Used 2006 BMW 5 Series 550i Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

still lovin it
By bmw125

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

i've owed this car for five years and im still loving it! It's a great car!

The solid drive, sharp handling, and the powerful v8

better transmission

Great car and great value (if purchased used)
By klrsmile

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

I purchased an '06 with 48k on it - a CPO car with some protection (and maintenance) remaining on the warranty. Sticker was $64k in 2006, and I was fortunate to purchase the car for under $22k from a BMW dealer in Houston. What can I say? The car has amazing performance and handling, with stock 18" rims and Yokahama run flats (odd, since there is a spare). Suspension is a bit stiff for an everyday driver, so says my wife, however, it allows the corners to be straightened out a bit when you get the nerve. Rear leg room is A+ and trunk space is huge. I-drive not too bad once used to it, but could have been made friendlier.

Favs from both male and female perspective: He: performance (0-60 in about 5 secs), handling, stereo crisp and clean with great highs and bass if that's your thing, trunk space is gracious, style and stance. Keyless entry (fob only needs to be in pocket to unlock and start). She: crash test ratings, rear seat room easily fits 3 adults, seat adjustments insure comfort for any passenger / driver type, interior noise at freeway speeds (very acceptable), value (as depreciated).

Exterior paint seems to be just average in terms of durability, would have expected a little more tolerance, interior cargo space minimal, center console won't hold more than one pair of sunglasses, a few pens and a cell phone, parking sensor delays when taking off (stays active for 15-30 seconds beyond need, disabling all other I-drive functions momentarily).

550i
By BRokicki

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

I purchased a CPO 06 550i 6 months ago with 46K miles. This car is amazing, it already has over 53K on it and there isn't one rattle, this car really has held up over the years. I drove a new 535i and could hardly tell the difference, so I decided to save $30K and buy it used. This car is such a joy to drive, it begs to be tossed around. Every seat is comfortable, and there is tons of cargo room. The only thing that bothers me is that I only average 9 mpg in the city driving normally, but much better than expected on the highway, about 25. You really need to watch the pot holes, I had to replace 2 tires at $500 a piece, don't get the sport package if you live in an area with bad roads!

brown leather, power, transmission, handeling, parking sensors, i-drive, heated steering wheel, auto wipers

xdrive available with the V8, better city mpg, rear fog light would be good to have in bad weather. This car is pretty close to perfect!

'06 550i sport
By bluebimmer

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

Love my Bimmer! The sport package is a must! Drives and handles very well. I heard things about the iDrive but realized that it is not complicated at all, I can even input on navi while driving, cup holders do not bother me either. Heads-up display is awesome, it even shows directions from navi. Very comfortable. Overall the car makes a statement!

Heads-up, navigation, satellite radio. Looks great!

GPS instead of DVD navigation

The good and the bad
By squadless

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

I've had this 550i for about a year, the car is awesome. Very fun to drive, turns heads (especially those people who rev up their engines in their G35 or the equivalent). Reliability - not so good. In 1 year I went through 5 tires and 2 cracked rims. Note I do live in New York City where the roads are NOT the best but before this I had a Lexus LS430 since 2001 and I only went through 1 tire so do the math.

SPEEEED! ACCELERATION! I-Drive! and the whole interior + exterior

Cupholders are awful. They're made to be broken at which point you crazy clue those bad boys back into place. Tires - RFT is the only plausible solution? Rims - why are they so weak on this years 5 series?