Used 2005 BMW 5 Series 545i Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

CCC Problem
By black545

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

Great car but there is a issue with the CCC aka iDrive. I had one go out under warranty at about 40,000 and now again it went out at 79,000 but this time I have to pay and it costs $1600 to replace. I have the certified pre- owned warranty which the dealership that I bought from said was bumper to bumper (the salesman lied) and now I have to suffer the consequences. Also the brakes squeal even though they do not need to be replaced. The rear tires wear fast because in the sports suspension, the wheels are slightly inward on purpose for handling so you will have to change tires frequently. Do not recommend if you don't have a lot of money to pay for service.

Comfort.

Engine and Electrical.

Brake Booster failure with 53K miles
By Steffi

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

I am very disappointed to drive with a supposedly quality build car just to figure out it started to fail breaking while waiting in the car line to pick up my children. Unbelievable, I needed a full replacement of the brake booster and the brake Master cylinder after only 52K miles. Good luck to all of you driving this car which almost became a liability for me. That will be my first and last BMW ever.

Looks good and drives nice but fails to break, so I would rather drive an ugly car.

Fix the break system before you go to market with this junk.

Stay away from 545i
By Robert

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

Great handling but there it ends. One of the most unreliable cars I've owned (and I've had Italian cars!). Some of the problems the dealer has been unable to fix because they are fundamentally flawed: radio (because of terrible computer in the car), transmission shifts. If you need to find it, look in the shop.

Handles great. Good power.

Provide a 6 year warranty where everything is covered. Otherwise, design a reliable car.

Great car... very fun to drive.
By Balsar

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

I purchased this vehicle with 9,500 miles on the Odometer. It has been an incredible car. Fast, reliable, comfortable and economical. I drive very aggressive yet still average 23mpg overall in LA's bumper to bumper traffic...amazing mileage! We also own a 06 330xi...also a great car - a lot more nimble than the 5 series when driving twisty roads...but the 545I can easily keep just using the extra power.

Six speed sport transmission...active steering...it's truly a drivers car.

Take the run flat tires and throw them in the trash. Once the car is equipped with regular radials...(it has a spare) it is a new car. Inside noise was reduced by almost 10 decibel pts. from 74 to 63 at 80mph by replace the Bridgestone Potenza RFT. Oh and now my Idrive works using voice command.

I Love Going Fast
By Slicrazy06

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

The 2005 BMW styling is great. All avid 5 series owners fall in love with it sooner or later. My favorite aspect of the car is its reliability, I've had to fix nothing! Pretty fast with the V8, does 0-60 in 5.5 sec and is wonderfully smooth through the transitions. Great fuel economy for a V8 at 18 city and 26 hwy The sports suspension with active steering does wonders and the interior is really well done. BMW continues to be a leader in the auto industry.

Engine, suspension, and overall handling

iDrive is a little irritating, but that was fixed after 2005 models.