2006 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Nice Luxury Car (:
By carguru12 on 02/20/13 13:40 PM (PST)

2006 BMW 5 Series 525xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

We purchased our 525xi secondhand at a BMW dealership and it was certified used. The interior comfort is great, and road noise is minimal. The only thing I don't like about our 5 Series is the iDrive system. It can't be avoided (option up a standard radio like in the 3 Series), and it has radio presets, but there are no preset buttons (you have to use iDrive to get to them). The car also has an annoying "grab" in the transmission, a software issue. The performance is great. I love this car.

Big bucks German bad transmission cheap parts
By wilczewm on 11/23/12 11:12 AM (PST)

2006 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bought new. Minor problems while under warrantee. Since then, replaced rear wheel bearing at 40K. Transmission slam from second to first like getting hit from behind. BMW engineers created a computer work around for this common problem but will not fix this default and you must pay dealer whether it works or not. Many people being talked into replacing transmission for $5k. Cheap dash components like cup holders and ashtray flimsy, had to replace both two times. For the price paid, quality is severely lacking. Would not recommend buying a used one. Local dealer repair shop is horrible. Had vehicle 9 days on two occasions without fixing. BMW regional tech changed battery 2hrs.

Still love it after 3 years of driving...
By bmwwilly on 07/28/12 06:41 AM (PDT)

2006 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Drove Nissan products for 20 years... CVT transmission is a joke!!! Decided to test drive my 5 and fell in love... yes, service / parts are not cheap, but buy a Kia if you cannot live with it... love it and would buy it again!!!

still lovin it
By bmw125 on 07/09/12 19:09 PM (PDT)

2006 BMW 5 Series 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

i've owed this car for five years and im still loving it! It's a great car!

a little pain for lots of fun gain
By bummer530 on 04/08/12 09:32 AM (PDT)

2006 BMW 5 Series 530xi 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

In the market for a car in 2009 and for the price of a boring Accord V6 ($39k in Canada) I got a 530xiT CPO with 60,000 km on it. Had to deal with electronic glitches here and there (tire sensors, oil level sensors, etc) and the transmission is somehow brutal when accelerating from a red light. Also experience problems at idle, irregular rpms..but all covered by CPO warranty. Driving is a blast: I put 40,000 km on it annually and wouldn't want to drive any other car @$700/month. If I could afford a '12 MB E350 4matic station, I could consider a trade but even if I need to rebuild the tranny, it will still be cheaper and more fun to drive my 530xit into the ground. 170k km heading for 400k

Great car and great value (if purchased used)
By klrsmile on 01/16/12 14:36 PM (PST)

2006 BMW 5 Series 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

I purchased an '06 with 48k on it - a CPO car with some protection (and maintenance) remaining on the warranty. Sticker was $64k in 2006, and I was fortunate to purchase the car for under $22k from a BMW dealer in Houston. What can I say? The car has amazing performance and handling, with stock 18" rims and Yokahama run flats (odd, since there is a spare). Suspension is a bit stiff for an everyday driver, so says my wife, however, it allows the corners to be straightened out a bit when you get the nerve. Rear leg room is A+ and trunk space is huge. I-drive not too bad once used to it, but could have been made friendlier.

First...maybe last. Great to drive. Post-warranty fears...
By vengefultick on 04/26/11 09:39 AM (PDT)

2006 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my 525i as a CPO with ~32,000 miles on it. By the second day I had an appointment to get the rotors replaced as they were warped. November '10 I had to have the radiator replaced as it developed a sizable whole. The transmission engages rather hard from near-stop or even a full stop at times. It occasionally shifts hard at speed. The dealership swears this is my driving style. I find it commical that I did not have this problem with a '99 Ford Escort, '98 Suzuki Sidekick, '98 Toyota Tacoma, '04 Mazda Protege5, or an '05 Chevy Silverado....but I do with the expensive BMW. The car is fun to drive, the stearing and handling are great.

Great Wagon
By mycayenneturbo on 01/31/11 12:27 PM (PST)

2006 BMW 5 Series 530xi 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

We recently purchased a pre-owned 530xi Sports Wagon with 70k miles on it, oh what can we say, we love it! We just took it for a long trip(800 miles round trip) to visit our family and the road trip was a joy. It is very fun to drive & seats are on the firm side and supportive and it didn't give me lower back pain for driving for such long hours! The interior is very quiet(not as quiet as Lexus cars) and it rides very smoothly. We folded the back seats down and it created a great bed for our dogs and spacious cargo area for our luggage. My husband hated the idea of owning a station wagon but he likes this one, it is beautiful, probably one of the best looking station wagons available today.

Dissapointed
By pietraadm on 01/03/11 13:06 PM (PST)

2006 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my first BMW. I find it a good handling car, but with POOR RELIABILITY. I will sell it at 65,000 miles. The straw that broke the camel back is the need for a new transmission, after a new radiator,etc. I am just 15,000 mi over the warranty limit, and I see nothing but expenses ahead. So GOOD BY BMW for me.

A great bimmer
By Jimmy on 08/03/10 16:43 PM (PDT)

2006 BMW 5 Series 530xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I love my BMW so far! It's so fast and so smooth. Love the idrive. Drove it from Pittsburgh pa to Naples Fl. Not one problem. Was more of a pleasure to drive than a chore. I will keep my bimmer for a long long time.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.