2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Fantastic Vehicle
By Don of Spring on 03/07/10 10:27 AM (PST)

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This 2006 530i is my first BMW, which I purchases Used with 5K miles. The combination of performance, comfort and excellent fuel mileage (32-38 highway and over all after 32,000 miles city and highway is 28+) is great. Interior comfort could be better in the way of softer seats. Highway touring is smooth, quiet and comfortable. Overall, this is the nicest all around vehicle I've ever owned.

My Second 530i
By Frank A on 01/29/10 20:54 PM (PST)

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This 2006 530i is my fourth BMW, and the best yet. The combination of performance, comfort and excellent fuel mileage is unmatched in other vehicles. Like many others, I had concerns about the iDrive, but it has proven relatively easy to use and get used to managing. Interior comfort and quiet is exceptional, and those who complain about the cup holders in the 2006 must not have owned a BMW from the early 2000's, or they would appreciate the engineer's efforts to improve them. I have only owned the vehicle a short time, but it is delivering 23+ mpg in primarily city commuting. Highway touring is smooth, quiet and comfortable. Overall, this is the nicest all around vehicle I've owned.

Cracks in 18-inch wheels/run-flat tires
By ron2hoff on 07/14/09 21:59 PM (PDT)

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

BWM refuses to acknowledge that their rims are defective and crack as a result of normal driving, especially their 18 inch rims when coupled with run-flat tires. We don't take speed bumps at 40 mph, run over curbs, or not slow for a potholes... events that might possibly crack a rim or break a tire. Yet BMW’s excuse for not replacing 2 cracked rims was that the cracks must have been caused by the driver, not faulty rims/run-flat tire combination. In the past several years we have owned 3 BMWs... but this will be our last because of such a head-in-the-sand approach taken by BMW NA.

The Ultimate Drivers Car
By KG on 04/29/09 16:38 PM (PDT)

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

BMW 5 series is the ultimate luxury car this side of $50K. Its ride and feel is sporty yet comfortable and smooth and quiet. I bought a CPO 530i which was 3 yrs used for $30K with only 25K miles on it and Premium pack, Navigation and Xenon lights but no Sport pack. The ride is smooth and refined for everyday commute and long journey yet very tight and balanced for the mountain curves and quick maneuvers. The 6 speed auto transmission is AWESOME and it feels like a Japanese V8 as per power delivery goes. The turning circle is awesome. The fuel economy is amazing as I get 25 mpg combines for my mostly highway commute and 20 local mostly city commute when my wife drives it.

Inconsistent Idle
By EratticIdle on 04/13/09 19:41 PM (PDT)

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

15 year BMW owner. This car/engine has an idle issue. If you are thinking of buying one observe how it idles after reaching temperature. As you stop, the car idle drops to normal. 2 seconds later it drops, shakes the car, returns to normal. Happens a lot. Been to dealer 6 times. Have driven other 2006 and 2007 530s and noted the SAME issue although some vehicles not quite as noticeable. Worried about long term viability of this car.

Sorry to have purchased this car
By LongTimeBMWOwner on 04/03/09 19:32 PM (PDT)

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Car is very nice except for a problematic idling issue. Been to the dealer over 6 times (lost count thereafter), talked with BMW of North America several times. No satisfaction even though the car is under warranty. If you are looking to own a BMW hope that you get a good one and not a lemon as I have. I have owned several BMWs over a 15 year period and feel completely let down by the situation. Two more observations: sound system is average, very average. Wind noise from the sunroof is annoying.

In a class by itself
By EngineerInMaryland on 03/21/09 13:53 PM (PDT)

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bought this car for my wife after we sold our X5. Boy was this a revelation. Driving off from the dealer lot, I could tell this was no ordinary car. The smoothest acceleration I've ever experienced. The bluetooth rocks. The Navigation is intuitive and the Gas mileage is off the charts (25mpg). This car combines comfort, performance and style excellently well. After 1 year, we've had no issues with the car, and are falling in love with it more every day.

CPO Vehicle
By Randy on 02/23/09 18:08 PM (PST)

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought a 2006 CPO and I have never been so impressed with an automobile, even if used. The quality of build, interior and exterior finish, ride, and great gas mileage (30 mpg highway) blows me away. The iDrive system is easy to use and relieves you of numerous buttons and knobs that would be needed to run the systems it controls. I have had other luxury or semi-luxury cars i.e. Lincoln, Mercedes, and a Toyota Avalon and none, I repeat none, deserve to be parked in the garage with the 530i. So many small touches add to this car such as small orange LEDs beaming streams of dim light on door handles, gear shift, side pockets, at night. I certainly will be a BMW man for years to come.

06 SMG Dream Ride
By GWF on 02/14/09 22:52 PM (PST)

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Purchased 06 CPO with 37k miles. After researching for 2yrs, finally purchased gray beauty. The balance and performance are amazing.Purchased the SMG model, it took a little getting used to, but is truly fun to drive. Many of the reviews about iDrive scared me, but after the initial set up, the iDrive is great. It makes driving easier. We have the Sirius Satellite and this makes long drives a pleasure for all.The ride? Amazing, with active steering and Sports package a great combination. The seats are great and it is truly a fun ride. Great value for a used car, make sure you have a car warranty and service warranty. Can be costly.

Great improvements!
By Jack on 02/01/09 14:11 PM (PST)

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I used to have a 95 525i and found it was getting to be time to upgrade, so I traded up to a 2006 530i with manual transmission and navigation. Wife really wanted the manual, great gas mileage (30 hwy) and the car can really go with 6-speed transmission. Interior is great, iDrive is easy, if you have patience. No need for Tokyo lights, great to have cleaner lines. Bigger room in back seat for 2-3 people and truck is nice in size. Very happy to have the car!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.