2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews 11

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Incredible Car
By SF Bay Area Driver

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This car is absolutely fantastic. I've had it only three weeks and I get excited every time I back it out of the garage. Love the looks, both inside and out. Interior finish is superb and very comfortable --lots of leg room and great seats. Drive is phenomenal, and the automatic transmission shifts so smoothly. My wife and I argue over who is going to drive! This is my first BMW, and it definitely won't be my last!

Favorite Features

iDrive (if you're computer literate, its super easy to use), Logic7 sound system, rain-sensing wipers, parking assist, adaptive xenon headlamps

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders are not very useful (looks like a common complaint), very limited storage in center armrest

BMW DUD
By pranch

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have had my BMW less than a month and it has already had to be at the dealership 4 times to be repaired. It is stil not fixed. I don't know how this vehicle gets a 9.2 rating on this web-site. I have driven this car approx. 360 miles and 260 of that has been to the dealship to get it repaired. Think long and hard before you buy one. I called BMWNA (customer relations) and they told me to take the problem up with the dealership, they weren't trained to handle this kind of problem. Since I bought this car I have yet to find anyone that owns a BMW that says they have not had multiple problems with their car. Beware.

Favorite Features

The car drive and rides great.

Suggested Improvements

The electronics in my car are a joke.

Bring Back the Drivers Car
By wanger

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

After having a 528 and a 330 convertible, I purchased the new 530. It is so stiff that you do not feel you are driving a BMW...more like a Lexus. The former model felt like you were truly driving a sports sedan. This has no feeling to it. No life. BMW also made the door panels too tall, hence smaller windows like the Chrysler. The back seat passenger can hardly see out of the window. I also miss having the 6 buttons to get a specific radio channel. The iDrive radio just does not cut it. Bottom line: rock solid care with no excitement.

Favorite Features

Great dealer service...

Suggested Improvements

Put back the buttons on the dash board for the radio channels

Incredible drive
By dublinhill

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This car is like no other. I love driving it! I recommend it to anyone. I went with the 530i. Very smooth. Get the satelite radio, the sound system is perfect.

Favorite Features

You name it and it has it. This car amazes me.

Suggested Improvements

not good in the snow

A Pleasure to Drive
By Jon Goldman

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Silver grey color looks great. Took a few weeks to become comfortable with iDrive, but easier to master than I thought it would be. First two months with over 4,000 miles and no quality or operational glitches whatsoever. Wife has '03 525 that we have had great fun with. Seats in wife's car much more comfortable, but otherwise she would rather drive mine and so would I.

Favorite Features

Terrific suspension and transmission. Quiet cabin. High quality build. Adaptable Xenon headlamps a fine feature. Had many favorable comments about styling.

Suggested Improvements

Return to'03 seat design and put temperature gauge back on dashboard. Too much fancy computer stuff - this is great car that doesn't need the fluff.

Best Vehicle I've Ever Owned
By Michael in Florida

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

I've owned Mercedes, Lexus, Cadillac, Audi, Porshe, to name a few, but never had a BMW until I bought the new 525i 8 weeks ago. I was, and continue to be, totally awed by the vehicle. This is a well-built, eye-catching and unbelievably performing machine in every way. The styling is unparalleled; the interior is roomy and erognomically satisfying; the trunk is spacious and can hold 4 sets of golf clubs; the horsepower is deceiving, only 184, but it responds assertively and appropriately to any demand I place on it. I recommend the xenon package with adaptive headlights, the premium package, and the satellite radio. Great surprise and highly satisfying - best of over 40 cars I've owned.

Favorite Features

Styling, roominess, ergonomics, ride and handling, technology, drivability, smoothness, comfortable seating for 5.

Suggested Improvements

Take vent setting out of I-drive and enable driver to select settings without having to go into the I-drive.

BMW is the only car for me
By Mike

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my 11th or so BMW. Last was the 1999 528i which I loved. At first, didn't like the direction of the new styling, but at least it is not as gaudy as the 7 Series. Forget Audi A6 and Mercedes E class. There is no drive like this one and it gets better all the time. The new sports trans is really nice. I basically drive in that and use regular drive like an overdrive on the highway. There is no ride like the the BMW, the ultimate driving machine.

Favorite Features

Ride, standard stereo is like driving in a concert hall. Mileage is also surprisingly good.

Suggested Improvements

Throw in satellite radio, or make it more affordable. Cupholders are really a disappointment, need better armrest storage. Need a place to stick my cell phone. Also, how about headphone jacks in the dash when passengers sleeping. Make backseat fold down standard.

Fun to Drive
By ffarnesi

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

The 530i is a fantastic car to drive. iDrive takes some time to learn but spend the time in learning at the front end and you will eliminate the frustrations. Handling is wonderful, pick up is great, and I personally like the styling. I can't say enough about this car.

Favorite Features

Handling and styling

Suggested Improvements

The middle compartment has a section for a phone, which is wasted space if you don't have a phone. They should take it out. There is no space to hold change. They should incorporate this in the console. You e-pass might not work in all tolls around the country.

Fun Vehicle
By Coaster

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

Only drawback is accepting the i drive each time you start the car, Its a pain in the butt. I know the system, took a little time to learn but You should have the right to adjust its features, more than they allow.

Favorite Features

Seating and drivability, it is a joy to travel.

Suggested Improvements

Allow owner input on the way the I drive computer should work for that individual. I will sign and not hold BMW accountable.

Check that steering wheel.
By Mark II

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my second 5-series unit. It's very impressive - quite a jump from its immediate predecessor - both in technology and design. Great car!

Favorite Features

Plenty! - I like its sporty exterior design, iDrive, engine and stopping responsiveness, great handling aided by active steering, overall car intelligence, comfortable seating, the many thoughtful design details - and most of all, the smooth suspension.

Suggested Improvements

The steering wheel aligns with the convex dashboard, tilting outward towards the door. This is very annoying and could be tiring on a long drive. I miss my old 523 with its steering wheel facing the driver flat. My dealer says they can't - but I hope BMW can do something about this.