is the best thing since sliced bread. So far no problems and puts smile on face every time I drive it. I-Drive is so easy to use dont listen to people that have not learned the system it took me two days to master it, once you do you wont go back to anything else.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.