2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
black beauty!
By dr smaha on 06/26/05 23:00 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

Can't wait to cross break-in period, this car is born to be driven hard. Exceptional handling, power to spare, gorgeous interior. What more can I say, except can't wait to drive the new m5. My jet black 545 truly gets better the faster and more demanding the driving gets, don't sell yourself short by going with the smaller 525/535. You will not be sorry with the sport-packaged v8. I've heard the iDrive was a paiN, but as a first time BMW buyer it is very easy to use. This car is why driving is so fun, I have no regrets at all, only tons of miles to enjoy. Ya-hoo!!

Passes Anything INCLUDING gas stations
By Chief Black Bimmer on 06/26/05 22:41 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

When I was a kid, I had a 1968 Pontiac GTO, which could pass just about anything but a gas station. My new BMW 545 will pass that Goat, and gas stations, too (I get 18-19 mpg in town, 26-28 on the interstates). In fact, largely due to its wonderful 6- speed Steptronic transmission, it actually gets better gas mileage than my other Bimmer, a 2004 330 coupe with 5-speed auto. The much-reviled iDrive is easy to master if you take the time to study the owner's manual. I have little sympathy for the whiners who invest $50K+ on a terrific vehicle, but not several hours to read the manual. IDrive will be your friend if you let it. Ride and Handling - outstanding, as expected.

Excellent Job
By Rich on 06/23/05 16:21 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

Ordered this 545i (still built in Germany) car and got it in 4 weeks. Excellent power and nice new interior with the Dakota Auburn Leather. Good solid fit and finish. Had an 02 540i and I like this one even more. Exterior styling they got mostly right, still looks determined and stout.

My BMW 545i Six Speed
By Tom Schmidt on 06/20/05 14:44 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

BMW gave the owners of the older E39 a reason to trade up. The newer E60 is so different in terms of improved handling and balance its hard to believe they came from the same company. I took possession of the car in Munich so I got to drive it on the Autobahn. Wow, what a thrill. When a car is designed to travel safely at 130 mph, it's even safer at 70 mph. It's so well thought out in every detail that it seems every design feature has it's own complex rationale. It is probably the the perfect car for me.

Back and better then before
By blue/dark brown inti on 06/12/05 21:21 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

I had the very first 2004 545i in NYC and it looked great but the computer was never working correctly and car was always in the shop. So my dealership worked with BMW and got me into an brand new M3 convertible leaving my 545i to BMW for further evaluation. Needless to say I loved my M3 but I needed a bigger car but did not want to lose the M3 drive so I returned my M3 and am back in a new 2005 545i and BMW fixed everything that was wrong with the 2004. The car is as fun to drive as my M3 but has the best sound system (Logic 7) great handling (sports pkg) and enough room for anything that life throws at you. The GPS/voice/bluetooth all work great GET A 545 TODAY- BEST 4dr on the road!

A step up
By Simon on 06/12/05 10:48 AM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

I traded in a 2003 525i to buy the 2005 545i. While it has taken me a little while to get used to the new styling, it has taken no time at all to get used to the sheer driving power and pleasure of the 545i. Über-responsive and just terrific fun to drive, I am very happy with my decision.

Great Car
By Marc on 05/09/05 21:30 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

Fun, extremely fast, and sticks to road as if it's on rails. I love driving this every day. I recommend it to anyone who loves to drive. I had the K40 installed also.

Is it a Lemon?
By 1stBMWLastBMW? on 04/20/05 09:20 AM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

Took ownership end of Feb. Less than 12 hours later the car said I had a flat. Had to wait 1/2 day to diagnose myself and reset. A week later the computer reboots while doing the voice commands. A week or two after that Navigation tells me I'm driving in the ocean. Took it in and a week later it's fixed but after the s/w upgrade the computer rebooted twice (after it went to sleep a 2 days). Locking the car doesn't blink the lights nor chimes (intermitent). Going up the hill, it feels like it wants to stall (but doesn't). And now the latest: Steering wheel is pointing right. I feel like I'm driving a very expensive, very poorly designed car. Current mileage (1700)

fun to drive
By marc on 04/09/05 10:26 AM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

Love the car. Just picked it up last week. Fun, very fast, and with the sport package it is on rails driving. I have pushed the car and have yet to hear the tires even start to slide or squeal. The only thing I don't like is that the beverage holders stink.

545: Drive it, buy it.
By Salberts on 04/08/05 17:08 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

I did. I was bored. It was rainy. I had the kids. I decided to test drive the new 5. Since I owned (and loved) a 530i (2002), I had no intention of buying the new model. Long story short, I test drove a 545, and I was sold. Not only is power, cornering, and ride vastly superior to the prior 5, the interior and trunk is larger, and the interior is better laid out. After a few minutes of minor haggling, the papers were signed and I was behind the wheel of a new silver grey 545i beauty. I drove it all weekend. Even the kids enjoyed it.