2006 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews 2

2006 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
A dream come true
By Craiggb on 06/21/10 13:32 PM (PDT)

2006 BMW 5 Series 530xi 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I had rented a 2005 5 series wagon while in Europe and put nearly 3,000 km - wanted one ever since! This car has a gas engine, AWD and a few more options but the same body and feel. It's clear to me that BMW builds a better vehicle than most. I have owned 37 cars in my life so far and this is indeed at the top (second only to my Boxster) when it comes to fit, finish and feel. The handling is superb, the seating position very comfortable, and power is adequate. The 255 hp is enough but, as is the case with every car, it slowly becomes insufficient as one gets to know the car well. The auto trans is very nice and the Sport mode is great. Good on gas if you don't get too aggressive ;-).

Doesn't leave much to desire
By Vitix2 on 03/17/10 19:28 PM (PDT)

2006 BMW 5 Series 530xi 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've owned the BMW 530XiT for 4 yrs. and I can't think of another car that I would have preferred to own/drive regularly. By now you know that it is a great car. It exemplifies quality, athleticism, utility, and looks (IMHO). No need to rehash those traits. So, I'll move onto what I think could be improved. Power: It does great at highway speed or once you get the RPMs up. But, that performance is unmatched at the low end. Idrive: My system gets stuck at times and I have to re-select functions. No big deal, but I expect better. Panoramic Sliding Roof: Great feature, but wind noise over 30mph is out of control. Worse, BMW does not make a wind deflector that fits the model.

Fantastic Vehicle
By Don of Spring on 03/07/10 10:27 AM (PST)

2006 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This 2006 530i is my first BMW, which I purchases Used with 5K miles. The combination of performance, comfort and excellent fuel mileage (32-38 highway and over all after 32,000 miles city and highway is 28+) is great. Interior comfort could be better in the way of softer seats. Highway touring is smooth, quiet and comfortable. Overall, this is the nicest all around vehicle I've ever owned.

My Second 530i
By Frank A on 01/29/10 20:54 PM (PST)

2006 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This 2006 530i is my fourth BMW, and the best yet. The combination of performance, comfort and excellent fuel mileage is unmatched in other vehicles. Like many others, I had concerns about the iDrive, but it has proven relatively easy to use and get used to managing. Interior comfort and quiet is exceptional, and those who complain about the cup holders in the 2006 must not have owned a BMW from the early 2000's, or they would appreciate the engineer's efforts to improve them. I have only owned the vehicle a short time, but it is delivering 23+ mpg in primarily city commuting. Highway touring is smooth, quiet and comfortable. Overall, this is the nicest all around vehicle I've owned.

Fun to Drive
By Ironbird0 on 12/29/09 12:44 PM (PST)

2006 BMW 5 Series 530xi 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my 2006 530XI AWD Wagon used in August 2009. I love it, although I have had one issue regarding one of the ignition coils which broke on Christmas Eve morning. Luckily, my Greenwich CT dealer has been top-notch so far and took it in immediately and had me back on the road and home in time for the holiday. I just would like to see the Manufacturer use better coils in this car as I've heard this is a common issue for this car. Otherwise, this car is AWESOME! Acceleration is great once you are up to speed-but I find a little sluggish from 0-60 mph.

My last BMW
By Shelly on 12/18/09 07:24 AM (PST)

2006 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is the family's 5th BMW in 10yrs. I gave up a low miles 01 330i sport to upgrade. There was a reason why someone traded it in with only 35k miles on it. It shakes and shudders while idling, the Traction control goes berserk around corners, no pick up, drives like my grandmas Volvo S80 which was a fraction of the cost. The BMW svc ctr says it's a flaw in the engine that makes it shudder, BMWNA says no such flaw and now the svc ctr is angry that I called BMWNA and I can't get a diagnosis. This is insane for a car that initially sold for $45k with the prem & cold weather pkg. Never again. If I want a volvo sedan- I'll buy one.

550i
By BRokicki on 10/30/09 09:49 AM (PDT)

2006 BMW 5 Series 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

I purchased a CPO 06 550i 6 months ago with 46K miles. This car is amazing, it already has over 53K on it and there isn't one rattle, this car really has held up over the years. I drove a new 535i and could hardly tell the difference, so I decided to save $30K and buy it used. This car is such a joy to drive, it begs to be tossed around. Every seat is comfortable, and there is tons of cargo room. The only thing that bothers me is that I only average 9 mpg in the city driving normally, but much better than expected on the highway, about 25. You really need to watch the pot holes, I had to replace 2 tires at $500 a piece, don't get the sport package if you live in an area with bad roads!

Cracks in 18-inch wheels/run-flat tires
By ron2hoff on 07/14/09 21:59 PM (PDT)

2006 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

BWM refuses to acknowledge that their rims are defective and crack as a result of normal driving, especially their 18 inch rims when coupled with run-flat tires. We don't take speed bumps at 40 mph, run over curbs, or not slow for a potholes... events that might possibly crack a rim or break a tire. Yet BMWs excuse for not replacing 2 cracked rims was that the cracks must have been caused by the driver, not faulty rims/run-flat tire combination. In the past several years we have owned 3 BMWs... but this will be our last because of such a head-in-the-sand approach taken by BMW NA.

Best of the best
By GeorgeW on 06/30/09 18:02 PM (PDT)

2006 BMW 5 Series 530xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This car is truly the ultimate driving machine. Powerful, confident, amazing handling and comfortable. This car is just fun to drive in all conditions. The all wheel drive handles in all conditions. Car looks great, the leather seating is comfortable and the stereo sounds terrific. Acceleration is impressive also.

The best car ever
By stan on 05/17/09 16:59 PM (PDT)

2006 BMW 5 Series 530xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Great car! Mileage couldn't be better. This is the first BMW I have owned and I love it. Very fun to drive.