2005 BMW 5 Series 4.4L V8 6-speed Manual Consumer Review - Growing on me

2005 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Review

545i Sedan (4.4L V8 6-speed Manual)

Growing on me
By Mac M on

2005 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

The dominant item of this car is the V-8 engine. It is nothing but superlatives: extremely powerful, very fuel efficient, wonderful sounding, impossible to operate smoothly in stop and go traffic, incredibly complicated (I hope valvetronic is reliable). The car itself is very modern. Most of it is made of aluminum. The interior (standard seats) is comfortable, though storage space is limited. Brakes, transmission, electronics such as Logic 7 radio and nav are first rate. The latter, of course, is already outdated by today's hard drive systems, but the basic car still remains leading edge. I cannot overemphasize how good the engine is. Don't even consider the 6 cylinder.

Favorite Features

The engine. It even burns regular gas with no complaint! The numerous details of the Bangle styling. It grows on you. Now everyone else is copying it.

Suggested Improvements

The sunroof is very noisy when closed if maladjusted off center by as little as a credit card thickness. Needs better seals, I guess. The transmission/engine software needs to be tweaked to allow smoother operation during the 10 feet before a stop/after a start. Very, very jerky now.