Used 2006 BMW 5 Series 525i Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Big bucks German bad transmission cheap parts
By wilczewm

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bought new. Minor problems while under warrantee. Since then, replaced rear wheel bearing at 40K. Transmission slam from second to first like getting hit from behind. BMW engineers created a computer work around for this common problem but will not fix this default and you must pay dealer whether it works or not. Many people being talked into replacing transmission for $5k. Cheap dash components like cup holders and ashtray flimsy, had to replace both two times. For the price paid, quality is severely lacking. Would not recommend buying a used one. Local dealer repair shop is horrible. Had vehicle 9 days on two occasions without fixing. BMW regional tech changed battery 2hrs.

Fanstatic breaking. It stops faster than any car I have ever driven, and it does it without noise or swerving. Milage was about what was stated. Turning xenon headlights really help in night driving.

When company finds a common defect warranting their engineers to program a solution for the transmission problem, they should make it avaliable to owners free, demonstrating their standing behind their vehicle performance. The ZF transmission used in this model is a considerably poor quality part. Local dealer service techs are horrible and only 1 dealer in town. The company should provide alternatives for owners in this position. Some interior components also cheaply made or designed, cup holders and cigarette/power plug the worst.

Still love it after 3 years of driving...
By bmwwilly

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Drove Nissan products for 20 years... CVT transmission is a joke!!! Decided to test drive my 5 and fell in love... yes, service / parts are not cheap, but buy a Kia if you cannot live with it... love it and would buy it again!!!

Smoth as silk and quiet, yet you feel connected to the road... love traction control and the steering...

Cap holders.... hm... shell I say more???? Idrive... great idea, if you have time to read the manual, I don't....

First...maybe last. Great to drive. Post-warranty fears...
By vengefultick

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my 525i as a CPO with ~32,000 miles on it. By the second day I had an appointment to get the rotors replaced as they were warped. November '10 I had to have the radiator replaced as it developed a sizable whole. The transmission engages rather hard from near-stop or even a full stop at times. It occasionally shifts hard at speed. The dealership swears this is my driving style. I find it commical that I did not have this problem with a '99 Ford Escort, '98 Suzuki Sidekick, '98 Toyota Tacoma, '04 Mazda Protege5, or an '05 Chevy Silverado....but I do with the expensive BMW. The car is fun to drive, the stearing and handling are great.

Interior details. Handling.

Better storage & cup holders. Better iDrive (already in place now). Less chip-happy paint. Better build quality.

Dissapointed
By pietraadm

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my first BMW. I find it a good handling car, but with POOR RELIABILITY. I will sell it at 65,000 miles. The straw that broke the camel back is the need for a new transmission, after a new radiator,etc. I am just 15,000 mi over the warranty limit, and I see nothing but expenses ahead. So GOOD BY BMW for me.

Good Handling

Need more reliable com[ponents.

My last BMW
By Shelly

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is the family's 5th BMW in 10yrs. I gave up a low miles 01 330i sport to upgrade. There was a reason why someone traded it in with only 35k miles on it. It shakes and shudders while idling, the Traction control goes berserk around corners, no pick up, drives like my grandmas Volvo S80 which was a fraction of the cost. The BMW svc ctr says it's a flaw in the engine that makes it shudder, BMWNA says no such flaw and now the svc ctr is angry that I called BMWNA and I can't get a diagnosis. This is insane for a car that initially sold for $45k with the prem & cold weather pkg. Never again. If I want a volvo sedan- I'll buy one.

The interior is very comfortable -like a sedan- not the ultimate driving machine which my 2001 BMW 330i Sport was.

Ditch the safe body style, safe features and go back to the Ultimate driving machine that we all expect in a BMW.