Used 2005 BMW 5 Series 545i Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

545i w/sport suspension 2 yr impressions
By Bruce S

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

Excellent handling, one of the best cornering cars ever with the active roll stabilizers. The car is safe, smooth and fast, however, the electronic throttle seems to make the acceleration feel a little less tight. The sport suspension gives a little too much clunk for my preference, but if cornering is your priority, the harsher ride can be overlooked. Quality of construction is excellent and solid. I feel the dash could be better looking. Overall, if you're looking for performance, this car has to be considered.

Senior Bimmerman
By Ed A

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

This is my 3rd BMW and it is the smoothest, quietest, best performing of all. It has the driving performance and still has creature comforts. I tried an Infiniti G for a year, but had to get back to a car that had superior driving characteristics and a strong feel and smooth ride.

Favorite Features

The V8 is smooth and has power at all RPM with six speed automatic. The Sport mode of six speed is very good. The interior is simple, elegant, and comfortable. Bluetooth phone support is very good.

Suggested Improvements

After a few days of getting used to it I think the iDrive is a real plus but I would like to see it boot up quicker and respond a little quicker to selections.

Finally got my 545i!!!!
By ab

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

After much debate, I decided to let go of my 2006 330i for a 2005 545i. So far, the car does not disappoint. The iDrive is by far one of the best gadgets the car has to offer. You have to be computer illiterate not to know how to use the iDrive. These are the gadgets that make the car exciting!! As far as performance, the engine delivers!!! I could only image how the 550i performs. In addition, the car is very spacious and the seats are very comfortable. I can't wait to drive the car because it is that exciting!!

Favorite Features

iDrive!! (do not listen to any car editors - try it first, then make a decision) Nav system (could be much better), bluetooth, PDC, Sport package, space, and engine.

Suggested Improvements

Provide more functionality in the iDrive, hard drive based Nav instead of DVD, free Nav dvd updates, Nav screen should have the ability to display across the whole screen instead of , ability to retro fit HD radio and iPod aux, BMW assist should be standard for the life of the warranty or vehicle.

Still the Best Performance Sedan
By fat penguin

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

I have owned more than 10 BMWs and, with the exception of my 2003 M3 convertible (my baby), this is the best car yet. It's a sports car, luxury sedan, and a practical everyday vehicle all in one.

Favorite Features

Power, roadhandling, bluetooth, iDrive (yes, I think it's great once you get used to it)

Suggested Improvements

If BMW cannot get the cupholders right, just take them out! I'm sick of spilling coffee because I assume the drink is secure. Door handles are cheap too.

Best of the best
By Bo

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

First BMW and without a doubt the best all around car I have ever owned. Traded a 2004 Mazda RX8 for it, the 545 outperforms the Mazda in every way.

Favorite Features

Handling is exceptional better than most sports cars

Suggested Improvements

None