Used 2005 BMW 5 Series 545i Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Growing on me
By Mac M

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

The dominant item of this car is the V-8 engine. It is nothing but superlatives: extremely powerful, very fuel efficient, wonderful sounding, impossible to operate smoothly in stop and go traffic, incredibly complicated (I hope valvetronic is reliable). The car itself is very modern. Most of it is made of aluminum. The interior (standard seats) is comfortable, though storage space is limited. Brakes, transmission, electronics such as Logic 7 radio and nav are first rate. The latter, of course, is already outdated by today's hard drive systems, but the basic car still remains leading edge. I cannot overemphasize how good the engine is. Don't even consider the 6 cylinder.

The engine. It even burns regular gas with no complaint! The numerous details of the Bangle styling. It grows on you. Now everyone else is copying it.

The sunroof is very noisy when closed if maladjusted off center by as little as a credit card thickness. Needs better seals, I guess. The transmission/engine software needs to be tweaked to allow smoother operation during the 10 feet before a stop/after a start. Very, very jerky now.

545i; a great performer
By Joe

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

I recently purchased a pre-owned 545i, with about 55k on the clock. The car is tight, without creaks and rattles, and the interior still looks largely new. My previous vehicle was an 06 Lotus Elise, and even so, I would say this car drives impeccably. Everything from the engine, to the weight distribution, to the suspension (sport package) to the transmission (6sp MT) is perfect. My only complaint with the whole car is the iDrive system; it's too cumbersome. Simple tasks like changing the radio station or ventilation settings should be easy to do with individual knobs without resorting to a series of menus.

Performance and style. Excellent ergonomics.

More knobs, less iDrive.

Sheer Driving Pleasure All Right!
By Dinan S1 Tuned 545!!

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

We thoroughly enjoy our fully loaded BMW 545 sports sedan. We have driven ALL the competitors, including many bona fide sports cars, but none is better overall than this ride. From the awesome power, razor sharp handling, luxury appointments, everything is very refined and simply world class. And because we also have a Dinan-S1 tuned 545er, the premier BMW tuner in North America, our car is a truly one-of-a- kind special ride. The Dinan suite of high performance upgrades, which includes such goodies as advanced engine management software, high flow air intake systems, free flow exhaust, suspension systems, ultra lightweight wheelsets and huge Brembo brakes, has made our ride TRULY sublime.

Sadly, better and stronger cup holders, almost universally complained about it seems. ventilated seats would be a nice add-on feature also, particularly on those hot, muggy and humid days!

Super Car, with Problems
By Maximum Bob

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

I know the service techs far more than I should for such a great car. Do NOT put anything liquid in the trunk and expect not to fry your iDrive. Some idiots in Germany made the trunk porous and put the iDrive electronics package in the trunk, so if you have cooler and it tips over, immediately get out your rags, etc., and get that water out. I have fried the iDrive twice in this way, and it cost a bundle to fix it. Really poor engineering.

It drives like no-one's business. It goes, fast.

Seal the trunk, please.

This is a disappointment
By Ken

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

Owned many BMW products. All great cars except for this one. Car had repeated problems with navigation screen. I was on my third screen. The computer also reported many false positive problems that would mysteriously disappear and reappear. Great car to drive. Great performance. Actually good gas mileage for high-performance 8-cylinder. Unfortunately, I spent more time with my service manager than my family. I traded the car in yesterday. Took a bath on the trade. But was worth it. Ouch. Good riddance.

Performance. Comfort.

BMW needs to fixed all the bugs with this car.