2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Nice Luxury Car (:
By carguru12 on 02/20/13 13:40 PM (PST)

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

We purchased our 525xi secondhand at a BMW dealership and it was certified used. The interior comfort is great, and road noise is minimal. The only thing I don't like about our 5 Series is the iDrive system. It can't be avoided (option up a standard radio like in the 3 Series), and it has radio presets, but there are no preset buttons (you have to use iDrive to get to them). The car also has an annoying "grab" in the transmission, a software issue. The performance is great. I love this car.

Big bucks German bad transmission cheap parts
By wilczewm on 11/23/12 11:12 AM (PST)

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bought new. Minor problems while under warrantee. Since then, replaced rear wheel bearing at 40K. Transmission slam from second to first like getting hit from behind. BMW engineers created a computer work around for this common problem but will not fix this default and you must pay dealer whether it works or not. Many people being talked into replacing transmission for $5k. Cheap dash components like cup holders and ashtray flimsy, had to replace both two times. For the price paid, quality is severely lacking. Would not recommend buying a used one. Local dealer repair shop is horrible. Had vehicle 9 days on two occasions without fixing. BMW regional tech changed battery 2hrs.

Still love it after 3 years of driving...
By bmwwilly on 07/28/12 06:41 AM (PDT)

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Drove Nissan products for 20 years... CVT transmission is a joke!!! Decided to test drive my 5 and fell in love... yes, service / parts are not cheap, but buy a Kia if you cannot live with it... love it and would buy it again!!!

still lovin it
By bmw125 on 07/09/12 19:09 PM (PDT)

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

i've owed this car for five years and im still loving it! It's a great car!

Great car and great value (if purchased used)
By klrsmile on 01/16/12 14:36 PM (PST)

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

I purchased an '06 with 48k on it - a CPO car with some protection (and maintenance) remaining on the warranty. Sticker was $64k in 2006, and I was fortunate to purchase the car for under $22k from a BMW dealer in Houston. What can I say? The car has amazing performance and handling, with stock 18" rims and Yokahama run flats (odd, since there is a spare). Suspension is a bit stiff for an everyday driver, so says my wife, however, it allows the corners to be straightened out a bit when you get the nerve. Rear leg room is A+ and trunk space is huge. I-drive not too bad once used to it, but could have been made friendlier.

First...maybe last. Great to drive. Post-warranty fears...
By vengefultick on 04/26/11 09:39 AM (PDT)

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my 525i as a CPO with ~32,000 miles on it. By the second day I had an appointment to get the rotors replaced as they were warped. November '10 I had to have the radiator replaced as it developed a sizable whole. The transmission engages rather hard from near-stop or even a full stop at times. It occasionally shifts hard at speed. The dealership swears this is my driving style. I find it commical that I did not have this problem with a '99 Ford Escort, '98 Suzuki Sidekick, '98 Toyota Tacoma, '04 Mazda Protege5, or an '05 Chevy Silverado....but I do with the expensive BMW. The car is fun to drive, the stearing and handling are great.

Dissapointed
By pietraadm on 01/03/11 13:06 PM (PST)

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my first BMW. I find it a good handling car, but with POOR RELIABILITY. I will sell it at 65,000 miles. The straw that broke the camel back is the need for a new transmission, after a new radiator,etc. I am just 15,000 mi over the warranty limit, and I see nothing but expenses ahead. So GOOD BY BMW for me.

A great bimmer
By Jimmy on 08/03/10 16:43 PM (PDT)

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I love my BMW so far! It's so fast and so smooth. Love the idrive. Drove it from Pittsburgh pa to Naples Fl. Not one problem. Was more of a pleasure to drive than a chore. I will keep my bimmer for a long long time.

Fantastic Vehicle
By Don of Spring on 03/07/10 10:27 AM (PST)

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This 2006 530i is my first BMW, which I purchases Used with 5K miles. The combination of performance, comfort and excellent fuel mileage (32-38 highway and over all after 32,000 miles city and highway is 28+) is great. Interior comfort could be better in the way of softer seats. Highway touring is smooth, quiet and comfortable. Overall, this is the nicest all around vehicle I've ever owned.

My Second 530i
By Frank A on 01/29/10 20:54 PM (PST)

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This 2006 530i is my fourth BMW, and the best yet. The combination of performance, comfort and excellent fuel mileage is unmatched in other vehicles. Like many others, I had concerns about the iDrive, but it has proven relatively easy to use and get used to managing. Interior comfort and quiet is exceptional, and those who complain about the cup holders in the 2006 must not have owned a BMW from the early 2000's, or they would appreciate the engineer's efforts to improve them. I have only owned the vehicle a short time, but it is delivering 23+ mpg in primarily city commuting. Highway touring is smooth, quiet and comfortable. Overall, this is the nicest all around vehicle I've owned.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.