2005 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Problematic 545
By mark levi on 03/18/07 18:10 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

The 545 is a beautiful car with speed and handling performance that is exceptional. However, the iDrive is very difficult to navigate and we had problems with error messages on our screen from the beginning. There was always at least one and sometimes as many as 3 warning displays. The dealer was never able to fix them and didn't respond to our continued complaints. We finally turned it in about 24 months into a 36 month lease.

Best car I've ever had!!
By dan on 12/17/06 22:00 PM (PST)

2005 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

I have had just about every make of automobile (cadillac, jaguar, porsche, s2000 and trucks), and this 5 series is the overall best car I've ever had. The only problem is the 6 cylinder is a little underpowered. But that is what I bought. Am looking to order a new 8 cylinder, and take delivery in Germany.

My First was the Best
By thewonger on 11/28/06 13:17 PM (PST)

2005 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

My 1st BMW was 1998 5-series that I regret not keeping. I'm on my 3rd 5- series and seriously considering another brand. The gas tank has been replaced, passenger side window motor replaced, the trunk opened randomly (finally figured out it was a faulty switch), alarm went off in my garage and it wasn't even armed (from what I've read, this was likely due to low battery drain), rt-rear passenger didn't always lock during drive-away, and passenger-side airbag sensor replaced. I like driving the car and the looks are great, but to have a $50k+ car in the shop so many times in 2 years is too much.

545i w/sport suspension 2 yr impressions
By Bruce S on 07/14/06 10:41 AM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

Excellent handling, one of the best cornering cars ever with the active roll stabilizers. The car is safe, smooth and fast, however, the electronic throttle seems to make the acceleration feel a little less tight. The sport suspension gives a little too much clunk for my preference, but if cornering is your priority, the harsher ride can be overlooked. Quality of construction is excellent and solid. I feel the dash could be better looking. Overall, if you're looking for performance, this car has to be considered.

Senior Bimmerman
By Ed A on 06/21/06 19:48 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

This is my 3rd BMW and it is the smoothest, quietest, best performing of all. It has the driving performance and still has creature comforts. I tried an Infiniti G for a year, but had to get back to a car that had superior driving characteristics and a strong feel and smooth ride.

My Mistake
By My Bimmer on 06/04/06 05:26 AM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

If you are looking for a budget/luxury/family performance car with good gas mileage, this is it! Sleek design, very comfortable and exceptional power for a v6. Nimble, great cornering and nice road feel. I have had it to 150 mph, but it took a while to get there and I wasn't comfortable as I arrived. "Ah There's the rub". At about 125 suspension feels loose. The SPORT PACKAGE corrects that problem. 0-60 takes about 9.3 sec., an eternity when trying to catch a fast car. The M5 will correct that problem(0-60 4.3). The 530 is a beautiful machine.

Finally got my 545i!!!!
By ab on 04/13/06 11:59 AM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

After much debate, I decided to let go of my 2006 330i for a 2005 545i. So far, the car does not disappoint. The iDrive is by far one of the best gadgets the car has to offer. You have to be computer illiterate not to know how to use the iDrive. These are the gadgets that make the car exciting!! As far as performance, the engine delivers!!! I could only image how the 550i performs. In addition, the car is very spacious and the seats are very comfortable. I can't wait to drive the car because it is that exciting!!

Still the Best Performance Sedan
By fat penguin on 03/22/06 19:14 PM (PST)

2005 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

I have owned more than 10 BMWs and, with the exception of my 2003 M3 convertible (my baby), this is the best car yet. It's a sports car, luxury sedan, and a practical everyday vehicle all in one.

Great Car
By Damon on 01/24/06 00:22 AM (PST)

2005 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

My wife fell in love with this car when she saw it. This is our first BMW and we are very satisfied. I am 6'4 and 280 pounds and there is tons of leg room for me front and back. in fact my favorite spot in the car is riding in the back. This car drives great and handles perfect. I only wish we would have spent the extra money and got the 530 to have more power. Don't get wrong it has great power but only after you get up to 40-50 mph. There is no initial pick up in the 6 cyl, but its great at higher speeds. Gears and smooth and precise. go for it and get one. It is the best driving car we ever had.

Best of the best
By Bo on 01/20/06 23:40 PM (PST)

2005 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

First BMW and without a doubt the best all around car I have ever owned. Traded a 2004 Mazda RX8 for it, the 545 outperforms the Mazda in every way.