Used 2006 BMW 5 Series 530i Sedan Consumer Reviews - 55 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Prepare to cough up tons of coin.
By Vernon Sp

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

All in all it's a great car. The performance and ride when in tip top shape is unbeatable for the amount of miles it acquires. The problem is maintaining that tiptop status is unrelenting after 150k. Literally 5k a year in maintenance repairs at least. I'm to the point to where I'm used to riding with at least 1 or 2 alerts constantly telling me to fix something.

My 4th BMW and the best one!
By Olivier Gosse

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This 530i is well designed and the overall reliability is good. Beyond 150K miles, I started having some oil leaks but it's all fixable. Over 150K miles. the original radiator was replaced, a rear window actuator replaced around 60 Kmiles and the regular brakes were replaced front and back every 30 to 40K miles. Spark plugs replaced every 100K miles. DTML pump was replaced around 90K miles. The coolant tank was replaced around 120K miles but this car is solid and performs well month after month. The starter was replaced at 148K miles as well as a front wheel(crack in the metal). The microfilter needs a change every 30K miles and the trunk actuator had to be replaced at 165,000 Miles. It has 179K miles and it's still going strong! I religiously get an oil service every 7,500 miles + visual inspection. The external body still looks great but the car spends its nights in a covered garage. Total maintenance costs(incl. $3,800 100K warranty) = $18.425(incl. 4 sets of tires) up to date.

Great looking car with performance that matches
By Lawrence Katzenstein

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this car three years ago and I've generally been quite satisfied. It gets decent mileage overall and over 30mpg on the road. New passengers not aware of the brand will often ask what kind of car it is because it's so comfortable. Since the car has had very little wear its frequently confused with a newer car since the basic body design remained the same until 2010.
It does have some flaws. One of these is that the I-Drive computer occasionally doesn't boot at start up and leaves me without a radio until it does. The parking radar often takes a while to shut off after leaving a parking space. However in the basics like comfort and performance the car is great.
I did purchase an extended drive train warranty, but I've recently had a large number of systems fail in short order including the water pump, purge valve, and transmission pan and filter. There's also the standard German oil leak which is so minuscule that I've chosen not to fix it. My mechanic and I both think that this bad period will pass and that the car will remain reliable so I'm currently still positive about it. It's a great machine.

Addendum: On the positive side I've just been in an accident where I was broadsided by a driver who didn't try to stop. He must have been doing at least 65 in a 45 speed limit zone. The car lost a fender and deployed the side but not front airbags. I lost one fender and little else. I walked away without a scratch. Very impressive!

The only negative about this car and other BMWs is that some systems are unique so it's hard to find a mechanic who will work on one other than the dealer. Nevertheless, performance and now safety are excellent.

Fantastic Vehicle
By Don of Spring

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This 2006 530i is my first BMW, which I purchases Used with 5K miles. The combination of performance, comfort and excellent fuel mileage (32-38 highway and over all after 32,000 miles city and highway is 28+) is great. Interior comfort could be better in the way of softer seats. Highway touring is smooth, quiet and comfortable. Overall, this is the nicest all around vehicle I've ever owned.

Great Mileage, great looks and color (Olivan Green)

Center console should be bigger and the cup holders better located.

My Second 530i
By Frank A

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This 2006 530i is my fourth BMW, and the best yet. The combination of performance, comfort and excellent fuel mileage is unmatched in other vehicles. Like many others, I had concerns about the iDrive, but it has proven relatively easy to use and get used to managing. Interior comfort and quiet is exceptional, and those who complain about the cup holders in the 2006 must not have owned a BMW from the early 2000's, or they would appreciate the engineer's efforts to improve them. I have only owned the vehicle a short time, but it is delivering 23+ mpg in primarily city commuting. Highway touring is smooth, quiet and comfortable. Overall, this is the nicest all around vehicle I've owned.

The bluetooth system and dash display is terrific. The heated steering wheel and Comfort Access systems are extreme luxuries that are easy to get addicted to.

While the wheelbase on the 2006 is longer, it does not appear that any of the extra space went into rear seat leg room, which is lacking in a car of this size and price.