2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
545i w/sport suspension 2 yr impressions
By Bruce S on 07/14/06 10:41 AM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

Excellent handling, one of the best cornering cars ever with the active roll stabilizers. The car is safe, smooth and fast, however, the electronic throttle seems to make the acceleration feel a little less tight. The sport suspension gives a little too much clunk for my preference, but if cornering is your priority, the harsher ride can be overlooked. Quality of construction is excellent and solid. I feel the dash could be better looking. Overall, if you're looking for performance, this car has to be considered.

Senior Bimmerman
By Ed A on 06/21/06 19:48 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

This is my 3rd BMW and it is the smoothest, quietest, best performing of all. It has the driving performance and still has creature comforts. I tried an Infiniti G for a year, but had to get back to a car that had superior driving characteristics and a strong feel and smooth ride.

Finally got my 545i!!!!
By ab on 04/13/06 11:59 AM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

After much debate, I decided to let go of my 2006 330i for a 2005 545i. So far, the car does not disappoint. The iDrive is by far one of the best gadgets the car has to offer. You have to be computer illiterate not to know how to use the iDrive. These are the gadgets that make the car exciting!! As far as performance, the engine delivers!!! I could only image how the 550i performs. In addition, the car is very spacious and the seats are very comfortable. I can't wait to drive the car because it is that exciting!!

Still the Best Performance Sedan
By fat penguin on 03/22/06 19:14 PM (PST)

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

I have owned more than 10 BMWs and, with the exception of my 2003 M3 convertible (my baby), this is the best car yet. It's a sports car, luxury sedan, and a practical everyday vehicle all in one.

Best of the best
By Bo on 01/20/06 23:40 PM (PST)

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

First BMW and without a doubt the best all around car I have ever owned. Traded a 2004 Mazda RX8 for it, the 545 outperforms the Mazda in every way.

From 7-series to 545
By tom on 10/18/05 16:22 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

Following 3 7-series BMWs (2 740s and a 745) I find this 545 to be a much more enjoyable car to drive. With Sport Package, road feel and handling are both outstanding, although I am not a fan of the Active Steering. The interior is at least as comfortable as the 7-series and acceleration is superior. Plenty of room for 4 large adults, icluding sufficient leg room in rear, but 5 adults should only ride for short distances.

From CL55 to BMW 545
By Phil on 08/22/05 13:21 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

Having come out of a CL 55 Merc. I found the BM only slightly slower. The BM's road holding is better, however its economy is the same as the 500bhp merc. The BM is a boring drive but I can live with that. I miss my TV and seat heating.

A Joy To Ride
By mark on 07/29/05 09:12 AM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

Bought the 545 with SMG/ Sports package sight unseen on the recommendation of the salesman - glad I did. This car is an absolute joy to drive - I do ~60 miles each day and it's a pleasure.

Solid Performer
By Dave on 07/15/05 18:10 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

I traded an '04 Mercedes e500 for the 545 and am happy with the decision. The 545 is sportier, a bit quicker and grippier on the roads. I have to say, I think the Benz has a few things over my 545 - interior and exterior design primarilly, though the "Banglisms" (designer) on this car are growing on me...

Passing on the curves
By geoffrey macpherson on 07/12/05 17:32 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

Once upon a time in a galaxy far far away, I owned an M6. I looked upon the 5 series with distain, a four door sedan for the family man. Not for a real life he-man who needed a vessel for all his testosterone. All that went out the window like so much cat hair on a windy day when I drove a 545 and fell in love. This car not only has more power than my 87 M6 but it's handling is actually better. so much for my distain of sedans. If there is any shortfall it's inside. I do miss the hand-stitched leather dash and the little non-functional soda cooler in the back. But that's more than made up for the ability to transport passengers who actually have legs. Bravo BMW, the 545 is a winner.