Used 2005 BMW 5 Series 525i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

A Great Surprise
By HiHoMike

2005 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

After owning Mercedes, Lexus, Infinti, Cadillac, Acura, etc., after driving the 525i, it sold itself. Handling, style, comfort, reliability and service are superior. This is my first bimmer, and it won't be my last

Favorite Features

Styling, comfort, adaptive headlights, 6-speed automatic transmission

Suggested Improvements

Make it easier to access HVAC setting without having to go into I-Drive.

Best Vehicle I've Ever Owned
By Michael in Florida

2005 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

I've owned Mercedes, Lexus, Cadillac, Audi, Porshe, to name a few, but never had a BMW until I bought the new 525i 8 weeks ago. I was, and continue to be, totally awed by the vehicle. This is a well-built, eye-catching and unbelievably performing machine in every way. The styling is unparalleled; the interior is roomy and erognomically satisfying; the trunk is spacious and can hold 4 sets of golf clubs; the horsepower is deceiving, only 184, but it responds assertively and appropriately to any demand I place on it. I recommend the xenon package with adaptive headlights, the premium package, and the satellite radio. Great surprise and highly satisfying - best of over 40 cars I've owned.

Favorite Features

Styling, roominess, ergonomics, ride and handling, technology, drivability, smoothness, comfortable seating for 5.

Suggested Improvements

Take vent setting out of I-drive and enable driver to select settings without having to go into the I-drive.

Fun Vehicle
By Coaster

2005 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

Only drawback is accepting the i drive each time you start the car, Its a pain in the butt. I know the system, took a little time to learn but You should have the right to adjust its features, more than they allow.

Favorite Features

Seating and drivability, it is a joy to travel.

Suggested Improvements

Allow owner input on the way the I drive computer should work for that individual. I will sign and not hold BMW accountable.

2005 BMW 525i - a great vehicle
By BMW 525i impressive

2005 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

Test drove Mercedes E320, Lexus GS300, Acura 3.2TL, Infiniti M45, to name a few, but BMW has done some amazing things with the 5 series. Best car I've ever owned. Have had it over a month - surprising fuel economy, and for a 6 cylinder with only 185 horsepower, it really moves when you need it. They tell me it's because of the 6 speed automatic transmission and the torque. Very roomy, plush, very comfortable for me as I am 240 and am over 6'2" tall. Smooth ride, yet it handles like a sports sedan should. Very impressed with the interior refinements. Don't like the I-Drive system for changing radio settings and vent settings - too cumbersome and distracting while driving.

Favorite Features

Interior, handling, ride, comfort, styling.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the I-drive - don't need it.

Compare to E class
By rick78654

2005 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

This is my first BMW and I finally got it right! Fell in love with this car when I first drove it early in 2004, but availability was nil. Before I returned to the BMW dealer, I checked out the E class once more - I previously owned an E430. I had some issues with the Benz in the area of seating comfort. I still find I can't get comfortable in a Benz, yet I felt like an old man driving it (E class) with the way it handles. Well let me tell you, the 5 series is truly a remarkable combination of ride quality and handling. I didn't expect such a terriffic ride quality from a BMW handling machine but it's unbelievable. Easily the quietest car I have ever owned. Don't listen to the crtics

Favorite Features

I think the I-Drive is very nice because it simplifies the layout of the car, yet offers advanced programming features. Love the color screen! The build quality and fit and finish of this car is excellent! Love the comfortable seats, quiet cabin and the way it drives.

Suggested Improvements

YES the cup holders. But hey this is a german car and they must have something important to put in the space which would otherwise be used for storage. I think I'll just try to go to an auto parts store and get some kind of plastic caddy that they make for cars BEFORE they used to have cup holders!