Used 2005 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Passing on the curves
By geoffrey macpherson

2005 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

Once upon a time in a galaxy far far away, I owned an M6. I looked upon the 5 series with distain, a four door sedan for the family man. Not for a real life he-man who needed a vessel for all his testosterone. All that went out the window like so much cat hair on a windy day when I drove a 545 and fell in love. This car not only has more power than my 87 M6 but it's handling is actually better. so much for my distain of sedans. If there is any shortfall it's inside. I do miss the hand-stitched leather dash and the little non-functional soda cooler in the back. But that's more than made up for the ability to transport passengers who actually have legs. Bravo BMW, the 545 is a winner.

Engine. Suspension. Styling.

Leather. Lower the bloody price.

545 series rocks
By Bruce in Florida

2005 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

Having grown up in the fifties and sixties with muscle cars I really wanted another one but not some me too machine that had no class or handling. After driving everything out there from the Corvette to the Chrusler 300 I found the 545i with the sport package to be the best handling car I have ever driven. The progressive steering is awesome and stopping is as positive as is the neck snapping acceleration from the luxury type car. Once you get used to the screwy iDrive it's not as bad as it was in the earlier models and you get quite good at it. The Nav system isn't as intuitive or easy to use as the Lexus SC430 my wife has (which also boogies) but it's Okay. BMW has me two more years.

Cup holders are flimsy. Have at least one of the 12 Volt receptacles stay hot when the ignition is off for at least 60 minutes.

black beauty!
By dr smaha

2005 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

Can't wait to cross break-in period, this car is born to be driven hard. Exceptional handling, power to spare, gorgeous interior. What more can I say, except can't wait to drive the new m5. My jet black 545 truly gets better the faster and more demanding the driving gets, don't sell yourself short by going with the smaller 525/535. You will not be sorry with the sport-packaged v8. I've heard the iDrive was a paiN, but as a first time BMW buyer it is very easy to use. This car is why driving is so fun, I have no regrets at all, only tons of miles to enjoy. Ya-hoo!!

Luxurious interior, handling, very pleased with overall performance, and Ii haven't even pushed the motor.

possibly more horsepower (350-375 would be super)

Passes Anything INCLUDING gas stations
By Chief Black Bimmer

2005 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

When I was a kid, I had a 1968 Pontiac GTO, which could pass just about anything but a gas station. My new BMW 545 will pass that Goat, and gas stations, too (I get 18-19 mpg in town, 26-28 on the interstates). In fact, largely due to its wonderful 6- speed Steptronic transmission, it actually gets better gas mileage than my other Bimmer, a 2004 330 coupe with 5-speed auto. The much-reviled iDrive is easy to master if you take the time to study the owner's manual. I have little sympathy for the whiners who invest $50K+ on a terrific vehicle, but not several hours to read the manual. IDrive will be your friend if you let it. Ride and Handling - outstanding, as expected.

Fast, comfortable (standard seats), great handling. Much better-than- expected fuel economy. Bluetooth keeps me legal in NJ and NY. Navigation system pleasant surprise.

More interior storage space (a biggie). Flimsy cup holders in front. Turn signals not intuitive, as in my 3-series. Logic 7 has outstanding sound, but is overpriced at $1800.

Excellent Job
By Rich

2005 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

Ordered this 545i (still built in Germany) car and got it in 4 weeks. Excellent power and nice new interior with the Dakota Auburn Leather. Good solid fit and finish. Had an 02 540i and I like this one even more. Exterior styling they got mostly right, still looks determined and stout.

Heads up display, 18 ways seats, sound system and Sirius radio.

Larger CUP HOLDERS! Get rid of the STUPID directional lever and go back to the old one. I hate this "slightly touch" crap. Add seat cooling option. Improve the nav system, the Acura still has BMW beat by a longshot.