Used 2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Problematic 545
By mark levi

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

The 545 is a beautiful car with speed and handling performance that is exceptional. However, the iDrive is very difficult to navigate and we had problems with error messages on our screen from the beginning. There was always at least one and sometimes as many as 3 warning displays. The dealer was never able to fix them and didn't respond to our continued complaints. We finally turned it in about 24 months into a 36 month lease.

Favorite Features

The 545 is a very fast and great handling car. It looks sharp and overall it is very fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the iDrive and all of the fancy electronics. They are so convoluted and difficult to use that it is a chore to adjust even the AC when driving.

Best car I've ever had!!
By dan

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

I have had just about every make of automobile (cadillac, jaguar, porsche, s2000 and trucks), and this 5 series is the overall best car I've ever had. The only problem is the 6 cylinder is a little underpowered. But that is what I bought. Am looking to order a new 8 cylinder, and take delivery in Germany.

Favorite Features

Quality and style. Heated seats and steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

none

My First was the Best
By thewonger

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

My 1st BMW was 1998 5-series that I regret not keeping. I'm on my 3rd 5- series and seriously considering another brand. The gas tank has been replaced, passenger side window motor replaced, the trunk opened randomly (finally figured out it was a faulty switch), alarm went off in my garage and it wasn't even armed (from what I've read, this was likely due to low battery drain), rt-rear passenger didn't always lock during drive-away, and passenger-side airbag sensor replaced. I like driving the car and the looks are great, but to have a $50k+ car in the shop so many times in 2 years is too much.

Favorite Features

Great looks, fun to drive, rotating headlights are kick and stereo system is decent.

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders aren't the best.

545i w/sport suspension 2 yr impressions
By Bruce S

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

Excellent handling, one of the best cornering cars ever with the active roll stabilizers. The car is safe, smooth and fast, however, the electronic throttle seems to make the acceleration feel a little less tight. The sport suspension gives a little too much clunk for my preference, but if cornering is your priority, the harsher ride can be overlooked. Quality of construction is excellent and solid. I feel the dash could be better looking. Overall, if you're looking for performance, this car has to be considered.

Senior Bimmerman
By Ed A

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

This is my 3rd BMW and it is the smoothest, quietest, best performing of all. It has the driving performance and still has creature comforts. I tried an Infiniti G for a year, but had to get back to a car that had superior driving characteristics and a strong feel and smooth ride.

Favorite Features

The V8 is smooth and has power at all RPM with six speed automatic. The Sport mode of six speed is very good. The interior is simple, elegant, and comfortable. Bluetooth phone support is very good.

Suggested Improvements

After a few days of getting used to it I think the iDrive is a real plus but I would like to see it boot up quicker and respond a little quicker to selections.