Used 2006 BMW 5 Series 525xi Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Nice Luxury Car (:
By carguru12

2006 BMW 5 Series 525xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

We purchased our 525xi secondhand at a BMW dealership and it was certified used. The interior comfort is great, and road noise is minimal. The only thing I don't like about our 5 Series is the iDrive system. It can't be avoided (option up a standard radio like in the 3 Series), and it has radio presets, but there are no preset buttons (you have to use iDrive to get to them). The car also has an annoying "grab" in the transmission, a software issue. The performance is great. I love this car.

Favorite Features

Comfort, Technology, Performance

Suggested Improvements

Annoying "grab" in transmission, iDrive could use improvements (specifically, the preset buttons aren't there)

Thats the Radio for 50K
By Andy

2006 BMW 5 Series 525xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

The car is one of the most sure footed cars I have ever driven. I have two concerns - first there is a rattle in the back deck that the dealer fixed for a few day - it will be going back and second is the radio. I can't believe the tinny distorted sound I get from the radio. I brought it back to the deal and was told it was working as designed and I can't upgrade it. Looks like aftermarked to fix it. Listen well to the radio before you buy.

Favorite Features

The ride, the lighting package and the heated seats.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the radio - please!!!

Wish I had More.
By bmhamlet

2006 BMW 5 Series 525xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Overall a great car. Smooth ride, quiet and comfortable. The engine in the 525 seems underpowered for the vehicle size which causes the transmission to shift strangely in gears 1 and 2. Very little road noise, great handling and gas mileage. Contrary to many comments the iDrive is not that difficult to learn.

Favorite Features

Exterior styling. Mileage.

Suggested Improvements

More engine horsepower. The 06 525 has 225 horses but still not enough for the cost. 300 hp should be a minimum. Go for the 550 if you can afford it. If not, the 530 gives better performance. Driver and passenger drink holders are a joke.

The most fun on the road
By deb

2006 BMW 5 Series 525xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This car handles so easily and it has a safe and sturdy feel on the road. Plenty of power for on and off the highway. The iDrive isn't as difficult to operate as some have claimed. Just take some time to learn it; pick your settings; that's it. The heated steering wheel is a real luxury. Interior appointments very nice.

Suggested Improvements

After driving on wet roads the trim at the bottom of the door frame is filled with water/mud/etc. It gets my pant legs dirty as I exit the car. Also, at this price point, I think all BMWs should have automatic trunk lid closures.

Little Awesome
By RegalReggie

2006 BMW 5 Series 525xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I owned a 2003 525i and thought it was perfect. Then I got my 2006 525xi and fell in love all over again. What a car. I thought it was impossible to improve on perfection but I was wrong. This car is roomier and has a much bigger trunk. I was concerned that the all wheel drive would really suck up the gas but so far I am getting 20 to 25 miles to the gallon and I can live with that to drive this awesome car. The handling of the all wheel drive is so terrific that when I drove a 2005 525i this past week, I felt a little out of control. I know it was my imagination but that is the assurance level I have in my car.

Favorite Features

The body style is very sleek and yet it looks like a real muscle car - love the look. I like having all the vitals on the dash in front of me and they finally installed a drink cup holder that is really functional.

Suggested Improvements

Make the seatbelt a little easier to reach.