Used 2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Well, I always wanted one
By PJINCA

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my 37th car in my life (more cars than years old) and I always wanted a 5 Series and now I fianlly got one. It is exactly what I wanted performance-wise, powerful, smooth and great handling. I have yet to feel the tranny shift, it is butter smooth. The comfort is excellent, I have both Sport and Premium pkgs and nav. The fit and finish are perfect and the brakes are great. My only complaints? Lack of storage - my cell phone resides on the shelf provided by the nav system. And apparently the computer is skewed, the other day my gas gauge read just under half tank, the computer told me I had 73 miles to empty, yet the fuels light came on and I had to put 17 gals into an 18 gal tank?

Favorite Features

Suspension, brakes, engine, seats, and yes the iDrive (I work in IT so technology is something I enjoy), now I get the longing looks that I used to give when I saw a 5 series

Suggested Improvements

Computer, nav should be satellite based not DVD, in a car this price range should multi-CD really be an option? And finally the ridiculous price from the dealer to have sat radio installed - it has satellite prep, but the radio costs $1000 installed (I got one for $29 and stuck it on the dash)

530I
By Stoney

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought mine with 15000 miles on it. I also owned a previous certified pre-owned 2000 (I can't get myself to puchase a new one). While I enjoy the "sedan" feel, it is not as responsive as my previous 5 series and also my wife's 335i blows it away in the fun category. But with that said, I bought a sedan and I love it (120 mph feels like 45 mph)! I only wish the ergonomics were a tad better (cup holders, cruise, tilt, wipers, etc.). For the money, give me the beemer and keep the lexus/acura!

Favorite Features

heated stering wheel, bluetoothe, I-control, wipers, sport mode tranny.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders, come on deutshce engineers, thats your best?

Super Car, with Problems
By Maximum Bob

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

I know the service techs far more than I should for such a great car. Do NOT put anything liquid in the trunk and expect not to fry your iDrive. Some idiots in Germany made the trunk porous and put the iDrive electronics package in the trunk, so if you have cooler and it tips over, immediately get out your rags, etc., and get that water out. I have fried the iDrive twice in this way, and it cost a bundle to fix it. Really poor engineering.

Favorite Features

It drives like no-one's business. It goes, fast.

Suggested Improvements

Seal the trunk, please.

This is a disappointment
By Ken

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

Owned many BMW products. All great cars except for this one. Car had repeated problems with navigation screen. I was on my third screen. The computer also reported many false positive problems that would mysteriously disappear and reappear. Great car to drive. Great performance. Actually good gas mileage for high-performance 8-cylinder. Unfortunately, I spent more time with my service manager than my family. I traded the car in yesterday. Took a bath on the trade. But was worth it. Ouch. Good riddance.

Favorite Features

Performance. Comfort.

Suggested Improvements

BMW needs to fixed all the bugs with this car.

Rockin'
By Robert

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is the perfect car. Handles awesome, the combination of power versus fuel economy is phenomenal and the quietness and comfortable ride are totally there. Not to mention badass looks! The car is gorgeous. I have the black with tan interior. Nothing on the road is as beautiful except maybe the Benz 500. This thing runs like mad when you want and smooth as can be when you want to lay back. Stable as can be under rough pavement and braking is first rate. My former car was a 3 series and I miss the razor sharp handling, but the 3 was a little "touchy". Not so with the 530i. I have the premium package, the regular sound system is ok with me and the seats are very comfortable.

Favorite Features

Gorgeous looks, fabulous engine, fuel economy (30 mpg hway, 19 city), comfort and quietness, handling, power. SmOOOOOOOth and luxurious. Hard to fathom a better combination of lux, sport and efficiency, with solidity and feeling of safety.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders, interior storage, pricey.