Used 2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

2005 BMW 5 - Never Better
By GJ

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

My 3rd new BMW. Almost didn't buy due to Consumer Reports ratings and negatives about iDrive.Tried comparable Mercedes and Lexus but they don't compare. Glad I stuck with the BMW. Traveling 60 miles daily on Pkwy and Tnpk, the ride is smooth, totally insulated, comfortable (cabin's larger) and responsive, like it understands. Driver's in control. No matter how long you drive it, it will continue to make you shake your head and smile. It out-manuevers any vehicle.Trust me.And iDrive took nothing to work. It's a computer with lots of options and visuals a traditional dash board display would be hard to accomodate. Conflicted? Drive one yourself. Don't rely only on ratings.

Favorite Features

Immediate response, flexible manuevering, extremely comfortable seating, sound system, large trunk, larger cabin, cabin styling

Suggested Improvements

None. They fixed the cup holders in this one!

fun to drive
By marc

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

Love the car. Just picked it up last week. Fun, very fast, and with the sport package it is on rails driving. I have pushed the car and have yet to hear the tires even start to slide or squeal. The only thing I don't like is that the beverage holders stink.

Favorite Features

Power, style, class. This is a beautiful car. Everyone looks to check it out.

Suggested Improvements

Beverage holders. Terrible.

545: Drive it, buy it.
By Salberts

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

I did. I was bored. It was rainy. I had the kids. I decided to test drive the new 5. Since I owned (and loved) a 530i (2002), I had no intention of buying the new model. Long story short, I test drove a 545, and I was sold. Not only is power, cornering, and ride vastly superior to the prior 5, the interior and trunk is larger, and the interior is better laid out. After a few minutes of minor haggling, the papers were signed and I was behind the wheel of a new silver grey 545i beauty. I drove it all weekend. Even the kids enjoyed it.

Favorite Features

I-Drive, and cup holders. I have even grown to like the way it looks.

Suggested Improvements

A coin holder.

Couldn't be happier!!!
By BradS

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

Glad I stepped up to the car I really wanted. Was sold on 530, with premium and cold weather package, but really liked the power of the 545. Traded in my '99 M3 Convertible, which was one of the most exciting cars I have owned, but now with the 545, I now have a rocket with more room and luxury. Considered the new M45, A6 4.2, and Lexus GS, but after driving all, you realize why BMW is the one they are all striving to be.

Favorite Features

Navigation system, acceleration, tight feel of active steering, sound system, idrive, quiet cabin, styling

Can't get any better
By Anna

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

The test drive sold me in 30 seconds. Doesn't hold a candle to the Lexus or the Benz. Handling of turns is most impressive and turns on a dime. Purrs like a kitten.... the sound system is great... the i-drive is a piece of cake. I would buy another one tomorrow.

Favorite Features

The shape of the car...the interior layout and design

Suggested Improvements

None