2005 BMW 5 Series 525i Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

After 4500 miles of fun driving
By jamesc

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

I chose European Delivery and picked up my 545i in Munich, Germany. This car is designed to be driven at 100 mph + on German autobahn. At over 100 mph on German autobahn, this car can cruise at ease for hours like itís doing 60 mph. The 545 is deceivingly fast and extremely quiet. The fit and finish is excellent. With Sport Package option, the car feels like it can take corners better than a Porsche Boxster. The state of art BMW Valvetronic V8 engine is amazingly smooth and responsive. The braking and handling inspire confidence in the driver. The cabin is isolated from all outside noise. I prefer to hear the engine and exhaust a little bit more. BMW 545 is my 4 door sport car TOY!

Favorite Features

BMW 4.5L Valvetronic V8, Sport pkg (including Active Roll Stabilization, Sport suspension, Active Steering), Navigation System, Premium Sound - Logic 7, Xenon Adaptive Headlights.

Suggested Improvements

The car should come with with normal Maximum Performance Tires instead of Run Flat Tires. Active Steering should be a stand alone option not included in the Sport Package option. A car like this should have zero noise going over bumps. The noise might be from door seal, leather rubbing.

First BMW, It's Amazing!
By Quetzalcoatl

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my first BMW. I fell in love with German engineering when I owned the '98 Passat. This is that multiplied by 10. The car is a pure joy to drive. It makes the slog of the commute worth it, at least for a little while. I-drive is nowhere near the horrible extra everyone says. The cupholders aren't great, but they do the job. The one complaint I have is minor, and that is the odd compartments in the center armrest. What's the point?

Favorite Features

SMG transmission, xenon headlights and massive trunk.

Suggested Improvements

Center console compartments and seats could be a bit more plush, but the driver's constant tinkering and inability to find a comfortable position may be contributing to the problem.

Best mid-size sport sedan out now
By GER_545SMG

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

This car has delivered...and more. I have never enjoyed a car as much as this. Everything is just great. Sure the cupholders could be better, but this is otherwise German engineering at its finest.

Favorite Features

Logic 7 stereo SMG!!!! (not for everyone, you should be leaning towards a manual transmission if you even consider) Navigation

Suggested Improvements

cupholders Better software programming (and communication with dealers) Integrated Bluetooth support

Not disappointed!!!
By Tennesseean

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

Just had my Beemer for a week now. I am totally satisfied so far. Great ride...compared to Jaguar S-type, Lexus 300, Mercedes E-class. No Comparison for price. I drove a 1998 525-i and it was good. This care is awesome!!!!I can't wait to put it onto open highway!!!

Favorite Features

Ambient lighting, i-drive, leather seating and trim

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders, Should have 6 CD changer in dash standard

Hitt yourself in the head with a hammer
By stevee500

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

TRADED MY E320-AFTER 6MOS TRADED RIGHT BACK TO AN E500. MY 530 HAD AN MSRP OF 63 K W/ EVERY POSSIBLE OPTION. DRIVING THIS CAR WAS LIKE HITTING MYSLEF IN THE HEAD WITH A HAMMER - IT FEELS SO GOOD WHEN YOU QUIT! I DRIVE IS EASY, BUT STILL A NEEDLESS HASSLE AND VERY DISTRACTING. ALSO FAR LESS COMFORT THAN THE BENZ. LOUSY INTERIOR, POOR STORAGE, CHEAP LOOKING ORANGE INSTRUMENT LIGHTS. EXTERIOR DIMENSIONS ARE SLIGHTLY LARGER THAN THE MERC YET THE MERC IS SO MUCH MORE ROOMY! BUT THE I DRIVE IN THE ISSUE - IT MAKES THIS CAR FAR MORE COMPLEX TO OPERATE THAN IT NEED BE. MY BENZ HAS ALL THE SAME BELLS AND WHISTLES YET IS EASY AND INTUITIVE TO OPERATE. BMW WILL DROP I DRIVE!!

Favorite Features

CRUISE DISTANCE CONTROL IS AN EXPENSIVE OPTION BUT WELL WORTH IT; BEAUTIFUL STYLING

Suggested Improvements

DROP I DRIVE!!!! DROP THE CHEESY PONTIAC STYLE ORANGE INSTRUMENT LIGHTS!!! GIVE US DECENT CONSOLE STORAGEAND CUP HOLDERS!!! ELECTRONICS THAT DON'T FAIL REGULARLY - A BIG PAIN - IT TAKES THE DEALER 8 HOURS TO RE-PROGRAM EVERY TIME THE I DRIVE CRASHES, WHICH IT DOES MONTHLY!!

Green 525 - Love it
By Executive Class

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

This is one of the most appealing vehicles on the road. I've had people on the highway give me the thumbs up as if saying, "Nice car man". It feels and rides great. I have a friend with a Cadillac and one with a Mercedes and they both brag about my 525. The 525 has superb handling and power to merge and pass. The I-drive is easy to learn and an innovative convenience. I am able to reach every button in the front area to include the passengers door with ease. This is my first 5 Series and I will always own a 5 series from now on. Oh! The full maintenance warranty will be hard to beat. The factory sound system has no distortion at high levels. There is plenty of trunk space.

Favorite Features

One of my favorite features is the passenger mirror that tilts when reversing. There are many other features such as the flat tire sensors, I drive and rain sensor wipers that I just can't pick one. Outstanding features. I love the fact there are side impact air bags and stability control.

Suggested Improvements

The only things I would recommend improving is the rear floor mats. They should be like the 3 series and X3 where there is a screw like device to hold them to the floor.

Fun to drive
By RufusA

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

A great car and fun to drive. Get the standard 6 speed. The i drive is not a big deal as published in the car mags.

Favorite Features

Handles extremely well at all speeds

awesome
By dentkorn

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Car drives and handles beyond expectations.Annoying cuphoder,and radio only blemish to this buyer.

Favorite Features

Body design,seat unusually comfortable,good gas milage 27mpg.

Suggested Improvements

Redesign radio and cupholder

great car- everyone should drive one
By ted lyon`

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

sport car feel with luxery car comfort- hadles great- very quick

Favorite Features

look is best- speed tops-

Suggested Improvements

none

lovin it
By mikelle lasorsa

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

The best car I have ever drove.

Favorite Features

looks engine

Suggested Improvements

none