Used 2006 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

BMW's Colossal Blunder
By Shifty

2006 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Great car, fun to drive... but impractical! The sports package comes with run flat tires and a donut. No room to put in full sized tire in the well. But I am better off than those with a 2006 or later 3 series who have no spare at all.. Get a flat wiith these babies and you can go 150 miles. You can put on the donut and go about the same distance. Get a flat tire over the weekend like I did and you are out of pocket for 2 days. Nobody, I repeat nobody stocks the odd ball tires. This is a MAJOR flaw in the BMW. Hear that Edmunds? BTW, the run flats are not repairable, so you are looking at over $300 a pop for a flat. Also they ride terribly and have 15,000 mile tread life.

bluetooth phone, more power from bigger 255 hp six

NORMAL tires and a full sized spare in the trunk like the 2003. The ultimate driving machine should be pictured with a tire strapped to the roof-like the Dakkar rally! Bring back the classic style. ANd, the forged wheel rims and not the cheaper cast ones!

Best BMW Yet!
By Dbarks

2006 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have had three BMWs including the heralded 1998 E39 528i. The 2006 530i is better in every way. Better ride, better handling, more room and much better seats. This car makes the E39 look old. This is the best car BMW has made yet.

idrive, bluetooth, seats

None

Best 5 Series yet
By DanB

2006 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have had three BMWs including the all time favorite E39 1998 528i. This is a better car in all regards. Big car feel, much more power and great features such as idrive and bluetooth. It makes the E39 look old. My 2006 E60 has been flawless. The ride is perfect. I read the reviews at other sites on other cars and you can tell that the true BMW lovers that couldn't get past the new look are desperately trying to console themselves. They wanted a 5 series BMW, didn't buy one and are going out of their way trying to justify it to themselves. This is the best car on the road. And, I get 23 MPG in city driving.

iDrive, interior and handling.

Side door armrests that tilt in too much.

Best ever
By v laprade

2006 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is the third Beamer I have owned and by far it is the best in all areas. The fuel economy is very acceptable for this size car, I just wished it did not need premium gas. The handling is very BMW and the acceleration for the 530 is excellent. I am having some difficulty adjusting the driver seat to a comfortable position. The front of the seat seems to be titlted too far back and presses on the underneath of my knee.I like the size of the trunk but wished the rear seat folded without having to buy it as an option. One thing about BMW is that there is nothing free if they can charge for it. The rear seat could use a little more leg room. I have no trouble with the I drive.

I enjoy the smooth shifting automatic and it is one of the things that keeps me coming back to this car. My favorit new option is the cruise control adjustment. With just the lifting of the lever you can drop 5 miles per hour/increase the same amount without resetting. Especially helpful in traffic.

Charging extra for BMW assist is upsetting when one has paid so much for the car. The company should do the same as they do for their maintenance and bake the cost in the price of the car. From a PR standpoint it would be better and give them something to shout about. A fold down rear seat needed.

A dream of a car
By Stephen

2006 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I initially looked at the new 3 series, but the 5 series is in a different class with much more space and elegance. The car feels so refined and performance is exceptional. It remains refined and composed no matter how you drive it. It corners like it is on rails and accelerates strongly. Brakes are powerful and progressive with great feed back. Steering is agile and sensitive with good feed back. Build quality throughout the car is excellent, interior materials have an exceptional look and feel. Interior controls are confined to those used most, others are accessed via the iDrive, which I found extremely easy to use.

The car has all the features I need and more, however the iDrive, rain sensing wipers, comfort access package and the ambient lighting are amongst my favorites.

The interior storage is limited and cup holders are a bit inadequate, these in my opinion are small details that do not in any way detract from the overall satisfaction of owning and driving this car.