Buyer Beware!!
By musicman9 on
2005 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)
I had 3 cars sitting in my garage, one was a BMW 545i (2005) one is a GMC Envoy (2002) and the other is a Toyota Tacoma Truck (1996) The BMW continued to leak oil all over the garage until I finally sold it. The Envoy and the Tacoma have about 200,000 miles each and I doubt that I have even spent $500 combined on the 2 of these cars since I have owned them. The BMW has been nothing but problems with every maintenance bill being at least $1,000. Just a battery alone for the car is almost $500! The car was the best driving car I have ever owned but reliability was the worst of any of the 20 cars I have owned since I first started driving. I traded it recently for a Toyota!
By pyite
on 09/19/14 13:40 PM (PDT)

Sorry you had such bad luck with your BMW :( FWIW I have owned several out of warranty BMW's and you definitely have to be careful. My general rules are: 1) Research the models and options to know where the risks are. For example, I would much rather have an E39 than an E60. I am still not conviced that getting one with iDrive is a good idea either. 2) Stay away from the first couple years of a new model or new engine!!! Often it takes a couple years for BMW to work out the bugs (see the original M50B25 24 valve 2.5L engine as just one example). 3) Find a good independent mechanic -- the stealerships typically focus on warranty service so they will tend to over-charge for out-of-warranty problems. 4) Perhaps the single most important thing for a used BMW shopper is to find a car that has been taken care of well, and get a good pre-inspection check from a mechanic who knows old BMW's intimately. And avoid at all costs buying a used one from a dealer -- always buy from an independent seller. For example, many owners neglect the suspension parts until one day they find out that they need shocks and a bunch of bushings done at the same time -- so they trade it in. Unless the dealer is one of the few honest used car dealers out there, the next buyer will get stuck with a car that needs lots of repairs. E.g. I looked at an E39 M5 that looked great and drove well but the pre-inspection check showed that it needed a clutch, shocks, and bushings to the tune of $10,000 (and a BMW dealer would have charged much more than this). So the bottom line is that used BMW's can be a great bargain but only if you spend a lot of time doing your homework (and your time is worth $0 :) ).