2005 BMW 5 Series Consumer Review: Passes Anything INCLUDING gas

2005 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Review

2005 BMW 5 Series

545i Sedan (4.4L V8 6-speed Manual)

Passes Anything INCLUDING gas stations
By Chief Black Bimmer on

2005 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

When I was a kid, I had a 1968 Pontiac GTO, which could pass just about anything but a gas station. My new BMW 545 will pass that Goat, and gas stations, too (I get 18-19 mpg in town, 26-28 on the interstates). In fact, largely due to its wonderful 6- speed Steptronic transmission, it actually gets better gas mileage than my other Bimmer, a 2004 330 coupe with 5-speed auto. The much-reviled iDrive is easy to master if you take the time to study the owner's manual. I have little sympathy for the whiners who invest $50K+ on a terrific vehicle, but not several hours to read the manual. IDrive will be your friend if you let it. Ride and Handling - outstanding, as expected.

Fast, comfortable (standard seats), great handling. Much better-than- expected fuel economy. Bluetooth keeps me legal in NJ and NY. Navigation system pleasant surprise.

More interior storage space (a biggie). Flimsy cup holders in front. Turn signals not intuitive, as in my 3-series. Logic 7 has outstanding sound, but is overpriced at $1800.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review