2005 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Passing on the curves
By geoffrey macpherson on 07/12/05 17:32 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

Once upon a time in a galaxy far far away, I owned an M6. I looked upon the 5 series with distain, a four door sedan for the family man. Not for a real life he-man who needed a vessel for all his testosterone. All that went out the window like so much cat hair on a windy day when I drove a 545 and fell in love. This car not only has more power than my 87 M6 but it's handling is actually better. so much for my distain of sedans. If there is any shortfall it's inside. I do miss the hand-stitched leather dash and the little non-functional soda cooler in the back. But that's more than made up for the ability to transport passengers who actually have legs. Bravo BMW, the 545 is a winner.

545 series rocks
By Bruce in Florida on 07/10/05 12:02 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

Having grown up in the fifties and sixties with muscle cars I really wanted another one but not some me too machine that had no class or handling. After driving everything out there from the Corvette to the Chrusler 300 I found the 545i with the sport package to be the best handling car I have ever driven. The progressive steering is awesome and stopping is as positive as is the neck snapping acceleration from the luxury type car. Once you get used to the screwy iDrive it's not as bad as it was in the earlier models and you get quite good at it. The Nav system isn't as intuitive or easy to use as the Lexus SC430 my wife has (which also boogies) but it's Okay. BMW has me two more years.

black beauty!
By dr smaha on 06/26/05 23:00 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

Can't wait to cross break-in period, this car is born to be driven hard. Exceptional handling, power to spare, gorgeous interior. What more can I say, except can't wait to drive the new m5. My jet black 545 truly gets better the faster and more demanding the driving gets, don't sell yourself short by going with the smaller 525/535. You will not be sorry with the sport-packaged v8. I've heard the iDrive was a paiN, but as a first time BMW buyer it is very easy to use. This car is why driving is so fun, I have no regrets at all, only tons of miles to enjoy. Ya-hoo!!

Passes Anything INCLUDING gas stations
By Chief Black Bimmer on 06/26/05 22:41 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

When I was a kid, I had a 1968 Pontiac GTO, which could pass just about anything but a gas station. My new BMW 545 will pass that Goat, and gas stations, too (I get 18-19 mpg in town, 26-28 on the interstates). In fact, largely due to its wonderful 6- speed Steptronic transmission, it actually gets better gas mileage than my other Bimmer, a 2004 330 coupe with 5-speed auto. The much-reviled iDrive is easy to master if you take the time to study the owner's manual. I have little sympathy for the whiners who invest $50K+ on a terrific vehicle, but not several hours to read the manual. IDrive will be your friend if you let it. Ride and Handling - outstanding, as expected.

Excellent Job
By Rich on 06/23/05 16:21 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

Ordered this 545i (still built in Germany) car and got it in 4 weeks. Excellent power and nice new interior with the Dakota Auburn Leather. Good solid fit and finish. Had an 02 540i and I like this one even more. Exterior styling they got mostly right, still looks determined and stout.

My BMW 545i Six Speed
By Tom Schmidt on 06/20/05 14:44 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

BMW gave the owners of the older E39 a reason to trade up. The newer E60 is so different in terms of improved handling and balance its hard to believe they came from the same company. I took possession of the car in Munich so I got to drive it on the Autobahn. Wow, what a thrill. When a car is designed to travel safely at 130 mph, it's even safer at 70 mph. It's so well thought out in every detail that it seems every design feature has it's own complex rationale. It is probably the the perfect car for me.

Patricia's Beemer
By Patricia Gonzalez on 06/16/05 13:52 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I had a 323i prior to this 2005 5 series. WOW! I am so happy I upgraded. It is classy, sporty & so much fun to drive. If you love the feel of a tight drive, you'll love this car. I'm a Beemer girl and always will be!

Back and better then before
By blue/dark brown inti on 06/12/05 21:21 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

I had the very first 2004 545i in NYC and it looked great but the computer was never working correctly and car was always in the shop. So my dealership worked with BMW and got me into an brand new M3 convertible leaving my 545i to BMW for further evaluation. Needless to say I loved my M3 but I needed a bigger car but did not want to lose the M3 drive so I returned my M3 and am back in a new 2005 545i and BMW fixed everything that was wrong with the 2004. The car is as fun to drive as my M3 but has the best sound system (Logic 7) great handling (sports pkg) and enough room for anything that life throws at you. The GPS/voice/bluetooth all work great GET A 545 TODAY- BEST 4dr on the road!

A step up
By Simon on 06/12/05 10:48 AM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

I traded in a 2003 525i to buy the 2005 545i. While it has taken me a little while to get used to the new styling, it has taken no time at all to get used to the sheer driving power and pleasure of the 545i. Über-responsive and just terrific fun to drive, I am very happy with my decision.

Love it!
By anthony Vecchione on 05/24/05 19:55 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Maybe I am biased but this is my fifth of my BMW. Three were 3 series (gave my last one to my daughter so the grandchildren were safe), and purchased a Z4 for my wife. I needed a larger sedan than the 3, so the 5 was a natural choice. I happen to like the looks and the I Drive. Yes, it takes some time, but it is worth it. We just got back from a 2000 mile trip and we were comortable and relaxed after doing quite a bit of exploring. It handled wonderfully on the switchbacks of the forest roads, great milage on the highway, and the navagation system was confused only once when new roads had been built. It even found a small hotel we had programmed in in a residental area of town,