Used 2005 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews - 143 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 BMW 5 Series

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

I love my 5 Series but not the major issue
By ddsbmw

2005 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

I love to drive my 525i, but it would be a lot more enjoyable with some sort of stereo.
CCC module went out and is $1700 to replace.
Out of my budget and almost inevitable to go out in this model.
This controls navigation and all the service lights so I love my car a lot less than I could have.
How I wish BMW would recall their obvious faulty CCC module so this car could be the great car it was meant to be.

Used to be stereo and navigation system.

CCC Module!!

Fun to drive, not without issues
By fango2

2005 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

I bought mine in 2008 with 28K miles.
I sold my 2003 325i to get this car. Just like the 3 series, I LOVE the way this car drives. The power, acceleration and steering are incredible. It's super smooth at high speeds - you just don't know you're speeding! After about 50K miles I was experiencing jerkiness in the transmission. Sometimes at a stop the engine would race and I'd have to shove my foot on the brake. I mentioned it several times to my dealer and finally, at 99K miles (I had the extended warranty) I asked to have a mechanic ride with me and I got a new transmission :) Cupholders suck; don't like the iDrive and interior is so-so, but I still like the car!

Power and acceleration

Loves it
By paulmiceli

2005 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Owned my 2005 530i for 3 years and never had one problem with it. Drove like a dream and always loved driving it. I put on about 12,000 a year mostly city driving and it performed great. A little tight up front (I'm 6'3) but overall the space inside is good. The interior design is very good the bluetooth always worked great with my phone and IDrive didn't bother me once I got used to it. The cup holders are ok they're not to bad never had a problem with them. The car is also very safe I got into an accident and the car held up great. Just recently sold it with 57,000 miles I upgraded to a 2008 535xi I hope I have the same luck with it !

Handling, gas mileage, performance, exterior design, xenon lights + halos

Better traction in rain, seats that go back further, better quality plastics (all was addressed in 08+ models)

Buyer Beware!!
By musicman9

2005 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

I had 3 cars sitting in my garage, one was a BMW 545i (2005) one is a GMC Envoy (2002) and the other is a Toyota Tacoma Truck (1996)
The BMW continued to leak oil all over the garage until I finally sold it.
The Envoy and the Tacoma have about 200,000 miles each and I doubt that I have even spent $500 combined on the 2 of these cars since I have owned them.
The BMW has been nothing but problems with every maintenance bill being at least $1,000.
Just a battery alone for the car is almost $500!

The car was the best driving car I have ever owned but reliability was the worst of any of the 20 cars I have owned since I first started driving.
I traded it recently for a Toyota!

Automatic Transmission Issues
By panthersb

2005 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

In all, the 545i is a well-balanced rig -- amazingly fast and agile for a car of its size and comfort.
My car has been plagued with electrical issues however, and a glitch with the transmission is enough to force me to replace it.

When driving under slight power between 35 and 40 mph, the car feels as if there is a disruption in the fuel delivery or ignition.
When I first demonstrated this to the dealer, a tech said it was the transmission, it was normal, and by shifting it to sport mode I could eliminate the issue.

Unacceptable, in my opinion.
This isn't "normal" behavior for any car, and I don't want to drive in sport mode to fix a transmission malfunction.

Major buzz kill.

Power and handling; styling (though not for everyone); instrument cluster; nav system.

idrive -- clunky and sometimes slow to respond; automatic transmission, which disrupts the power delivery between 35 and 40 mph; seats are too hard and slippery; closing the trunk lid requires coordination and heft; exhaust note is akin to a Chevy Malibu; iPod connection is cumbersome (located in the glove box).