2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Growing on me
By Mac M on 01/02/09 22:59 PM (PST)

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

The dominant item of this car is the V-8 engine. It is nothing but superlatives: extremely powerful, very fuel efficient, wonderful sounding, impossible to operate smoothly in stop and go traffic, incredibly complicated (I hope valvetronic is reliable). The car itself is very modern. Most of it is made of aluminum. The interior (standard seats) is comfortable, though storage space is limited. Brakes, transmission, electronics such as Logic 7 radio and nav are first rate. The latter, of course, is already outdated by today's hard drive systems, but the basic car still remains leading edge. I cannot overemphasize how good the engine is. Don't even consider the 6 cylinder.

545i; a great performer
By Joe on 12/10/08 21:43 PM (PST)

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

I recently purchased a pre-owned 545i, with about 55k on the clock. The car is tight, without creaks and rattles, and the interior still looks largely new. My previous vehicle was an 06 Lotus Elise, and even so, I would say this car drives impeccably. Everything from the engine, to the weight distribution, to the suspension (sport package) to the transmission (6sp MT) is perfect. My only complaint with the whole car is the iDrive system; it's too cumbersome. Simple tasks like changing the radio station or ventilation settings should be easy to do with individual knobs without resorting to a series of menus.

Sheer Driving Pleasure All Right!
By Dinan S1 Tuned 545!! on 07/18/08 11:18 AM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

We thoroughly enjoy our fully loaded BMW 545 sports sedan. We have driven ALL the competitors, including many bona fide sports cars, but none is better overall than this ride. From the awesome power, razor sharp handling, luxury appointments, everything is very refined and simply world class. And because we also have a Dinan-S1 tuned 545er, the premier BMW tuner in North America, our car is a truly one-of-a- kind special ride. The Dinan suite of high performance upgrades, which includes such goodies as advanced engine management software, high flow air intake systems, free flow exhaust, suspension systems, ultra lightweight wheelsets and huge Brembo brakes, has made our ride TRULY sublime.

Super Car, with Problems
By Maximum Bob on 05/25/08 19:57 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

I know the service techs far more than I should for such a great car. Do NOT put anything liquid in the trunk and expect not to fry your iDrive. Some idiots in Germany made the trunk porous and put the iDrive electronics package in the trunk, so if you have cooler and it tips over, immediately get out your rags, etc., and get that water out. I have fried the iDrive twice in this way, and it cost a bundle to fix it. Really poor engineering.

This is a disappointment
By Ken on 04/17/08 14:25 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

Owned many BMW products. All great cars except for this one. Car had repeated problems with navigation screen. I was on my third screen. The computer also reported many false positive problems that would mysteriously disappear and reappear. Great car to drive. Great performance. Actually good gas mileage for high-performance 8-cylinder. Unfortunately, I spent more time with my service manager than my family. I traded the car in yesterday. Took a bath on the trade. But was worth it. Ouch. Good riddance.

Awesome Car!
By James on 02/22/08 18:43 PM (PST)

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

This is one of the best cars I have ever had. I now have 36000 miles on mine, a 545i, and it is just as good, if not better, than when it was new. The build quality is impeccable and the performance beyond reproach.

Great to Drive, If it is not in the Shop
By Dave on 10/12/07 16:00 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

This is my second 5 series, the previous was a 540. The vehicle is pure pleasure to drive, acceleration, braking and handling are awesome! That said, it is the poorest quality vehicle I have ever had. 5 visits in 5 weeks in the shop for failing iDrive. I blame BMW service more than the vehicle, they would not replace the failing unit and kept reprogramming the computer. The iDrive itself is tedious and cumbersome, the nav system is worthless 50% of the time. I cannot count how many rattles and noises the vehicle possesses. Sunroof replaced, window gaskets squeaking, etc etc etc. BMW, the driver’s machine - when you get to drive it!

Fantastic
By Miller on 08/16/07 14:20 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

I have owned this car for two and one half years and still love to drive it. The fuel economy is great for a V8 20 city and 26 hwy (actual). Handling is superb! I have sports package (highly recommended) which includes wide 18 inch wheels, which I highly recommend! Quality is top notch and fit is superior! If you can afford it, buy the 8 cylinder as there is nothing finer than a BMW 8 cylinder. Also the car retains more value as the 8 cylinder is in fewer numbers!

2005 BMW 5 Series 545i 6M
By Joe V on 04/19/07 17:46 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

Bought used w/ 24K miles. This is a truly amazing car. I've had it now for 4 months and love it more every day. My only complaint was the REALLY bad OEM Dunlop DSST run-flat tires. BMW should be embarassed by these - LOUD as a truck and extremely jittery due to uneven tread wear all around. Replaced them a month ago with Pirelli P-Zero-Nero MS's and I have a totally different car. Handling & comfort are 100% improved. Trunk is huge. Sat radio & nav are great. Excellent night vision. 18 MPG in town - 28 MPG HWY. No regrets. A great purchase.

Problematic 545
By mark levi on 03/18/07 18:10 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

The 545 is a beautiful car with speed and handling performance that is exceptional. However, the iDrive is very difficult to navigate and we had problems with error messages on our screen from the beginning. There was always at least one and sometimes as many as 3 warning displays. The dealer was never able to fix them and didn't respond to our continued complaints. We finally turned it in about 24 months into a 36 month lease.