2005 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Design Defect
By Regina Wofford on 07/17/10 09:32 AM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

I love my car, but there is a definite design defect. The electronic module that controls most of the electronics in the car is located under the tire well in the truck. It's very easy for liquids to seep into the compartment and cause an "electronic malfunction". I was carrying groceries in my trunk and some liquid spilled. Before I made it home, my car's electronic system went haywire. I took it to the dealer and explained my problem and he new exactly what it was. It seems many other car owners have had the same problem. At a cost of $790 they repaired the problem and relocated the electronic module. It seems this is an ongoing problem and BMW should have made owners aware of the issue

I-drive (CCC system) is an issue
By Lauren on 04/09/10 20:01 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

I LOVE this car. It is fun to drive and is sporty while still being a 4-door sedan. It handles well and really does adjust to your driving style which I really love. There is one BIG issue, the iDrive system that controls the a/c, heat, radio, entertainment, etc. It malfunctions about twice a year and the dealership acts as if they've never seen anything like it. (After researching, it is evident this is an ongoing issue with 5-series.) They did replace my CCC/ iDrive unit while under the warranty but now it is doing it again! This time it's NOT under warranty and it is quoted to cost thousands of dollars to fix this computer module! This issue needs to be resolved.

Brake Booster failure with 53K miles
By Steffi on 04/02/10 16:12 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

I am very disappointed to drive with a supposedly quality build car just to figure out it started to fail breaking while waiting in the car line to pick up my children. Unbelievable, I needed a full replacement of the brake booster and the brake Master cylinder after only 52K miles. Good luck to all of you driving this car which almost became a liability for me. That will be my first and last BMW ever.

Top of its class!
By RLo on 01/29/10 23:47 PM (PST)

2005 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

The car is great, loaded with all the features (premium, sport, cold-weather, navigation, etc) although rather pricey. The car is an absolute joy to drive, and handles like a dream. The performance isn't the greatest, i recommend not getting 530 because the 530i isn't such a great investment. If you want power, just go with the V8, its not much difference the 530 with 525. However, the quality of the car is great, and it is a real head turner. The leather has great quality, as well as the dash, real wood, and other things. What I don't like is the cost to own, but I guess you should expect it since you own a BMW. Also bothers me that everything is optional. (htd. seats, mp3, cd changer, etc)

Stay away from 545i
By Robert on 12/19/09 23:55 PM (PST)

2005 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

Great handling but there it ends. One of the most unreliable cars I've owned (and I've had Italian cars!). Some of the problems the dealer has been unable to fix because they are fundamentally flawed: radio (because of terrible computer in the car), transmission shifts. If you need to find it, look in the shop.

Great car... very fun to drive.
By Balsar on 07/13/09 08:17 AM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

I purchased this vehicle with 9,500 miles on the Odometer. It has been an incredible car. Fast, reliable, comfortable and economical. I drive very aggressive yet still average 23mpg overall in LA's bumper to bumper traffic...amazing mileage! We also own a 06 330xi...also a great car - a lot more nimble than the 5 series when driving twisty roads...but the 545I can easily keep just using the extra power.

I Love Going Fast
By Slicrazy06 on 03/26/09 08:38 AM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

The 2005 BMW styling is great. All avid 5 series owners fall in love with it sooner or later. My favorite aspect of the car is its reliability, I've had to fix nothing! Pretty fast with the V8, does 0-60 in 5.5 sec and is wonderfully smooth through the transitions. Great fuel economy for a V8 at 18 city and 26 hwy The sports suspension with active steering does wonders and the interior is really well done. BMW continues to be a leader in the auto industry.

Growing on me
By Mac M on 01/02/09 22:59 PM (PST)

2005 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

The dominant item of this car is the V-8 engine. It is nothing but superlatives: extremely powerful, very fuel efficient, wonderful sounding, impossible to operate smoothly in stop and go traffic, incredibly complicated (I hope valvetronic is reliable). The car itself is very modern. Most of it is made of aluminum. The interior (standard seats) is comfortable, though storage space is limited. Brakes, transmission, electronics such as Logic 7 radio and nav are first rate. The latter, of course, is already outdated by today's hard drive systems, but the basic car still remains leading edge. I cannot overemphasize how good the engine is. Don't even consider the 6 cylinder.

545i; a great performer
By Joe on 12/10/08 21:43 PM (PST)

2005 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

I recently purchased a pre-owned 545i, with about 55k on the clock. The car is tight, without creaks and rattles, and the interior still looks largely new. My previous vehicle was an 06 Lotus Elise, and even so, I would say this car drives impeccably. Everything from the engine, to the weight distribution, to the suspension (sport package) to the transmission (6sp MT) is perfect. My only complaint with the whole car is the iDrive system; it's too cumbersome. Simple tasks like changing the radio station or ventilation settings should be easy to do with individual knobs without resorting to a series of menus.

Sheer Driving Pleasure All Right!
By Dinan S1 Tuned 545!! on 07/18/08 11:18 AM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

We thoroughly enjoy our fully loaded BMW 545 sports sedan. We have driven ALL the competitors, including many bona fide sports cars, but none is better overall than this ride. From the awesome power, razor sharp handling, luxury appointments, everything is very refined and simply world class. And because we also have a Dinan-S1 tuned 545er, the premier BMW tuner in North America, our car is a truly one-of-a- kind special ride. The Dinan suite of high performance upgrades, which includes such goodies as advanced engine management software, high flow air intake systems, free flow exhaust, suspension systems, ultra lightweight wheelsets and huge Brembo brakes, has made our ride TRULY sublime.