2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Big bucks German bad transmission cheap parts
By wilczewm on 11/23/12 11:12 AM (PST)

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bought new. Minor problems while under warrantee. Since then, replaced rear wheel bearing at 40K. Transmission slam from second to first like getting hit from behind. BMW engineers created a computer work around for this common problem but will not fix this default and you must pay dealer whether it works or not. Many people being talked into replacing transmission for $5k. Cheap dash components like cup holders and ashtray flimsy, had to replace both two times. For the price paid, quality is severely lacking. Would not recommend buying a used one. Local dealer repair shop is horrible. Had vehicle 9 days on two occasions without fixing. BMW regional tech changed battery 2hrs.

Still love it after 3 years of driving...
By bmwwilly on 07/28/12 06:41 AM (PDT)

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Drove Nissan products for 20 years... CVT transmission is a joke!!! Decided to test drive my 5 and fell in love... yes, service / parts are not cheap, but buy a Kia if you cannot live with it... love it and would buy it again!!!

First...maybe last. Great to drive. Post-warranty fears...
By vengefultick on 04/26/11 09:39 AM (PDT)

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my 525i as a CPO with ~32,000 miles on it. By the second day I had an appointment to get the rotors replaced as they were warped. November '10 I had to have the radiator replaced as it developed a sizable whole. The transmission engages rather hard from near-stop or even a full stop at times. It occasionally shifts hard at speed. The dealership swears this is my driving style. I find it commical that I did not have this problem with a '99 Ford Escort, '98 Suzuki Sidekick, '98 Toyota Tacoma, '04 Mazda Protege5, or an '05 Chevy Silverado....but I do with the expensive BMW. The car is fun to drive, the stearing and handling are great.

Dissapointed
By pietraadm on 01/03/11 13:06 PM (PST)

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my first BMW. I find it a good handling car, but with POOR RELIABILITY. I will sell it at 65,000 miles. The straw that broke the camel back is the need for a new transmission, after a new radiator,etc. I am just 15,000 mi over the warranty limit, and I see nothing but expenses ahead. So GOOD BY BMW for me.

My last BMW
By Shelly on 12/18/09 07:24 AM (PST)

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is the family's 5th BMW in 10yrs. I gave up a low miles 01 330i sport to upgrade. There was a reason why someone traded it in with only 35k miles on it. It shakes and shudders while idling, the Traction control goes berserk around corners, no pick up, drives like my grandmas Volvo S80 which was a fraction of the cost. The BMW svc ctr says it's a flaw in the engine that makes it shudder, BMWNA says no such flaw and now the svc ctr is angry that I called BMWNA and I can't get a diagnosis. This is insane for a car that initially sold for $45k with the prem & cold weather pkg. Never again. If I want a volvo sedan- I'll buy one.

Amazing
By EricJohn on 05/05/09 08:24 AM (PDT)

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Wow... I had wanted a BMW for years, and finally pulled the trigger on a 525i CPO. I didn't see the need for the 530, as I believe the 215 HP on the 525 was enough. Amazing handling, feel, and I love the iDrive. I understand the griping, but all it takes is a few minutes of studying, and I love it.

Dissapointing 524i
By Ben Bimmer on 07/02/08 19:57 PM (PDT)

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This car first and foremost is weak. It is a big car with no wow factor. Do not purchase premium package because you'll get bored quickly. There is no exhilaration factor, nothing that stands out except good steering. The weird curves on this car make it somewhat confusing when backing up as it is very bloated. Electronic throttle makes the car seem not connected with the driver, there seems to be a delay. The looks are not impressive, I thought this was a car and not a spaceship. This car is a huge disappointment as I have compared it to my brothers 2001 BMW 525i which looks better and somehow feels more reliable and nicer to drive, has some more oomph to it. Do not be fooled.

Absolutely Perfect!
By femmedrive on 04/03/08 20:38 PM (PDT)

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Love this car more than any other. Purchased sports package, winter package and upgraded further to 19" special order BMW rims w/new michelins (handles even better than with stock), had dealer tint windows (hot in NC during summer). Handling is perfect. Also negotiated for iPod hook up which is now a necessity. iDrive & bluetooth easy to use if you spend a few minutes with it. Less buttons on dash is good - hate a cluttered console. Haven't had a single problem with anything. This car is absolutely gorgeous. I can't count the number of compliments I get on it and mostly from men who are surprised it's driven by a woman :-)

A whole different level
By Jim W. on 10/16/06 22:08 PM (PDT)

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This car is a real pleasure to drive. Dead quiet without a bit of mush. The 525i won't throw your head back into the powered headrest but it does get you onto the interstate just fine. Once there you can cruise at 70mph/2400rpm and watch your mpg gauge hover above the 30mpg mark. I often find myself seeking out corners to carve. If I was forced to complain... it takes a little bit more time to zip between radio bands and stations or ejecting and inserting CDs. IDrive would be rough on the techno challenged among us. I'm not used to a car without a dipstick either. Don't let any of this stop you from experiencing the craftsmanship and engineering excellence of this car. Even if it's a test drive

05 325 upgragde
By Autobahner4 on 04/26/06 09:53 AM (PDT)

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bought this for my wife to replace her 05 325i. Wow, what a great decision. This car is the most fun we've had in yaers. Both of us can't find much excitement in autos from past industry work. This car has awakened the romance of vehicle ownership!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.