2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
love it
By smack on 12/29/04 17:15 PM (PST)

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Test drove Mercedes E320 and BMW 520 at least three times each. The BMW had a better suspension, more responsive engine, smoother acceleration and overall much more fun to drive than the E320. The Mercedes was slow to respond during acceleration, required too many RPM's to move the car and shifting was not smooth. The E320 has a more elegant exterior, but felt like nothing more than a pretty version of a toyota.

Not what it used to be...
By JWestley on 12/25/04 13:46 PM (PST)

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I am not impressed with this car at all. I leased it even against my own instincts. I was trying to decide between BMW and Mercedes. Even though Mercedes had one heck of a deal, I opted for a younger, more exciting look, but the car has been everything, but... I think BMW needs to go back to the drawing board and redo this model. Otherwise in 24 months, I will not be shopping for this car.

Elegant Muscle
By bugatti46 on 12/23/04 14:09 PM (PST)

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

Last car a 2000 540, this car is larger and more feature packed. Maybe not a good thing. idrive is easy after a couple of minutes if you have a handful of common sense.

Another Beemer Success
By L. Rogoway on 12/22/04 12:17 PM (PST)

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is the third 5 series we have picked up and driven in Europe. Our previous 5 was a 1997 540i, a dynamite aggressive vehicle. This 530i, while having a less powerful engine is similarly aggressive in due partly to the six speed automatic transmission. It is quick from the get-go while being very miserly in fuel consumption. We absolutely love the i-drive and seriously disagree with those who criticize it. It sure beats hunting for which button to push on the dashboard to change something.

Outstanding Sedan
By Dakota on 12/20/04 14:17 PM (PST)

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

I have owned many different BMW's over the years and was hesitant on selling my 2003 540i and moving to the new one. I initially did not like the body style of the new 5 series but after seeing the sport version on the 545i, I changed my mind.As with any BMW, the tire and wheel package make the car. The interior is completely different and much better than the previous version. I-Drive is fun, not a hassle. Vehicle is as solid as any BMW and will make a great car for the perfomance minded driver. Love it !!!

2005 BMW 525i - a great vehicle
By BMW 525i impressive on 12/19/04 17:17 PM (PST)

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

Test drove Mercedes E320, Lexus GS300, Acura 3.2TL, Infiniti M45, to name a few, but BMW has done some amazing things with the 5 series. Best car I've ever owned. Have had it over a month - surprising fuel economy, and for a 6 cylinder with only 185 horsepower, it really moves when you need it. They tell me it's because of the 6 speed automatic transmission and the torque. Very roomy, plush, very comfortable for me as I am 240 and am over 6'2" tall. Smooth ride, yet it handles like a sports sedan should. Very impressed with the interior refinements. Don't like the I-Drive system for changing radio settings and vent settings - too cumbersome and distracting while driving.

Bought the car
By susan rutz on 12/19/04 11:11 AM (PST)

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Execellent! Bought the car after I test drove it. Thought the car exceeded my expectations. The last car I bought was a 1995 525i ten years ago so obviously I still love the brand.

Compare to E class
By rick78654 on 12/18/04 09:21 AM (PST)

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

This is my first BMW and I finally got it right! Fell in love with this car when I first drove it early in 2004, but availability was nil. Before I returned to the BMW dealer, I checked out the E class once more - I previously owned an E430. I had some issues with the Benz in the area of seating comfort. I still find I can't get comfortable in a Benz, yet I felt like an old man driving it (E class) with the way it handles. Well let me tell you, the 5 series is truly a remarkable combination of ride quality and handling. I didn't expect such a terriffic ride quality from a BMW handling machine but it's unbelievable. Easily the quietest car I have ever owned. Don't listen to the crtics

A Truly Fine Sport Sedan
By UT VOL on 12/17/04 21:02 PM (PST)

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

I have had 5 different BMW cars and this is the best one yet. I find many of the magazine reviews perplexing in their critical comments on the I-drive, the variable steering, the shifting, and the sport suspension. The I-drive takes just a little effort to figure out. The variable steering is a joy to use in that low speed maneuvers are effortlessly executed and the transition of steering ratios as speed increases are imperceptible. I have a six-speed, sport package car and the shifting and clutch are smooth, smooth, smooth. The sport suspension is perhaps the most remarkable feature in that the car corners almost flat. It has a great ride too. Those magazine editors are techno grouches!

I love my Beemer
By Hunter on 12/15/04 20:46 PM (PST)

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is one of the best cars I have ever owned. It is comfortable but sporty and the I-drive is very useful once you get used to it. It has more features than I have figured out yet. I like the exterior styling and note that many of the more popularly priced cars are staring to imitate it in 2005. The 3 liter in-line six is very powerful but quiet and the automatic transmission shifts very smoothly. It's a great car. My only gripe was I had a few glitches to correct at the dealer after delivery but it was handled quickly and efficiently.