Used 2005 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews - 143 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Rockin'
By Robert

2005 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is the perfect car. Handles awesome, the combination of power versus fuel economy is phenomenal and the quietness and comfortable ride are totally there. Not to mention badass looks! The car is gorgeous. I have the black with tan interior. Nothing on the road is as beautiful except maybe the Benz 500. This thing runs like mad when you want and smooth as can be when you want to lay back. Stable as can be under rough pavement and braking is first rate. My former car was a 3 series and I miss the razor sharp handling, but the 3 was a little "touchy". Not so with the 530i. I have the premium package, the regular sound system is ok with me and the seats are very comfortable.

Gorgeous looks, fabulous engine, fuel economy (30 mpg hway, 19 city), comfort and quietness, handling, power. SmOOOOOOOth and luxurious. Hard to fathom a better combination of lux, sport and efficiency, with solidity and feeling of safety.

Cup holders, interior storage, pricey.

Awesome Car!
By James

2005 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

This is one of the best cars I have ever had. I now have 36000 miles on mine, a 545i, and it is just as good, if not better, than when it was new. The build quality is impeccable and the performance beyond reproach.

This car is fast!! The six speed manual shifts flawlessly. The handling is awesome. Love the iDrive system.

The carpet looks cheap. Past that nothing.

Great to Drive, If it is not in the Shop
By Dave

2005 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

This is my second 5 series, the previous was a 540. The vehicle is pure pleasure to drive, acceleration, braking and handling are awesome! That said, it is the poorest quality vehicle I have ever had. 5 visits in 5 weeks in the shop for failing iDrive. I blame BMW service more than the vehicle, they would not replace the failing unit and kept reprogramming the computer. The iDrive itself is tedious and cumbersome, the nav system is worthless 50% of the time. I cannot count how many rattles and noises the vehicle possesses. Sunroof replaced, window gaskets squeaking, etc etc etc. BMW, the driver’s machine - when you get to drive it!

Acceleration, triptonic shifter, throwing the vehicle around.

Free service for 4 years is a great concept, if 1) the vehicle rarely needs it; and 2) the service center comleted the work the first time; and 3) they did not cheap out like not turning or replacing rotors on a brake job.

Love my 5 Series!
By ChristiRae

2005 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

Go buy yourself a 5-Series!! :) When I bought this car I thought "great - it looks nice, has free maintenance and oil changes, and it's sporty but big enough to actually take 3 or 4 people with me." What I did not realize is that it is super fuel efficient (I got 36.4 mpg on the drive to and from Vegas from SoCal in overdrive, honestly!), it's really comfortable, although it's only a 6cyl. this car gets up and goes (especially in Sport Mode). The only complaint I have is the cup holders! I know it's petty, but the driver's cup holder is way over on the passenger's side :(

Looks, comfort, gas mileage, fun to drive, love the iDrive, reliability.

The cup holders! It would be nice if the driver's cup holder was acutually on the driver's side of the car! I know I should be driving, not worrying about where my Chai Latte is, but it is a bit distracting trying to reach all the way over to the passenger side to grab my Starbucks cup!

Fantastic
By Miller

2005 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

I have owned this car for two and one half years and still love to drive it. The fuel economy is great for a V8 20 city and 26 hwy (actual). Handling is superb! I have sports package (highly recommended) which includes wide 18 inch wheels, which I highly recommend! Quality is top notch and fit is superior! If you can afford it, buy the 8 cylinder as there is nothing finer than a BMW 8 cylinder. Also the car retains more value as the 8 cylinder is in fewer numbers!

Handling, power, handling, fuel economy vs power, handling, quality fit, and handling!

The iDrive.