Used 2005 BMW 5 Series 545i Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Awesome Car!
By James

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

This is one of the best cars I have ever had. I now have 36000 miles on mine, a 545i, and it is just as good, if not better, than when it was new. The build quality is impeccable and the performance beyond reproach.

Favorite Features

This car is fast!! The six speed manual shifts flawlessly. The handling is awesome. Love the iDrive system.

Suggested Improvements

The carpet looks cheap. Past that nothing.

Great to Drive, If it is not in the Shop
By Dave

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

This is my second 5 series, the previous was a 540. The vehicle is pure pleasure to drive, acceleration, braking and handling are awesome! That said, it is the poorest quality vehicle I have ever had. 5 visits in 5 weeks in the shop for failing iDrive. I blame BMW service more than the vehicle, they would not replace the failing unit and kept reprogramming the computer. The iDrive itself is tedious and cumbersome, the nav system is worthless 50% of the time. I cannot count how many rattles and noises the vehicle possesses. Sunroof replaced, window gaskets squeaking, etc etc etc. BMW, the driverís machine - when you get to drive it!

Favorite Features

Acceleration, triptonic shifter, throwing the vehicle around.

Suggested Improvements

Free service for 4 years is a great concept, if 1) the vehicle rarely needs it; and 2) the service center comleted the work the first time; and 3) they did not cheap out like not turning or replacing rotors on a brake job.

Fantastic
By Miller

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

I have owned this car for two and one half years and still love to drive it. The fuel economy is great for a V8 20 city and 26 hwy (actual). Handling is superb! I have sports package (highly recommended) which includes wide 18 inch wheels, which I highly recommend! Quality is top notch and fit is superior! If you can afford it, buy the 8 cylinder as there is nothing finer than a BMW 8 cylinder. Also the car retains more value as the 8 cylinder is in fewer numbers!

Favorite Features

Handling, power, handling, fuel economy vs power, handling, quality fit, and handling!

Suggested Improvements

The iDrive.

2005 BMW 5 Series 545i 6M
By Joe V

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

Bought used w/ 24K miles. This is a truly amazing car. I've had it now for 4 months and love it more every day. My only complaint was the REALLY bad OEM Dunlop DSST run-flat tires. BMW should be embarassed by these - LOUD as a truck and extremely jittery due to uneven tread wear all around. Replaced them a month ago with Pirelli P-Zero-Nero MS's and I have a totally different car. Handling & comfort are 100% improved. Trunk is huge. Sat radio & nav are great. Excellent night vision. 18 MPG in town - 28 MPG HWY. No regrets. A great purchase.

Favorite Features

Handling & drive, Nav system & SAT radio are excellent. Blue-tooth phone connection is really simple & a huge asset. Sport seats are fantastic. An absolute pleasure to drive every day.

Suggested Improvements

Allow seat-belt gong to be switched off if you step out of the car to get the mail or run to the ATM. Dunlop tires are the absolute worst I've ever driven. Cup-holders could be better.

Problematic 545
By mark levi

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

The 545 is a beautiful car with speed and handling performance that is exceptional. However, the iDrive is very difficult to navigate and we had problems with error messages on our screen from the beginning. There was always at least one and sometimes as many as 3 warning displays. The dealer was never able to fix them and didn't respond to our continued complaints. We finally turned it in about 24 months into a 36 month lease.

Favorite Features

The 545 is a very fast and great handling car. It looks sharp and overall it is very fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the iDrive and all of the fancy electronics. They are so convoluted and difficult to use that it is a chore to adjust even the AC when driving.