2005 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Fun with style and quility
By alvaro correa on 05/11/05 12:30 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Handling, reliability are excellent. The iDrive is very easy to use.

Great Car
By Marc on 05/09/05 21:30 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

Fun, extremely fast, and sticks to road as if it's on rails. I love driving this every day. I recommend it to anyone who loves to drive. I had the K40 installed also.

Happy all around
By Hans on 04/21/05 23:30 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

Given that I choose the lowest HP engine, I am impressed how well it still performs, especially on the highway. I don't miss one Hp. I took it for a 1500 mile roadtrip and had the most delightful drive I have ever had. I have owned over 50 cars - so far the only section any other car performed better was in acceleration because I had cars with big engines as well.

BMW545i
By 545i on 04/20/05 18:04 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

I love everything about the car but the iDrive control. Gas mileage is far less than stated on the sticker.

Is it a Lemon?
By 1stBMWLastBMW? on 04/20/05 09:20 AM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

Took ownership end of Feb. Less than 12 hours later the car said I had a flat. Had to wait 1/2 day to diagnose myself and reset. A week later the computer reboots while doing the voice commands. A week or two after that Navigation tells me I'm driving in the ocean. Took it in and a week later it's fixed but after the s/w upgrade the computer rebooted twice (after it went to sleep a 2 days). Locking the car doesn't blink the lights nor chimes (intermitent). Going up the hill, it feels like it wants to stall (but doesn't). And now the latest: Steering wheel is pointing right. I feel like I'm driving a very expensive, very poorly designed car. Current mileage (1700)

2005 BMW 5 - Never Better
By GJ on 04/09/05 22:39 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

My 3rd new BMW. Almost didn't buy due to Consumer Reports ratings and negatives about iDrive.Tried comparable Mercedes and Lexus but they don't compare. Glad I stuck with the BMW. Traveling 60 miles daily on Pkwy and Tnpk, the ride is smooth, totally insulated, comfortable (cabin's larger) and responsive, like it understands. Driver's in control. No matter how long you drive it, it will continue to make you shake your head and smile. It out-manuevers any vehicle.Trust me.And iDrive took nothing to work. It's a computer with lots of options and visuals a traditional dash board display would be hard to accomodate. Conflicted? Drive one yourself. Don't rely only on ratings.

fun to drive
By marc on 04/09/05 10:26 AM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

Love the car. Just picked it up last week. Fun, very fast, and with the sport package it is on rails driving. I have pushed the car and have yet to hear the tires even start to slide or squeal. The only thing I don't like is that the beverage holders stink.

545: Drive it, buy it.
By Salberts on 04/08/05 17:08 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

I did. I was bored. It was rainy. I had the kids. I decided to test drive the new 5. Since I owned (and loved) a 530i (2002), I had no intention of buying the new model. Long story short, I test drove a 545, and I was sold. Not only is power, cornering, and ride vastly superior to the prior 5, the interior and trunk is larger, and the interior is better laid out. After a few minutes of minor haggling, the papers were signed and I was behind the wheel of a new silver grey 545i beauty. I drove it all weekend. Even the kids enjoyed it.

Couldn't be happier!!!
By BradS on 04/08/05 12:05 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

Glad I stepped up to the car I really wanted. Was sold on 530, with premium and cold weather package, but really liked the power of the 545. Traded in my '99 M3 Convertible, which was one of the most exciting cars I have owned, but now with the 545, I now have a rocket with more room and luxury. Considered the new M45, A6 4.2, and Lexus GS, but after driving all, you realize why BMW is the one they are all striving to be.

Can't get any better
By Anna on 04/02/05 14:10 PM (PST)

2005 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

The test drive sold me in 30 seconds. Doesn't hold a candle to the Lexus or the Benz. Handling of turns is most impressive and turns on a dime. Purrs like a kitten.... the sound system is great... the i-drive is a piece of cake. I would buy another one tomorrow.