Used 2006 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Great car and great value (if purchased used)
By klrsmile

2006 BMW 5 Series 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

I purchased an '06 with 48k on it - a CPO car with some protection (and maintenance) remaining on the warranty. Sticker was $64k in 2006, and I was fortunate to purchase the car for under $22k from a BMW dealer in Houston. What can I say? The car has amazing performance and handling, with stock 18" rims and Yokahama run flats (odd, since there is a spare). Suspension is a bit stiff for an everyday driver, so says my wife, however, it allows the corners to be straightened out a bit when you get the nerve. Rear leg room is A+ and trunk space is huge. I-drive not too bad once used to it, but could have been made friendlier.

Favs from both male and female perspective: He: performance (0-60 in about 5 secs), handling, stereo crisp and clean with great highs and bass if that's your thing, trunk space is gracious, style and stance. Keyless entry (fob only needs to be in pocket to unlock and start). She: crash test ratings, rear seat room easily fits 3 adults, seat adjustments insure comfort for any passenger / driver type, interior noise at freeway speeds (very acceptable), value (as depreciated).

Exterior paint seems to be just average in terms of durability, would have expected a little more tolerance, interior cargo space minimal, center console won't hold more than one pair of sunglasses, a few pens and a cell phone, parking sensor delays when taking off (stays active for 15-30 seconds beyond need, disabling all other I-drive functions momentarily).

First...maybe last. Great to drive. Post-warranty fears...
By vengefultick

2006 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my 525i as a CPO with ~32,000 miles on it. By the second day I had an appointment to get the rotors replaced as they were warped. November '10 I had to have the radiator replaced as it developed a sizable whole. The transmission engages rather hard from near-stop or even a full stop at times. It occasionally shifts hard at speed. The dealership swears this is my driving style. I find it commical that I did not have this problem with a '99 Ford Escort, '98 Suzuki Sidekick, '98 Toyota Tacoma, '04 Mazda Protege5, or an '05 Chevy Silverado....but I do with the expensive BMW. The car is fun to drive, the stearing and handling are great.

Interior details. Handling.

Better storage & cup holders. Better iDrive (already in place now). Less chip-happy paint. Better build quality.

Great Wagon
By mycayenneturbo

2006 BMW 5 Series 530xi 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

We recently purchased a pre-owned 530xi Sports Wagon with 70k miles on it, oh what can we say, we love it! We just took it for a long trip(800 miles round trip) to visit our family and the road trip was a joy. It is very fun to drive & seats are on the firm side and supportive and it didn't give me lower back pain for driving for such long hours! The interior is very quiet(not as quiet as Lexus cars) and it rides very smoothly. We folded the back seats down and it created a great bed for our dogs and spacious cargo area for our luggage. My husband hated the idea of owning a station wagon but he likes this one, it is beautiful, probably one of the best looking station wagons available today.

Spacious cargo area, Adaptive xenon head lights, Good pickup at low RPM. Panorama glass roof. xDrive(we had to drive through a snow storm but no problem!), Great gas mileage(averaged 28.3mpg city/hwy combined for our trip!), Rarity of BMW 5 series wagon!(We see many X5s, and Audi Avant wagons but BMW wagons are rare here.) Beautiful exterior design.

Audio system is just mediocre not the best among luxury brands such as Mercedes, Lexus, etc... iDrive is cool but we would like climate controls, audio controls out on the dash for easier access. We also would like an improved navigation system.

Dissapointed
By pietraadm

2006 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my first BMW. I find it a good handling car, but with POOR RELIABILITY. I will sell it at 65,000 miles. The straw that broke the camel back is the need for a new transmission, after a new radiator,etc. I am just 15,000 mi over the warranty limit, and I see nothing but expenses ahead. So GOOD BY BMW for me.

Good Handling

Need more reliable com[ponents.

A great bimmer
By Jimmy

2006 BMW 5 Series 530xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I love my BMW so far! It's so fast and so smooth. Love the idrive. Drove it from Pittsburgh pa to Naples Fl. Not one problem. Was more of a pleasure to drive than a chore. I will keep my bimmer for a long long time.

Idrive, seats, ride, hid headlights, rings for parking lights, I love the whole thing!

Cup holders are in a weird spot. Already broke once, but that's because my daughter climbed over to the drivers side and hit it with her foot. Make them stronger. Unbelievable brake dust. I clean them and they look real nice, but two days later just from driving it with good weather they are dirt