2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
still lovin it
By bmw125 on 07/09/12 19:09 PM (PDT)

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

i've owed this car for five years and im still loving it! It's a great car!

Great car and great value (if purchased used)
By klrsmile on 01/16/12 14:36 PM (PST)

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

I purchased an '06 with 48k on it - a CPO car with some protection (and maintenance) remaining on the warranty. Sticker was $64k in 2006, and I was fortunate to purchase the car for under $22k from a BMW dealer in Houston. What can I say? The car has amazing performance and handling, with stock 18" rims and Yokahama run flats (odd, since there is a spare). Suspension is a bit stiff for an everyday driver, so says my wife, however, it allows the corners to be straightened out a bit when you get the nerve. Rear leg room is A+ and trunk space is huge. I-drive not too bad once used to it, but could have been made friendlier.

550i
By BRokicki on 10/30/09 09:49 AM (PDT)

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

I purchased a CPO 06 550i 6 months ago with 46K miles. This car is amazing, it already has over 53K on it and there isn't one rattle, this car really has held up over the years. I drove a new 535i and could hardly tell the difference, so I decided to save $30K and buy it used. This car is such a joy to drive, it begs to be tossed around. Every seat is comfortable, and there is tons of cargo room. The only thing that bothers me is that I only average 9 mpg in the city driving normally, but much better than expected on the highway, about 25. You really need to watch the pot holes, I had to replace 2 tires at $500 a piece, don't get the sport package if you live in an area with bad roads!

'06 550i sport
By bluebimmer on 01/30/09 14:35 PM (PST)

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

Love my Bimmer! The sport package is a must! Drives and handles very well. I heard things about the iDrive but realized that it is not complicated at all, I can even input on navi while driving, cup holders do not bother me either. Heads-up display is awesome, it even shows directions from navi. Very comfortable. Overall the car makes a statement!

The good and the bad
By squadless on 09/29/08 22:28 PM (PDT)

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

I've had this 550i for about a year, the car is awesome. Very fun to drive, turns heads (especially those people who rev up their engines in their G35 or the equivalent). Reliability - not so good. In 1 year I went through 5 tires and 2 cracked rims. Note I do live in New York City where the roads are NOT the best but before this I had a Lexus LS430 since 2001 and I only went through 1 tire so do the math.

Loving It
By Phil on 05/20/08 17:50 PM (PDT)

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

Great car! Powerful, fast and fun, yet refined. I can sum up driving this car in one word: confidence! This is a car for persons who love to drive and to feel the car interact with the road (as opposed to being shielded from it). The iDrive is fine (even helpful) once you get the hang of it. Try it, you'll like it.

Worth the patience
By LiftThis on 07/03/07 16:06 PM (PDT)

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

Ya know how you never buy a 1.0 release of software. Consider that for a car. While the dealership was wonderful, and we would definitely buy a car from them again, it took several trips back and forth to the dealership to work out some of the bugs in the cars firmware. Once that was fixed, WOW! I love this car. It's faster, handles better than my 2001 Porche 911 cabrio, and is quite the sleeper. I have also driven a 2005 E55 Mercedes Benz AMG, and I will take my 550 any day. The handling and braking are superb. Most folks won't be disappointed in the acceleration either. After a few M3s and Porsches, as a car lover, I can tell you that I love this car.

Love my 550
By Jodi Wallace on 10/11/06 10:33 AM (PDT)

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

I have had this car close to a year. The only negatives: driver side window down is NOT aerodynamic, and wind is all over one's face. My phone is not picked up on the bluetooth (my phone is a brand new LG), and lastly, gas mileage is abysmal. However this car is fast as can be. 140 feels like 100. So get a good ticket attorney. I have had a lot of issues with the very very low front end on the sports package. The front bumper easily comes off bc it is so low and it catches on everything. Therefore, I park as if I drive a large SUV. This car is comfortable and very very fun to drive!

550i
By Scott on 07/12/06 07:57 AM (PDT)

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

Had the car 9 months now, and love it. Did have trouble with the VANOS system, and the car was at the dealer for 3 weeks early on. No problems now. Has great acceleration and handling even with out the sport suspension.

Best car Ever had
By KIKI LAW on 03/24/06 19:38 PM (PST)

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

We test drove so many cars of its class and I thought it will will stop when I drove the E500 MB. Guess what not even close. After I drove the 550i. I just couldn't see myself in any other car but a BMW 550i

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.